Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Well... Shit. that's twice in two days I've seen a name that I NEVER would have thought of for The Doctor, and now think it would really work. I think Ruth Negga would be a VERY interesting choice. Tbh, even if she doesn't get cast as the Doctor, I'd love to get her in the show in ANY role.

As for Hayley Atwell... Eww, no.

For me, it's Russel Tovey > Jason Flemyng > Olivia Coleman > Ruth Negga.
    What's wrong with Atwell? She seems to be a favourite for a female doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    What's wrong with Atwell? She seems to be a favourite for a female doctor.
    She's kinda the female Ben Whishaw... Something about her face just pisses me off. It doesn't help that Agent Carter was just SUCH a clusterfuck and she's forever linked with that character, for me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Amanda Tapping? She's already (years ago though) mentioned that she'd love to play the Doctor.
    She did real good in Stargate & Sanctuary and to me especially the latter makes her a suitable candidate as it means that she has already played an 'old' character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    She's kinda the female Ben Whishaw... Something about her face just pisses me off. It doesn't help that Agent Carter was just SUCH a clusterfuck and she's forever linked with that character, for me.
    I haven't seen Agent Carter I'm just going off of her role in Captain America which was strong. I think it's unfair to blame her for bad writing in agent carter (if the writing is indeed bad, I wouldn't know). As for being the female ben wishaw, I don't really get that because to me the problem with Ben Wishaw is that he's basically just a 10/11 hybrid who as the doctor would very obviously be pandering to that niche. Atwell I think could offer something new.

Deleted
    Bring back Eccleston for the shocker.

i think the doctor will most likely be

1. someone nobody has heard of. outside of capaldi everyone else was lowkey

2. someone young

3. someone who isnt white.

we know from neil gaiman that before matt smith the part was offered to a black actor who turned it down and i have a feeling to shake things up they'll try to go for someone whos black or middle eastern

- - - Updated - - -

and if they do go for someone white i imagine it will just be a carbon copy of matt/david a young dude with strange hair like a clone of eddie redmane or some shit
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The new face of the Doctor

You know the Doctor is not completely sane. This seems too perfect.

Plus you have to admit, he is a hell of an actor.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    I don't like the idea of any actor who already has a strong character "attached" to his image. Hugh Laurie or that Sherlock guy would both be huge nopes for me.

Could the Doctor change race for once? Just to make a stupid pun, I want an Ood next. And rename the show Doctor Ood.
    Doctorhood
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    The new face of the Doctor
    I would be 1000000000% behind this. Iwan Rheon is a FANTASTIC actor and can easily handle the range required for portraying The Doctor. Plus, he's said a few times now that he doesn't want to be typecast as the bad guy, so getting the role of one of the TV's longest running heroes would certainly fix that!

Then, for extra lols, cast Charlotte Hope as his companion!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Barry would be a fine choice
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Is it prejudice that I do not want the doctor to be a different race, or female? I am neither sexist nor racist, I just feel the character always fit his current archetype. I dont think I could get used to anything else
    Not at all. It's not racist, sexist or prejudiced to believe that a character should be how they've always been. There's growth and then there is change for change's sake. The first should be encouraged, the second avoided... IMO at least.

There ARE a few actors that are PoC, or women who I think could be fantastic as The Doctor, but that's on their own merits, not because I think "It's 2017 and the doctor should be female, damnit!" (direct quote from an article I read).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    No, Hugh Laurie all the way.
    Sorry but Patrick Stewart would easily beat him in anything

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I feel like iZombie will be canceled soon enough.
    Nope it wont

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    After watching doctor strange I can see Tilda Swinton as an interesting female doctor if they had to go the female route.
    God no! lets be the doctor at least an asian

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Is it prejudice that I do not want the doctor to be a different race, or female? I am neither sexist nor racist, I just feel the character always fit his current archetype. I dont think I could get used to anything else
    I would prefer it that they didn't change race or gender of the doctor.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    We can only dream about a world in which Hugh Laurie gets to be doctor who.
    or we just be thankfull that it will NEVER happen

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    That's a flag in the ground that was better left outside. We get controversial enough in here. He has many names, the most important of which we don't even know. Really wasn't necessary to try and get back into this line of debate.
    that was not a debate but stating a fact....

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I would prefer it that they didn't change race or gender of the doctor.
    It would be a bit jarring if the doctor was to constantly switch between, gay female, gay male, white male, black male, asian male, asian female. Maybe a stint as a brazillian, or a russian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    or we just be thankfull that it will NEVER happen

- - - Updated - - -

that was not a debate but stating a fact....
    Is there anyone you actually DO want as the new doc?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

tbh I don't really want a female doctor. For the same reason I don't generally like books or really most tv series with a female lead. When I read/watch things I enjoy them by imagining myself in the shoes of the main character going on these adventures and doing all these fun and crazy things. I can't do that with a female character it just doesn't click well in my brain.

That's not me saying that women shouldn't be actors or main characters, it just won't necessarily be an instant watch for me.
    That's something that people tend to overlook about Doctor Who - The Doctor really isn't the main character. The companions are. We're supposed to be putting ourselves into the shoes of the companions, imagining them as us going on these strange new adventures. The Doctor himself is a maguffin, a plot device to enable our adventures, just as much as the TARDIS he drives. He's so mysterious and separate from the rest of us that we don't even get to know his real name! We almost never see the universe from his point of view, and the few times we have, it's in order for him to stress the need to have companions through which he can see the universe. He himself is identifying with his own companions as much as the audience is supposed to. He's an enigma for us to try to solve, not a protagonist we're supposed to identify with.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    That's something that people tend to overlook about Doctor Who - The Doctor really isn't the main character. The companions are. We're supposed to be putting ourselves into the shoes of the companions, imagining them as us going on these strange new adventures. The Doctor himself is a maguffin, a plot device to enable our adventures, just as much as the TARDIS he drives. He's so mysterious and separate from the rest of us that we don't even get to know his real name! We almost never see the universe from his point of view, and the few times we have, it's in order for him to stress the need to have companions through which he can see the universe. He himself is identifying with his own companions as much as the audience is supposed to. He's an enigma for us to try to solve, not a protagonist we're supposed to identify with.
    If I had to identify with one of the companions I'd probably be even less likely to watch it. The female companions we already sort of covered in the explanation you quoted of mine. But the male companions I typically find annoying. Rory as a prime example was incredibly whiney. Mickey even more so.

The only male companion I loved was Captain jack Harkness. And I love torchwood too because of him
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Sorry but Patrick Stewart would easily beat him in anything
    I am not sure if he could really pull off the role of the Doctor, I just don't see it.

If I had to identify with one of the companions I'd probably be even less likely to watch it. The female companions we already sort of covered in the explanation you quoted of mine. But the male companions I typically find annoying. Rory as a prime example was incredibly whiney. Mickey even more so.

The only male companion I loved was Captain jack Harkness. And I love torchwood too because of him
    The thing is, we never have had a male companion that has not been attached to a female companion besides Jack really. Which was why I was hoping we could have a brand new male companion for the next one that is coming up...but that did not happen.
    Last edited by apepi; 2017-02-02 at 08:25 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The thing is, we never have had a male companion that has not been attached to a female companion besides Jack really. Which was why I was hoping we could have a brand new male companion for the next one that is coming up...but that did not happen.
    Ah, for the good old days of Jamie McCrimmon, or the Brigadier, or Turlough, or Adric.

Wait, no. Not Adric. Never Adric.

Wilfred was a great companion, shame he was just a one-shot.