Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but twitch reflex aiming is not the only accurate representation of skill. To think that Overwatch is somehow cheapened and/or "dumbed down" because it dares to incorporate more variables into the gameplay is both short-sighted and naive, and it only serves to point out how little you understand how to add depth of play to a game experience. This is one of the very few games where you can actually shine beyond physical, mechanical skill. The fact that it is not only accessible, but is capable of challenging even the most seasoned of FPS gamers speaks to how well the game was designed, and should be applauded, not shamed.
    Last edited by Advent; 2017-01-19 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    It's supposedly an FPS but has multiple instances where you don't aim at all, one would think that aiming is a central part of a shooter, but fair enough.
    A lot of people get alienated by this point: it's simply not a conventional FPS in that sense. It's more like a highly exaggerated TF2.

The other things you will adjust to, they're common new player issues. Torbjorn's turret will quickly become easy to deal with (picking Torb in competitive is often considered an outright troll pick), Winston is probably the tank most in need of a buff, Junkrat is frequently considered underpowered (I completely disagree but there you are), and Roadhog's hook is strong but ultimately just something you play around.

Symmetra's beam is pretty fucked to deal with now though, certainly at lower ranks. That's a recent thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Hog is a bit like like Bastion, Symmetra and Torbjorn; but not quite so bad. They're great at lower levels while people don't really have the experience to deal with them properly; but with time and experience they become much less effective. Many people regard Hog as little more than free ult charge now.
    Pretty sure Roadhog, Rein, and DVA are the 3 always in the "tank meta," at the top tier of play right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I'm sorry, but twitch reflex aiming is not the only accurate representation of skill. To think that Overwatch is somehow cheapened and/or "dumbed down" because it dares to incorporate more variables into the gameplay is both short-sighted and naive, and it only serves to point out how little you understand how to add depth of play to a game experience. This is one of the very few games where you can actually shine beyond physical, mechanical skill. The fact that it is not only accessible, but is capable of challenging even the most seasoned of FPS gamers speaks to how well the game was designed, and should be applauded, not shamed.
    Well said, and I mean if you have incredible twitch aim you can take out half the enemy team as Widow before they even get on the point. It's not surprising that the best DPS right now require decent aim. Just because some don't require it doesn't mean you aren't rewarded for actually being good at aiming.
    Last edited by Post; 2017-01-22 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Pretty sure Roadhog, Rein, and DVA are the 3 always in the "tank meta," at the top tier of play right now.
    He's probably okay in that, but I think he's also pretty interchageable with Zarya. Outside of that meta though, he is very shaky if there are longer ranged heroes around; at that point Zarya becomes miles better as an additional tank.

You have to be careful calling how strong a hero is individually in this game; sometimes they have great synergy with something, but fall pretty flat without it.

Hitscan isn't really all the interesting. It's pretty much the same throughout every FPS game. Click when your crosshair is over the bad guys to do damage.

Projectiles on the other hand actually mix things up a good bit seeing as the player has to take into consideration things like projectile speed, distance from their target, and predicted path their target is going to take. And it's different for every hero from Pharah to Junkrat even Soldier and Demoman in Tf2.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So i've finally figured out what drives me mental about OW, thing smells more cheesy than gorgonzola.

It's supposedly an FPS but has multiple instances where you don't aim at all, one would think that aiming is a central part of a shooter, but fair enough.
    And there are sooo many cheesy ways you keep dying in this game, Torbjörn's turret that requires zero input from the player, has "maphack" and "aimbot", symmetra/winston beam and of course the two spawns of satan themselves, spamrat with his skillnades and roadhog and his bullshit lolshot combo with the hook.

It feels somewhat like quake, except with "for dummies" added in the title.

Is this common critique for Overwatch or am I just an older generation gamer who want player capabilities to be in center?
    You describe dying to abilities that most seasoned OW players learn to deal with. It's no less cheesy than the energy sword in halo or a shotgun in every fps ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Good post, 10/10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    To be fair, the 3 tank meta has been less popular since the hook change and Ana nade nerf.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

It feels the same as Heroes of the Storm to me. Less emphasis on individual play and more of a deathball as 5. Games like Dota and Counterstrike are much more enjoyable than Hots/Overwatch for me to play and or watch.
    Hi Sephurik

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    im with you, most FPS rewards good aiming, OW doesnt
    I guess you've never played McCree
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I guess you've never played McCree
    Or Widowmaker or S76.

OW is an FPS. It just differs from traditional fps, just like TF2, by having abilities and some heroes not requiring a superb aim or a good aim at all to be able to play, like Mercy and Winston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    It feels the same as Heroes of the Storm to me. Less emphasis on individual play and more of a deathball as 5. Games like Dota and Counterstrike are much more enjoyable than Hots/Overwatch for me to play and or watch.
    Teamwork and fun abilities are much more interesting to watch than some guy pressing Q and blowing up four people instantly.

I'd rather watch a Zarya combo with a mei wall to drag an enemy team off the map or Reinhardt pop the enemy team into the air for a widowmaker to headshot than some fed ADC pressing one button and killing the entire enemy team in half a second. You can't learn anything from the latter than "get really fed and press Q."

In OW you can utilize things you see pro players do that aren't just raw exercises of game mechanics and employ them in unique and interesting ways.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I see where you are coming from but in HotS, opposed to Dota-lol, personal skill's effect is seriously limited. It's not the same on Overwatch. One person can do a lot.
    Still, teamwork is essential and everyone is important.

So I'd say overwatch is somewhere between hots and dota.

Overwatch is a basic game for basic gamers.
    I played it for a couple of hours and got immensely bored.

Every hero is very shallow and boring, not even 1/5th of the complexity you can have in other similar games.
    Roadhogs overpowered hook was fun for a while but after that got boring OW does not have a single hero i want to play.

Also the small number of players in a match is something i really hate.
    When i play TF2 i play it on 32 man servers and when i play BF4 i play it on 64 man servers.
    Back in the day of UT and Quake and COD4 i always played on the biggest servers that existed.

This 6v6 sh*t that overwatch does is just too small too little to entertain me, and the shallow simple heroes are the biggest disappointment of 2016.

So i've finally figured out what drives me mental about OW, thing smells more cheesy than gorgonzola.

And there are sooo many cheesy ways you keep dying in this game, Torbjörn's turret that requires zero input from the player, has "maphack" and "aimbot", symmetra/winston beam and of course the two spawns of satan themselves, spamrat with his skillnades and roadhog and his bullshit lolshot combo with the hook.

It feels somewhat like quake, except with "for dummies" added in the title.

Is this common critique for Overwatch or am I just an older generation gamer who want player capabilities to be in center?
    Watch the documentation they did. The game is inspired by quake, not by Countershit: Global Obsolete

Do you play in first person? Do you shot with guns? Well, there's FPS for you. Doesn't matter that they added other skills. It is still a First Person Shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    This! I didn't even realize that this is the cornerstone more than anything until you typed it out.

It's all about going as a big clusterfuck and shooting anything that moves, make sure a couple of ults are up at the same time and go from there.
    Going solo generally is a terrible idea in Overwatch, which I hate. I want to kill that fucker myself by out-aiming him, not just steamroll through strength in numbers.

I want to kill that fucker myself by out-aiming him, not just steamroll through strength in numbers.
    You can do this, you probably just won't kill all six of them by out aiming him (though it's possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    This! I didn't even realize that this is the cornerstone more than anything until you typed it out.

It's all about going as a big clusterfuck and shooting anything that moves, make sure a couple of ults are up at the same time and go from there.
    Going solo generally is a terrible idea in Overwatch, which I hate. I want to kill that fucker myself by out-aiming him, not just steamroll through strength in numbers.
    Buffing the defence heroes like Junk, Bastion, Torb would probably fix the deathballing. It wasn't so much a thing much earlier in the game before that became a thing, it's not so much at lower levels either where those heroes are more effective.

I never understood why people feel the need to come on forums to shit on a game other people enjoy when they could just go spend their time playing the ones they do. I didn't like blade and soul but I didn't waste my time telling everyone about it.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-02-03 at 01:02 PM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    the game started out as an MMO