Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Dual Universe is the one unreleased game that'll compete with Star Citizen directly. By the way, with "Star Citizen" I don't mean SQ42. I don't particularily care about SQ42 and didn't back for that in particular.(And I'm far from alone in that regard.) I mean Star Citizen the MMO-esque game. So even mentioning COD and NMS(lol) doesn't do much.

Mind, that Dual Universe didn't even begin until the huge cryout for such a game was proven with SC's kickstarter. It's clear as day that they're aiming for that market.

E.D is competing with Star Citizen though already. They share many things in common in terms of gameplay. In fact, I'd bet lots of SC backers are currently playing E.D simply for the fact that it's the closest thing available that resembles SC.

And honestly? I'm not so sure everyone will "move over" to SC if the game mechanics disappoint. We'll have to see, but time is ticking.
    while dual and SC are similar the core gameplay will be different, dual will have a large portion of content on building and farming materials, the reason SC is taking so long is the amount of detail going into everything, no other game comes close to the quality in everything they are putting into the game.

Dual will be a game for mostly people who like to build things, where SC is focused on the experience, will probably try dual but my main game is still going to be SC and can still play both depending on your mood.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Another setback for SC today with the production schedule update. Even that one is optimistic.

It is pretty official by now, CIG is fighting against time. Dual Universe and other similar games will start buckling CIG's armor. Then IF Star Citizen releases, it will just be a subpar game.

I think you folks are in for a huge disappointment.
    Fortunately I didn't come for the MMORPG; I came for the campaign mode, and I have no doubt that CIG will deliver on that.

Dual Universe is the one unreleased game that'll compete with Star Citizen directly. By the way, with "Star Citizen" I don't mean SQ42. I don't particularily care about SQ42 and didn't back for that in particular.(And I'm far from alone in that regard.) I mean Star Citizen the MMO-esque game. So even mentioning COD and NMS(lol) doesn't do much.

Mind, that Dual Universe didn't even begin until the huge cryout for such a game was proven with SC's kickstarter. It's clear as day that they're aiming for that market.

E.D is competing with Star Citizen though already. They share many things in common in terms of gameplay. In fact, I'd bet lots of SC backers are currently playing E.D simply for the fact that it's the closest thing available that resembles SC.

And honestly? I'm not so sure everyone will "move over" to SC if the game mechanics disappoint. We'll have to see, but time is ticking.
    Honestly saying SC will be a subpar game and bringing Dual Universe as an example seems stupid to me. At least as it is looks now DU will compete NMS not SC, both graphics and gameplay wise. Minecraft in space style, while SC is a more traditional MMO, mixing SWG and WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    Honestly saying SC will be a subpar game and bringing Dual Universe as an example seems stupid to me. At least as it is looks now DU will compete NMS not SC, both graphics and gameplay wise. Minecraft in space style, while SC is a more traditional MMO, mixing SWG and WC.
    Don't get me wrong, the graphics of SC are good and it is one of its strongest points. But for me personally game mechanics matter more than graphics. What I mean when I say that SC will be a subpar game is that it simply won't be that technically amazing anymore by the time it releases.

As you may have seen I am one of the backers who became rather disgruntled over the years. With the recent update to the production schedule, I think I'll just sign off the RSI forum for about 6 months. Long story short, my faith in Chris Roberts And Sandi Roberts is no more.

Nope, totally haven't noticed you're a disgruntled backer as you reply 3x a page reminding everyone and shitposting.

The timeline is never going to be exact as its a game in development. With other games you just never know about the setbacks and revisions to the schedule, because you don't find out about that stuff until beta.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2017-01-22 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Nope, totally haven't noticed you're a disgruntled backer as you reply 3x a page reminding everyone and shitposting.

The timeline is never going to be exact as its a game in development. With other games you just never know about the setbacks and revisions to the schedule, because you don't find out about that stuff until beta.
    Not to mention, NEVER listen to CR regarding dates. Has he actually ever been right about the release date of something, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Not to mention, NEVER listen to CR regarding dates. Has he actually ever been right about the release date of something, yet?
    Arena and hangar modules came out when he said they would, as well as the playable Freelancer, just to name a few.

Additionally, Chris Roberts has always been clear - since the beginning of the development campaign - that unless he's giving an actual date and time and saying that's when the patch is going up, any "dates" he gives are "at the very earliest" estimates, not factual launch dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Arena and hangar modules came out when he said they would, as well as the playable Freelancer, just to name a few.
    Nah, Arena was ~6 months late.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Additionally, Chris Roberts has always been clear - since the beginning of the development campaign - that unless he's giving an actual date and time and saying that's when the patch is going up, any "dates" he gives are "at the very earliest" estimates, not factual launch dates.
    That's not good enough though. If you get up on stage and say that something is coming before the end of the year and then don't deliver, it can't be passed off as "not an actual date".
    The bloke says anything to get people opening their wallets and these suckers let him off the hook time and time again, perhaps worse still, they apologise for him.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post

But wouldn't you agree based on that stance alone that CIG's marketing has been quite shady att times? We're not just talking about them throwing dates around, they repeatedly and purposefully build hype on something only to fall silent about it. Latest example being the SQ42 vertical slice / demo that was "just around the corner" long enough for the sale period. Now we're not getting it because of reasons. This has been an ongoing thing and a major source with regards to burnout for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one that hasn't figured out how to switch loadout in Star Marine :V

I feel dumb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Am I the only one that hasn't figured out how to switch loadout in Star Marine :V

I feel dumb
    you can only change your loadout before you enter a match, you will be able to change your loadout in the waiting room with the next patch 2.6.1 though. also when you change your loadout currently you have to wait 30s to a minute before you enter a game for the loadout to save.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    you can only change your loadout before you enter a match, you will be able to change your loadout in the waiting room with the next patch 2.6.1 though. also when you change your loadout currently you have to wait 30s to a minute before you enter a game for the loadout to save.
    But when I'm in a match can I switch between Light/Medium?

This with the SQ42 demo is the stupidest example you could have used.
    With 370 developers do you think they couldn't make a functioning demo even if they just script everything? They could easily.
    Actually this just shows they don't want to spend man hours for a demo any more(just as they stated) because if would decide to show it they could finish it in a week with the manpower and talent they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    But when I'm in a match can I switch between Light/Medium?
    i don't believe you will be able to atm. remember this is only the first iteration and they will make changes and add features as the alpha test progresses.

- - - Updated - - -

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    This with the SQ42 demo is the stupidest example you could have used.
    With 370 developers do you think they couldn't make a functioning demo even if they just script everything? They could easily.
    Actually this just shows they don't want to spend man hours for a demo any more(just as they stated) because if would decide to show it they could finish it in a week with the manpower and talent they have.
    No, they can't. That's why with all hands on deck they were unable to produce the SQ42 demo in time. It's much more complicated than you think and not all of those 370 are even skilled in the most difficult aspects of SC; the technical department.

CIG can make commercials, art and other digital media but can't get the tech together. Look at Tony Z's last 45mins of full theorycrafting. You can forget all about 4.0 this year, It's just more talk from Chris Roberts.

Btw, Star Citizen is sinking straight into the Hole that Freelancer was in. Last time they had to kick Chris Roberts off. What will it take this time? Who knows.

I deny paying money to something that is not completed, hell maybe even not going to be completed at all. Well, I still have hope. If I'd be nice kid, one day I can see it released!!

When is this game coming out? I remember people buying new gtx 970's in anticipation of this game. Also is this game worth buying as someone who did not buy into it during the crowd funding portion? It seems like I would get substantially less out of the game than them.

Quote Originally Posted by helic View Post
    When is this game coming out? I remember people buying new gtx 970's in anticipation of this game. Also is this game worth buying as someone who did not buy into it during the crowd funding portion? It seems like I would get substantially less out of the game than them.
    No date as yet. 2019 or 2020 is probably as good a guess as any tbh. They're hoping to get patch 3.0 released sometime this year with patch 4.0 (beta) coming atleast 12 months later (will probably be more knowing CIG). The first chapter of the single player game is meant to be coming out this year (but they said that last year as well).

My advice would be to try a free-fly week before making a purchase, and really you want to hold out until 3.0 gets here for some actual gameplay loops. It's a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    The problem is that they kept adding more and more to the game as the money came in. All I wanted was a solid space flight sim again...not all the extra crud that is causing it take forever to build.

That said, if they manage to pull it all off, it will be a very complete and amazing game.

Nobody knows. They've split the game into two components, Squadron 42 which is single player. They used to advertise "Answer the call - 2016" but now no one knows when it will be released. As for the MMO portion(which I backed for), that's not even on the map to be released yet. As someone else posted, check back 2018-2020.

Don't buy into it now. Wait until (if) it gets released. I spent $600 total over the years, now I won't spend a dime more until they prove they can deliver the game they've promised. It's mostly still just talk, which should worry people. But yeah, hold off until release.