Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Related to Accidental HardCast Pyros...Too Much Haste?

Hi guys,

I've been playing my mage since start of the expansion and I've gotten quite a few purple ranks on Heroic on Down, so I'd like to think in general I have a "decent" idea of what I'm doing. That said I've ran into a problem recently that is new.

I tend to spam press the next spell before the first one is finished, especially during Combustion. Well I ran into an issue the other night where I found myself hard-casting Pyros much too often.

I have roughly 20% haste in 890 ilvl gear and I recently got:

Whispers in the Dark w/ Nefarious Pact Buff that increases your Cast Speed by I believe 32%
    4 PC Fire Mage Set which increases your Haste 20%

I'm just wondering is the culprit when my cast speed gets so low with these buffs that I basically can't pre-cast fast enough as the spells are too fast?

I basically just tried moving side to side a lot during Combustion to help with this....I think this is going to be mainly a Fire Mage only issue since we cast Pyros at the end of Fireballs, but only want instant Pyros versus casts...but would this make sense and, or what would be your solution?
    Last edited by rap87; 2017-02-02 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    do you mean that the travel time of your pyro is shorter than your gcd ??
    hmmm.
    thinking hard

get in close range to avoid the problem.

I have had a similar problem with Frost and Flurry, I think.
    Either you need to spam less and/or stop spamming shortly before the next cast starts or you need to make a macro with /stopcasting to prevent hardcasts.
    Looking through latency settings (or whatever that menu us called) and change them a little might also help.

Not sure if it helps with your problem, but I wanted to add it in case it does.
    Last edited by WurstKaeseSzenario; 2017-02-02 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    I wouldnt have believed that it was possible to have this kind of issue actually.
    It feels quite ridiculous to loose DPS because of the travel time of the pyro.

Maybe this will need a hotfix because it is obviously not intended.

fwi as a mage try not to spam pressing any spell.
    (you are not playing fury warrior )

Well, it has only just happened and lets see it was the worse on Krossus the other day, but I was fairly close to him. Star Gazer wasn't bad at all, stacked. As I said, it just turned up...maybe it was just an off night, but I noticed how high my cast speeds had gotten and I just assumed that was the issue.

As to spamming, its just one of those habits I've picked up and I remember many years ago it was recommended to do to make sure you got in every cast possible. I've played Warlock and Death Knight at a high level before...but I think this is only a problem in terms of spam and hard cast...because any freebie abilities that those toons got didn't have the sequence the Fire Mage does and or a long/cast time associated with abilities.

But yeah I will check into travel time. With both buffs up though I was casting Fireballs at what seemed like .75 secs..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by faguoren View Post
    I wouldnt have believed that it was possible to have this kind of issue actually.
    It feels quite ridiculous to loose DPS because of the travel time of the pyro.

Maybe this will need a hotfix because it is obviously not intended.

fwi as a mage try not to spam pressing any spell.
    (you are not playing fury warrior )
    The only spells that shouldn't be spammed are FBlast and Blink w/shimmer

I have had the hard cast issue as well I spam jump to solve it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bombercloner View Post
    The only spells that shouldn't be spammed are FBlast and Blink w/shimmer

I have had the hard cast issue as well I spam jump to solve it :P
    That's what I thought too...Glad I'm not the only one. Do you think its the crazy haste procs etc causing it?

I'll try the jump spam with the moving...especially during Combustion..

Man, I had this exact thing happen to me today. On Krosus. I have just gotten the 4-piece and sitting at roughly 8k haste. I've played fire for literally years and all of a sudden I start hardcasting pyros during combust. I had to keep running back and forth to avoid it. And yes, I am a button-masher. So annoying.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find I have this problem alot when Metronome and Whispers proc together. It's incredibly annoying
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    I find I have this problem alot when Metronome and Whispers proc together. It's incredibly annoying
    Not really anoying when bracers proc
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    If only I had those bracers! . Least I didn't get completely unlucky with Helm and Belt though...

Also, guess I'm glad I'm not the only one because I was like wait this is weird...wtf!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Lmao ya sadly I don't have any good legendaries besides the ring. I've got all the shit ones though
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I have been getting the very same problem and it seems to be related to high levels of haste and the spell queuing system i.e. You can queue your next spell to be cast 400ms (Default) whilst the current one is being cast or on the GCD etc.

I managed to fix the issue by downloading an addon called "AdvancedInterfaceOptions" from Curse.
    In the options you want to enable "Custom Lag Tolerance" and set the value slightly higher than your MS. My game MS is 24 so I set it to 30MS for example.

This solved the hard casting pyro issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesi View Post
    I have been getting the very same problem and it seems to be related to high levels of haste and the spell queuing system i.e. You can queue your next spell to be cast 400ms (Default) whilst the current one is being cast or on the GCD etc.

I managed to fix the issue by downloading an addon called "AdvancedInterfaceOptions" from Curse.
    In the options you want to enable "Custom Lag Tolerance" and set the value slightly higher than your MS. My game MS is 24 so I set it to 30MS for example.

This solved the hard casting pyro issue for me.
    Going to give this a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by rap87 View Post
    Going to give this a shot!
    Going to try as well, thanks for the info! I have just been spamming jump in my combustion rotation while I have lust 4pc metronome whispers at the same time..
    Last edited by Paste; 2017-02-06 at 07:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paste View Post
    Going to try as well, thanks for the info! I have just been spamming jump in my combustion rotation while I have lust 4pc metronome whispers at the same time..
    Ok for this to solve the problem as expected.
    I don't know if it is of any interest, but you still get capped with the time travel. You cannot do more dps because you actually have to w8 a few more ms doing nothing but waiting for the new proc. (unless you sit under the hitbox of the boss).

During combustion due to the haste levels we now have you have to "dance" or you will on occasion hard cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    During combustion due to the haste levels we now have you have to "dance" or you will on occasion hard cast.
    exactly just got whispers in the dark also i had 4pcs set and now i'm dancing ..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rap87 View Post
    If only I had those bracers! . Least I didn't get completely unlucky with Helm and Belt though...

Also, guess I'm glad I'm not the only one because I was like wait this is weird...wtf!
    I'd argue that the helm is much better in NH, only on Krosus the bracer's might be a win. Obviously, bracer + head would be even better

I'm seeing this happen with the new Guldan trinket + hero. Doesn't take magical haste to make it happen. Gotta be a bug.