Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    Theres still the requirement that you can hire as long as you've been able to prove you've looked for AMerican workers first. If a company absolutely cant find anyone with reasonable req, they can still go get people outside. This just encourages internal investment. If you dont invest internally and just import people, at some point your're gonna collapse when the natives just cant get the work anymore.

AKA there's a middle ground between not hiring at all, and only bringing in immigrants because of sky high expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanna explain how students get exp then? Especially when internships can just be replaced with low cost H1B instead?

and Ive looke dat entry level. "entry level" is now also requiring experience. Its insane.
    Why not keep that requirement but get rid of the $130k one? That's a huge barrier for workers.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    First off I don't know why you linked that. It's talking about one universities output of Computer Science degree major in one year. The second, I'll have to due my due dillegence and research because I can't at the moment fact check nor am I familiar with geekwire.

I think Congress has to change the H1B visa program, Trump can't do it with an executive order. He might have trouble convincing a pro-business Congress to change the H1B visa program.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The market asks for skilled workers and cares a shit about the idea they have to be "american". If you want to get the position where skill is needed, become skilled. At the job market it is about abilities and experience, and not about if you come from the US of A.

They surely will not gain experience if noone is left to learn them as the skilled people have been banned from america.
    If those companies want the tax benefits of being American then they better higher American first. I do agree with trump 100% on that. And your second comment is just a drastic exaggeration bordering on fictitious.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    First off I don't know why you linked that. It's talking about one universities output of Computer Science degree major in one year. The second, I'll have to due my due dillegence and research because I can't at the moment fact check nor am I familiar with geekwire.
    The first link was more to back up my claim that the industry demand far outstrips the supply. I understand the computer science major =/ all tech jobs, but 16K actual graduates in year is paltry no matter which way you look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure he wouldn't be signing this if "Trump Hotels" was "Trump Tech".
    While i'm not a huge fan of all types of job outsourcing...isn't free markets all about getting the best bang for the buck?

10+ Year Old Account
    The market asks for skilled workers and cares a shit about the idea they have to be "american". If you want to get the position where skill is needed, become skilled. At the job market it is about abilities and experience, and not about if you come from the US of A.

They surely will not gain experience if noone is left to learn them as the skilled people have been banned from america.
    That makes zero sense. It means that companies will have to invest in employees who may have the skills but not the exp. This is generally a bigger boon for the local economy.

No one is saying the natives arent skilled. Whats happening is people are being replaced, regardless of being skilled, because immigrants cost less and / or have more exp. Its basically capitalism starting to run amok, and thats when it needs to be curtailed a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Why not keep that requirement but get rid of the $130k one? That's a huge barrier for workers.
    Id be ok with adjusting that amount based on need of an industry. It does seem....a bit high.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    While i'm not a huge fan of all types of job outsourcing...isn't free markets all about getting the best bang for the buck?
    Free markets are only good until they start to become abusive to the local populace. Hence, the need to stop HIB abuse.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Free market is only good until they start being detrimental to the country in which they're based in.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes zero sense. It means that companies will have to invest in employees who may have the skills but not the exp. This is generally a bigger boon for the local economy.

No one is saying the natives arent skilled. Whats happening is people are being replaced, regardless of being skilled, because immigrants cost less and / or have more exp. Its basically capitalism starting to run amok, and thats when it needs to be curtailed a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Id be ok with adjusting that amount based on need of an industry. It does seem....a bit high.

- - - Updated - - -

Free markets are only good until they start to become abusive to the local populace. Hence, the need to stop HIB abuse.
    Exactly it!

Deleted
    You automatically have less skills if you are less experienced. Once again, nationality is completely irrelevant when its about highly skilled and experienced people.

No one is saying the natives arent skilled.
    Obviously there arent enough skilled people in special branches, or the companies would not try to get employees from other countries. That its all about "costs" only is nothing but an alt right fairy tale.

Whats happening is people are being replaced, regardless of being skilled, because immigrants cost less and / or have more exp. Its basically capitalism starting to run amok, and thats when it needs to be curtailed a bit.
    And you want to replace capitalism by national preference?

Not much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free market is only good until they start being detrimental to the country in which they're based in.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly it!
    My current job is stat based, and my dad is pretty heavy into the computer software industry. Lack of internal investment due to laziness and preference for already exp employees seems to be the biggest hurdle, according to him anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...tool/97240588/

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, sure, it sounds nice to emphasize getting these companies to hire American workers, but then again, are there actually enough American workers to fill the void this will leave? Will companies just up and leave to greener pastures?
    There are not enough.

And it's a fantasy there will ever be.

American tech will bounce in time. And we should. $130k? Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    You automatically have less skills if you are less experienced. Once again, nationality is completely irrelevant when its about highly skilled and experienced people.

Obviously there arent enough skilled people in special branches, or the companies would not try to get employees from other countries. That its all about "costs" only is nothing but an alt right fairy tale.

Not much better.
    Just speaking from my own experience in the industry *shrug* Feel free to believe me or not.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more sympathetic if many places weren't shooting for the moon, then going outside of US when SHOCKINGLY, they cant find anyone. Or they replace American workers with non American.

There is an abuse of the system going on, and it needs to get fixed. Wether this does anything to help that, will wait and see.
    Setting a floor on their wages does exactly that, it eliminates the primary factor that leads companies to favor them.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Not much better.
    I do when they're benefiting from the tax breaks and benefits that go along with being part of the strongest buying power in the world. Yes. If they want the insane loopholes and tax breaks than they put the country they're getting them from first.

10+ Year Old Account
    My current job is stat based, and my dad is pretty heavy into the computer software industry. Lack of internal investment due to laziness and preference for already exp employees seems to be the biggest hurdle, according to him anyways.
    Businesses trying to avoid the costs of training new employees isn't new, or rare.

Deleted
    If those companies want the tax benefits of being American then they better higher American first. I do agree with trump 100% on that. And your second comment is just a drastic exaggeration bordering on fictitious.
    The companies are interested in skill first and experience first.

America cant deliver? Well, then lets get the skilled people we need outside of america.

Only because Joe Hillbillie voted for trump doesnt mean he will become Google CEO in "america first".

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Setting a floor on their wages does exactly that, it eliminates the primary factor that leads companies to favor them.
    I'm confused are you in favor of eliminating minimum wage?

I imagine this will not please a lot of businesses, but theoretically should be better for America.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The companies are interested in skill first and experience first.

America cant deliver? Well, then lets get the skilled people we need outside of america.

Only because Joe Hillbillie voted for trump doesnt mean he will become Google CEO in "america first".
    The thing is even when America can deliver they're still abusing the H1b visas. See my first comment in the thread.

That is a gigantic leap in the cost of minimum wage. Personally, I think this is going to cause the IT field to suffer. Like it, or not, companies outsourced for a reason. Foreigners filled specialized roles that many Americans didn't want to do, even in the IT field. I have met two American-born Database administrators in the last 10 years. That is two out of literally hundreds that I have met.

I wonder how this is going to impact government agencies, since they tend to hire quite a few foreigners for work in their offices, especially in the DC area. There's no way in hell their budgets can afford double employee wages for some of its staff, so they will either have to fire people in order to hire Americans... or just fire people.