Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Excessive wall of rant which doesn't actually refute my opinion
    The original system in which legendaries were rare and awesome was better, yes. I don't know why you're bringing up systems after than when I pretty clearly stated the point that they sucked starting with cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Honestly they should have made class specific quest lines that let you target specific ones and obtain them in Legion.
    So players could complain saying Blizzard was forcing them to play certain content they didn't want to play?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The original system in which legendaries were rare and awesome was better, yes. I don't know why you're bringing up systems after than when I pretty clearly stated the point that they sucked starting with cata.
    Because you're wrong. The legendaries were completely irrelevant in the original system, because only a few people on the server had them. They also dropped after any raid progression was done. They had no relevance at all. They were just a ePeen extension for the extremely lucky.

They've been increasing in relevance ever since Cata. Right now, they're very relevant.

When they went from something that maybe one or two people in your guild had (and the whole guild worked to help them get it) to something every player felt entitled to/obligated to have.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Because you're wrong. The legendaries were completely irrelevant in the original system, because only a few people on the server had them. They also dropped after any raid progression was done. They had no relevance at all. They were just a ePeen extension for the extremely lucky.

They've been increasing in relevance ever since Cata. Right now, they're very relevant.
    First, an opinion can't be wrong, that's not how that works.

Second, I don't think you know what the word "relevant" means, although to be fair I doubt the OP does either.

Despite what the oddly entitled modern gamer seems to believe, it's ok for games to have things not everyone gets. Do you also rant about lottery systems because everyone doesn't win despite spending the same entry fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted

Exclusivity does not conclude Irrelevance.

reading a few comments on this have been great!
    also agree with some peoples comments
    my opinion legendaries are being handed out like freebies soon we will all be dressed on orange!
    for legion they havent really lost 'relevance' because if you dont rng the right one you get benched =(or you re roll to the toon that was lucky enough to rng the most op legendary at the time.
    when you see that beautiful orange colour, need to feel like youve done something grand and out of this world, jump/fall out of your chair.
    i liked how they used to work when you needed a guild to achieve them. yes it sucked only certain classes got them but it took 25 people to earn it and everyone in that guild should feel proud.
    when you inspect the person and they have the legendary it was like OMFG NOOO WAY!!

when i inspect someone i wanna see a variety of colours personally lol, i sorta liked the mistake with secondary stats better, some people rocked a green or a blue, they didnt just chuck on the next epic they happened to get.
    ive been saying to my friends i play with what if gear was something like this, (personal opinion)
    -raid finder -5mans =greens
    -mythic+ 1-5 normal raid = blues
    -mythic+ 6+ herioc mythic raid =purple
    how cool would it be to see when you inspected someone
    yeah i know my friends tell me im living lala land haha /sigh

omg super long post >< sorry thanks if you manage to read it all

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    So players could complain saying Blizzard was forcing them to play certain content they didn't want to play?
    No they could have both systems in place, you can ignore the quests and go RNG too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    yep sulfuras thunderfury and warglaives were clearly hard work and not random drops

the quest legendaries were the best since u had to actually work for em and not pray for a 2.5% drop

thanks for proving you have no idea, people needed 4+ warglaives to defeat m'uru so much about they werent a big deal

so much elitism and people with no clue in this thread jeez
    Ye you have no clue... ive played since vanilla and ive never heard of needing warglaives to kill muru. And i frekking watched the race.
    /watch?v=7gAbkaop0g0
    Thats a pre-nerf muru... they have like 2 melee dps in the grp that could wear warglaives. So much for your theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post

Wait what? Old legendaries absolutely were game changing.
    Not at all... never did i see pug raid groups going "lfm dps need thunderfury" or shadowmourne or any other legendary... never. And never did i have any of those legendaries and it didnt stop me from being one of the top dps in the guild despite someone having a legendary.
    First time it started happening was pandaria "lfm dps cloak required".
    Last edited by Otaka; 2017-02-01 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Everyone had a chance to get them. You had to put in work and time and effort to get them. No one should be handed anything. Your not entitled to the rarest and best weapons. Your mentality is why this game is as it is today.
    And there is nothing wrong with today's game.

And no. Not everyone had a chance to get them. They were usually reserved for GMs/Officers/certain special people in the raid group. Not everyone would get this chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    And there is nothing wrong with today's game.

And no. Not everyone had a chance to get them. They were usually reserved for GMs/Officers/certain special people in the raid group. Not everyone would get this chance.
    the population count and dead servers would speak against nothing being wrong with todays game.

the population count and dead servers would speak against nothing being wrong with todays game.
    And you think content that is inaccessible to MORE people is a fix for this?

Nothing lasts forever. At some point people move on from WoW.

And you think content that is inaccessible to MORE people is a fix for this?

Nothing lasts forever. At some point people move on from WoW.
    the content has always been there for everyone. All the people i saw that got legendaries were performers. You perform well you get higher on the list. You dont deserve to get to see all the content or gear just by subbing you get the ability to put in effort to get it.

the content has always been there for everyone. All the people i saw that got legendaries were performers. You perform well you get higher on the list. You dont deserve to get to see all the content or gear just by subbing you get the ability to put in effort to get it.
    Which is no different than what we have now. You aren't just handed anything. You have to do something to acquire it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that the MoP cloak was fine if it had been a one-off. Like a lot of other things WoD drove a bad idea into the ground and cheapened what it meant.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Which is no different than what we have now. You aren't just handed anything. You have to do something to acquire it.
    literally everyone and thier alts had the cape. you get legendaries from fucking everything now. Sorry dude they arnt legendary anymore. They are just uncommon epics. We are a step away from every subbing customer getting mailed gear.

At least the cloak quest was hard

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    What was wrong was using them to milk sub fees out of the players. Gota keep playing not because the game is good, (and it was horrible during mop) but because I don't want to fall behind on my legendary quest and not be able to get in a decent raid group.

I better buy the next expansion (wod). If i don't keep up on my legendary quest, i'll fall behind and never get in a decent raid group.

I better buy Legion and maintain my sub. If I fall behind on the artifact weapon, i'll never get in a good raid group...

And the cycle continues.
    As oppose to the drama when it drops.

<XXX Legendary > Drops.

I deserve it because I did the most DPS, best tank, best healer, best whatever.

I deserve it because I have been in the guild for the longest.

I deserve it because I never missed a raid.

I deserve it because I contribute to the guild bank.

I deserve it because I am the GM/RL/Officer GF/BF/Pet cat.

I deserve it because I am the GM/RL/Master looter.

Give it to me and I will be your BF/GF/Pet cat.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Personally, I rather they remove the whole legendary. It causes more issue than it is worse. No matter what system they use, some will complain about it.

Before it was 100% drop if you did the quest chain, it was yours. Some prefer the RNG.

We now have RNG and some are complaining it is not dropping even now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    used to have to work towards getting a legendary. slowly got easier and easier and now what should be the most prestigious items in the game are randomly generated.
    In Vanilla when 39 people had to carry one guy....

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to answer the question with this opinion - were they ever relevant?
    Depending on who you ask, they weren't relevant or special for 90%+ of players back in classic through Cataclysm, where one player out of the minority of higher end raiders received them. Players didn't really see them for the most part.
    Depending on who you ask, they aren't relevant or special for anyone from MoP onwards when they became accessible for all players, necessitating a social "requirement" to have them. Players are expected to have them for the most part.