Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    We still have Saudi Arabia. He hasn't offended them yet.

(sarcasm btw)
    Given the hereditary dictatorship's de facto slavery, near-theocracy, ongoing abuse of women, and reckless military adventures, Trump probably looks at them as something to emulate.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Christ. We're going to run out of allies by the end of the week, and he hasn't even been in office a month.
    Not really, no

Some of the US alliances have remained with shifting governments on both sides for a century or more, they will endure

I foresee this kind of thing as playing well to the public. Hear my whole thing: There seems to be a sizable portion of the public that doesn't trust the motivations of any politician, Democrat or Republican. And along comes Trump, who is so transparent that you can tell what news channel he was watching by what Twitter outrage he types out. Trump is either the most transparent president in history, or he's playing the ultimate in 4D chess. If it's the former, as long as he doesn't commit some outsized destruction, political or otherwise, and as long as he continues to make decisions that the American people support, I can see a Trump presidency rising in popularity.

I ahve read for several news sources that Trump hung up after Turnbull wanted to talk about actual policy and not Trump inauguration crowd numbers. What a butt sore cunt Trump is. He is still bitching about this and hangs up when no one wnats to hear about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    A: Trump can't hold ANY moral ground on refugees.
    B: Australia is has the highest per capita intake of UNHCR refugees.
    C: Australia is #14 in the world in immigration intake per capita
    D: Australia aggressively discourages the exploitation of innocent and vulnerable people that was leading to thousands of deaths a year. That is the better of two really crappy choices.

So no - Trump has NO grounds at all to blast Australia about refugees.

The TPP on the other hand, Trump is theoretically more qualified to discuss that, and Australia's position was definitively in the wrong - so sure, blast him on that.

BUT - to attack one of the US's longest and strongest allies is just not smart. That's the issue here.
    Turnbull has run some very good businesses over the years and can actually string a sentenve together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lellybaby View Post
    What you have to understand is that the Australian Government is sick of having to justify the harsh treatment of the ~1200 people who are on off-shore detention centres. Its easy pickings for the opposition and its become a real annoyance for the general population.

They've been trying to find a solution for several years and for a government with very few political wins or popular policies they would have earned some big brownie points (even from progressives) for sorting this out.

With it not happening now the Prime Minister will be seen as weaker than before by both the opposition and the red-eyed conservatives in his own party, and as shown in our recent history, Australia doesn't mind changing their prime ministers if they suck at the job.
    The deal is still happening, that's why Trump is so pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lellybaby View Post
    What you have to understand is that the Australian Government is sick of having to justify the harsh treatment of the ~1200 people who are on off-shore detention centres. Its easy pickings for the opposition and its become a real annoyance for the general population.

They've been trying to find a solution for several years and for a government with very few political wins or popular policies they would have earned some big brownie points (even from progressives) for sorting this out.

With it not happening now the Prime Minister will be seen as weaker than before by both the opposition and the red-eyed conservatives in his own party, and as shown in our recent history, Australia doesn't mind changing their prime ministers if they suck at the job.
    What's the problem with letting those 1200 into your country?
    I mean we are much, much smaller and let almost 40000 people in this year, and around 90000 in 2015 and it's not really a problem (only in the minds of the far right).
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Every time a Republican President comes into power claiming that he will make the world respect us again, we inevitably end up having to pretend we're Canadians when we go abroad.

Time to get the maple leaf outfits again.
    Word, I wearing plaid and practicing the Lumberjack song.

Aren't these calls supposed to be secret? Who leaked the call?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Aren't these calls supposed to be secret? Who leaked the call?
    Trump is using an unsecured blackberry and email server. So its either Putin or Wikileaks, leaking this, take your pick!

Trick question, they're the same person.

Christ. We're going to run out of allies by the end of the week, and he hasn't even been in office a month.

Yes, yes we did.
    Don't worry. We're adults and understand that Trump is just a temporary tantrum the US is throwing. In 4 years, we'll get back to business as usual. Or whenever you impeach him. No harm done. Nothing irreversible happened, yet.

- - - Updated - - -

If things keep going the way they're going, Canada might offer us refugee status.
    Haha, I thought people were joking during the election... but I think that idea is getting more attractive by the day, isn't it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Absolutely! It was totally right to attack one of our closest allies. No need to discuss the issue with them, let's yell at them, then boast, then hang up. That's how adults communicate.
    Don't forget that adult politicians always go around saying "What a dumb deal!" That's masterclass debating.

Btw, it's a sad day for politics when I actually contemplate if MMO-C GenOT would make a better politician than the US president. I shit you not, I am highly amused that he's able to surprise even this cesspit of bad ideas.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Don't forget that adult politicians always go around saying "What a dumb deal!" That's masterclass debating.

Btw, it's a sad day for politics when I actually contemplate if MMO-C GenOT would make a better politician than the US president. I shit you not, I am highly amused that he's able to surprise even this cesspit of bad ideas.
    At this point I am not sure if Trump really has a say in anything. From his past behaviour I think he just enjoys the spotlight and leaves the work to others.
    That's why he seems so surprised when he reads the EOs aloud, like he is reading it for the very first time and doesn't really understand what he is signing.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Also after reading Trumps tweet on this deal foes he know the difference between asylum-seekers and illegal immigrants? The only reason they are not staying in Australia is because they tried to get here on a boat.

15+ Year Old Account
    If things keep going the way they're going, Canada might offer us refugee status.
    We are, actually
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    No, we know that Pence is going to come along at one point. Even my mom, who isn't super interested in Trump, asked me when the US government is "going to change batteries".

Well to be fair Turnbull is a wanker anyway.

When Trump was chosen as president elect everyone was telling him "Those trade deals/ttp will get scrapped" mean while he sat their until the day America pulled out and went oh no I've got no plan. I would have hung up as well he's useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Turnbull has run some very good businesses over the years and can actually string a sentenve together.
    To be fair, he earned his fortune rather than being born into it. Bit of an unfair advantage in the competence department.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aussieshitposter View Post
    Well to be fair Turnbull is a wanker anyway.

When Trump was chosen as president elect everyone was telling him "Those trade deals/ttp will get scrapped" mean while he sat their until the day America pulled out and went oh no I've got no plan. I would have hung up as well he's useless.
    So you're super keen for those refugees to be settled in Australia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussieshitposter View Post
    I would have hung up as well he's useless.
    Which is why you, like Trump are not qualified to be president. Not only is it destructive, it is counterproductive for reaching your own goals anyway.

The issue isn't Trump's dislike for the policy - but rather his childish insane way of handling it.

PresidentialTrump would have quietly and calmly said - "Due to recent circumstances, we will not be able to receive the refugees for at least 120 days. After that time, we will reevaluate the agreement", then you move onto the next topic WHICH IS NOT crowd sizes. You then don't tweet about how crap an ally is.

What has he achieved, he as politely cancelled the deal, and kept the respect of the world, Australia and himself.

Now - he looks the fool, the deal is still up in the air ... so he has gone backwards.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Message seems to be clear, the US doesn't want your immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Not really, no

Some of the US alliances have remained with shifting governments on both sides for a century or more, they will endure
    Probably yes.

However, several Australian politicians have been pushing for more focus on the Pacific and China for some time, especially with an isolationist US. The TPP offers them a golden opportunity. The ground may shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So you're super keen for those refugees to be settled in Australia?
    Refugees coming by boat are not allowed into Australia as a policy to reduce the huge number deaths of asylum seekers via illegal criminals.

If the people shipping these people to Australia showed a bit of respect for their 'customers' - then they'd probably still be turning up.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.