Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    You do know that it is to India, Bangladesh among other that they are starting to move production too? Just like they started in china before, which makes the middleclass grow which in turn makes them want better stuff and more luxuries. You Know like cars.
    A good 30% of indian households don´t have electricity ... knowing stuff is not what CostinR is known for..
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    True. And I'm gladly paying for it. Just wanted to show that car size doesn't mean jack when it comes to actual safety. Unless you count "feeling safer" in an SUV or Pickup. But I prefer facts over feelings
    Well suvs arent safer for everyone else on the road tho

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crit...ility_vehicles
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    Please take energy needed/emission produced PER CAPITA into account. Last time I counted, the US didn't have 1B people. But they are enough to make a difference. Also, the game of "but he's the meaner kid so my misdeeds don't count" is exactly the kind of Kindergarten behaviour we don't need in politics. Plus, China is heavily investing into green tech.

Here's a link to both statistics: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC (CO2 emission)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita (energy)

- - - Updated - - -

The new beetle would save you, though
    Also, IIRC you have general speed limits in the US and not that many drivers down the road unless you are in an urban area. In Germany, we don't have any general speed limits on our crowded highways AND quite a mix of heavyweight trucks (not those for pirvate driving!) and SUVs and still people drive their tiny Porsches and Smarts and Twingos safely on the same roads.

Oops, forgot to mention that we also have significantly LESS deadly accidents per capita, per car AND per driven kilometer. Despite driving smaller cars and having a bigger population density per km². Hmmm
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate
    Its also harder for you to get a license in Germany than the USA isn't it? Maybe that's our issue. We give anyone that can breathe a license.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another brilliant move by Trump. Global warming is BS anyway.

#Makeamericagreatagain

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Ah statistics...

First of all not every year, but every year since 1978.
    Secondly, the sample size of 28 is not statistically significant to make any conclusions or call anything a pattern in this matter.
    Thirdly, I'm not saying everything is fine. Just that there's not enough data to make any conclusions.
    You know this is basically the punchline of the whole paragraph you didn't quote, right? An explanation of why we can't make definite conclusions about this but that it's should nevertheless be cause for concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

When it comes to climate - at least another 30 years.
    Fair enough. Shall we meet again in 30 years? Ah, nevermind... we'll both still be on this forum by that time. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Well suvs arent safer for everyone else on the road tho

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crit...ility_vehicles
    Car safety depends on the driver more than anything else. Those statistics are more of an indication of who's buying what type of car rather than inherent safety of the different types and models.

In other words... according to crash tests, a VW Golf is a pretty safe car. But insurance companies will charge you an arm and a leg for it. Why? Because most traffic beginners get a Golf from their parents (used) and they are the group most likely to crash. So... try to look at safety statistics with that in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its called fun and hybrids arent fun
    Btw, Le Mans is dominated by Hybrids. Has been for years. But... it's only the most vicious race for the engines and other components in motorsport. What do they know, eh?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I'd love to buy a mercedes the (SuV one), but the maintenance is stupidly expensive
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Pfft, who cares about Miami. The Netherlands live 7m below sea surface. Miami? Not a problem! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps this will get their attention:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...shelf-larsen-c

An ice shelf the size of Triniad and Tobago is about to break off. And float around Antarctica. Ships are going to love the months after it broke off. They're just going wild about the idea.

Lookout: "Um, Iceberg ahead..."
    Captain: "Where?"
    Lookout: "Well... ahead. And 10km to the left and 10km to the right."
    Captain: "Uh... well... then, hard starboard, this looks like it's going to be a 180° boys. One more day travel time, it's alright, isn't it?"

Except, those supermax container ships? They literally take a few miles to turn around. Oh the joy... :P

Why is this a big deal? Because of what happened to Larsen B in 2002:

Netherland spent 1 billion Euro per year to maintain and upgrade a flood control system that has been evolving since the 12th century. Netherland is already prepared to abandon some of the lowest lying area and move part of their dam system further upstream due to global warming.

The State of Florida has yet to admit that global warming exist. Let alone start looking for a solution.

I think the Paris agreement has and will spur so much innovation into green energy that the market will end up going green just because it's the cheapest and simplest alternative. So even if the US is not in the agreement they might just end up fulfilling the requirements. China will probably end up selling the rest of the world it's solar panels and the US will get fall behind because they did not get into solar sooner.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    You know this is basically the punchline of the whole paragraph you didn't quote, right? An explanation of why we can't make definite conclusions about this but that it's should nevertheless be cause for concern.
    That's a conclusion. If you didn't know.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Netherland spent 1 billion Euro per year to maintain and upgrade a flood control system that has been evolving since the 12th century. Netherland is already prepared to abandon some of the lowest lying area and move part of their dam system further upstream due to global warming.

The State of Florida has yet to admit that global warming exist. Let alone start looking for a solution.
    Well, you're the pros when it comes to flood control. But, if everything fails, just come to us. We have enough space in the Northwest. You can join the other Friesen we keep there.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

No it isn't. If you have behavior that isn't expected and you don't know why, of course it's reasonable to be concerned until you find out why it happened. That concern isn't a conclusion about what's going to happen or why. It's there precisely because there isn't a conclusion.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

My, my, aren't we in a nitpicky mood today. The conclusion is that we can be concerned, even if we don't have a conclusion about what's going to happen. Two different issues and their respective conclusions. Don't be an ass about it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Do Americans have penis envy in requiring giant ass ugly cars? Fuck climate I need my motorised gas guzzler for da ladies
    Yes we need them. I'd be miserable in some weak hybrid with a 110 hp gas engine. I need my 400 hp car (and I aim to upgrade to a Hellcat by 2019 which might be 800hp by then)

How you can putput around in those weak golf carts is beyond me. Jeremy Clarkson is your countryman, I'll quote him: POWER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    I think the Paris agreement has and will spur so much innovation into green energy that the market will end up going green just because it's the cheapest and simplest alternative. So even if the US is not in the agreement they might just end up fulfilling the requirements. China will probably end up selling the rest of the world it's solar panels and the US will get fall behind because they did not get into solar sooner.
    Certain states are ahead of others. Also, if you take efficiency into accounts, US manufactured solar panels are still better/cheaper than China’s. Although I understand the Chinese is catching up. For rooftop panels, there is also a matter of warranty. As a homeowner, if there is a problem, do you want to deal with a US manufacturer or a Chinese company.

For all the pro polluters, why don't you start living in filth in your own home first and see how you like that. Then maybe, just maybe you will understand why we should clean up after ourselves on a larger scale.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

My, my, aren't we in a nitpicky mood today. The conclusion is that we can be concerned, even if we don't have a conclusion about what's going to happen. Two different issues and their respective conclusions. Don't be an ass about it.
    Before anyone seizes on it and tries to claim contradiction, what you mean by conclusion and what I mean by conclusion (in my post above yours) are different. This is a conclusion about how we should react, whereas I'm talking about a conclusion regarding what will happen.

I get that you mentioned this in your post, but I'm repeating it here because some people only read the first sentences apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Leading by example, and putting our money where our mouth is.
    I'm just glad that my tax dollars won't be wasted on your misguided principles, which even you admit would accomplish nothing directly. Face it, climate change is best combated by proactively adjusting the climate, not prevent exacerbation of a non-sustainable disease. You like science, besides charging me more for oil(a VERY scientific approach that is guaranteed to have an effect on the problem....lol) what other ways can science combat global temperature rise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    For all the pro polluters, why don't you start living in filth in your own home first and see how you like that. Then maybe, just maybe you will understand why we should clean up after ourselves on a larger scale.
    You just said it. Cleaning up after ourselves is what we want, with science. What we don't want, is an unnecessary change in our quality of life that will affect nothing.

Use science to affect the climate, since pollution isn't going away no matter how much Americans pay per gallon.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't go by emotions, I have faith in science. We have solutions now, we are just afraid to use them because of unintended consequences. Once we must have a solution, we will have one. I'm more concerned about your kneejerk handwringing than I am about how we will easily cool the globe by a couple of degrees using science(which, btw, gets better everyday).

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Before anyone seizes on it and tries to claim contradiction, what you mean by conclusion and what I mean by conclusion (in my post above yours) are different. This is a conclusion about how we should react, whereas I'm talking about a conclusion regarding what will happen.

I get that you mentioned this in your post, but I'm repeating it here because some people only read the first sentences apparently.
    Thanks for clarifying it. You said exactly what I meant. But I'm sure, it's still not spelled out enough for anyone that wants to dismiss it and whinge about "conclusions".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I don't go by emotions, I have faith in science. We have solutions now, we are just afraid to use them because of unintended consequences. Once we must have a solution, we will have one. I'm more concerned about your kneejerk handwringing than I am about how we will easily cool the globe by a couple of degrees using science(which, btw, gets better everyday).
    Lol, what technology would that be? I haven't heard about us being able to terraform, yet. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, what technology would that be? I haven't heard about us being able to terraform, yet. :P
    We know how to lower the global temperature. Spray sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Doesn't even cost much, estimates are a few million a year globally. Of course, it has nasty side effects... but since it's cheap and easy, it's what I expect us to ultimately do.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-