Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    She's doing what publicists usually do, reminding him of key talking points (his identity as a Muslim). This is literally bog-standard shit that happens on a daily basis in politics, and in much of the business world. They don't do it as poorly as Pelosi does (I'm really not a fan of her), but it's not unique or different.

Yes, her reason is that because he's a Muslim. And given this administrations comments on Muslims and the concerns from liberals, that provides all the context as to why.

But sure, this is some shadowy conspiracy or somehow proof of how racist Democrats are or something. Whatever works for the world you live in, dude.
    The problem isn't that she's reminding him of the talking point. The problem is that she makes it the single matter of relevance over literally everything else. Calling "conspiracy theory" on it though is just dishonest. It's garbage decision making endemic of bad people trying their damndest to masquerade as decent ones. No one's treating it like a conspiracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    So.... the 'alt-right' pretty much?
    It's always them and not us, huh? This clearly was not aimed at the alt-right, but at the hypocrites who pretend they're not equally vapid when all they need is a trigger word like Muslim to let them know that his speech is important because of his religion and not because of its content or context.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    It's got nothing to do with "trumpers" actually. I despise trump, voted against him, desperately wanted Hillary to beat him in the election even though I dislike her because she was better than the alternative, yet I'm still quite disgusted with this. The most powerful representative of the party we're supposed to accept as the more decent and better alternative can't resist stooping to race baiting and stereotyping to get a cheap pop from a crowd.

It's out of touch crap like this that cost the Democrats the election and got everyone stuck with the orange tyrant.
    I see it as an effort to try and fight this absurd stereotype that the fear mongers feed upon and atir up their ilk into a frenzy with. Is it taking the high road no. Is it entirely helpful, probably not. This is because there are.fools out there that hate Muslims and believe they are all vile blood thirsty terrorists because that is what they are being taught.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The problem isn't that she's reminding him of the talking point. The problem is that she makes it the single matter of relevance over literally everything else. Calling "conspiracy theory" on it though is just dishonest. It's garbage decision making endemic of bad people trying their damndest to masquerade as decent ones. No one's treating it like a conspiracy.
    How is she making it a single matter of relevance over literally everything else? Did she tell him to shut up and only talk about his identify as a Muslim? Did the forbid him from other topics?

No, she reminded him of a key, and relevant talking point. Again, this is standard shit, even if it's super amateurishly executed by Pelosi.

I'm jabbing at Zombergy's continued attempts to make mountains out of molehills when Democrats do anything rather than calling it a proper "conspiracy theory". It is not a garbage decision, it's a highly relevant piece of personal information in the current political environment, it's just Pelosi having the tact of a fucking rhinoceros on steroids.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

It's always them and not us, huh? This clearly was not aimed at the alt-right, but at the hypocrites who pretend they're not equally vapid when all they need is a trigger word like Muslim to let them know that his speech is important because of his religion and not because of its content or context.
    It was just a little jab, seeing the name and image of the OP.

However, him being a muslim is context, important one too. This goes for both the current events and the fact he is just the second muslim to be elected for congress (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Carson).

Pelosi is a moron and I view that as a non Partisan issue, I don't see how she keeps getting re-elected.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people can agree that identity politics are negative, to say the least. And they occur in both parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I think most people can agree that identity politics are negative, to say the least. And they occur in both parties.
    Yep.

Whether based on religion or origin, it's been overly used by anyone and everyone to demonize those who disagree with them.

It's time to lose this and focus on individuals.

Or perhaps humans are just happy enough to have a group they can openly hate?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    Its the fact that shes standing there next to the guy and before he even gets 2 words out shes reducing him and anything he has to say down to an identity.

Isn't that exactly what Trump's Muslim ban did? Reducing everyone of a certain background down to one identifying characteristic, and holding them based on that?

You're all fucking morons and none of you are capable of seeing it. Anyone who voted for Donald Trump had a hand in putting this country back 200 years socially, and anyone who is playing it to their advantage from the other side is just as guilty. The guy is president... impeach him or deal with it.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Deleted
    I thought all the anti-Trump ppl would be in Canada by now.
    Guess another broken promise from the left.

I don't get it... Whats your point, OP?

Um, her whole point was to show that Muslims are good people. I'm not sure what the big deal is. She didn't ignore all of his qualifications, she was using them to show that Muslims aren't bad.

Also hilarious when the right tries to complain about identify politics when they do it all the damn time.

Watching the diehard libs try and defend this is kind of depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Identity politics is fucking horseshit and needs to stop.

This is a non story.

The guy was indeed a muslim.
    Muslims are a hot topic right now.

Try again trumpette.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

This is just locker room talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Pelosi is a moron and I view that as a non Partisan issue, I don't see how she keeps getting re-elected.
    She gets 80-85% of the votes when she runs is how.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Watching the diehard libs try and defend this is kind of depressing.
    Defend what? What's the "bad" here? That she's reminding him to bring up a relevant, topical, point and continue to put a human face on Muslims in the face of the nonstop demonizing of followers of that religion from the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    This is just locker room talk.
    And this, is a pointless post that's offensive in the comparison it is trying to make.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-02-01 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    She gets 80-85% of the votes when she runs is how.
    In San Francisco, where it is a requirement to be mentally ill to win elections.

- - - Updated - - -

Defend what? What's the "bad" here? That she's reminding him to bring up a relevant, topical, point and continue to put a human face on Muslims in the face of the nonstop demonizing of followers of that religion from the right?
    Yes it's all demonizing from the right, nothing to do with the past genocides in the name of Islam.

The OP laid it out: she's reducing him to a a manipulation point. This is not healthy and this is not progress. These hypocritical liberals talk about accepting one another, and that race/sex/religion doesn't matter yet they're the first ones to draw the lines and divisions. It doesn't matter what his religion is. That she feels compelled to point it out demonstrates she's the one focusing on religion. It's all bullshit. Progressives don't want equality, because then they can't turn people against each other and play the victim card to manipulate people like many in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Yes it's all demonizing from the right, nothing to do with the past genocides in the name of Islam.
    Which genocide is going on right now? Please show me that the majority of Muslims are violent extremists who hate America. Because right now, there's a far greater threat from everyday American's with a gun than from radical Muslim terrorists.

And last I recall, none of the refugee's we've been accepting have been involved in a terrorist attack. They've caught terrorists trying to come in with refugee's (the temporary hold on Iraqi refugee's in 2011 following a foiled plot), but that's it as far as I recall.

This is fearmongering bullshit and islamophobia, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    The OP laid it out: she's reducing him to a a manipulation point. This is not healthy and this is not progress. These hypocritical liberals talk about accepting one another, and that race/sex/religion doesn't matter yet they're the first ones to draw the lines and divisions. It doesn't matter what his religion is. That she feels compelled to point it out demonstrates she's the one focusing on religion. It's all bullshit. Progressives don't want equality, because then they can't turn people against each other and play the victim card to manipulate people like many in this thread.
    No, she's not reducing him to shit. She's reminding him of a key talking point, his identity as a Muslim, but she is not reducing or detracting from anything else.

This is literally people on the right making shit up right now.

And yes, while I agree that at times the left pushes identity politics too far, what you're asking for is essentially whitewashing away peoples personal identities because they happen to be something other than white dudes and you're sick of hearing about non-white dudes.