Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I drive the speedlimit +5kph usually when possible.

If somebody comes from behind and light-horns me because he wants to drive faster...
    well tough luck for him...

If he has no issue violating the max speed limit, he might aswell pass me on the right lane, which is a violation also.

Now don't get me wrong; i will move to the right lane if he doesn't act like an idiot and i feel safe going to the right lane, but if i'm pushing 135 and the right lane is full there's no light-horning or horning that will make me move out of the way.

You guys who say you drive slow in the left lane just to annoy other people are the reason why I wish I could get away with keeping a shotgun in the car just to shoot out your rear window, bet you would move then.

As it is, I WILL get around you, I promise you that. Driving on the shoulder, between two cars, riding your bumper, whatever it takes. Please keep trying to scare me afterward by taking a picture of my car and plates, nothings come from it yet. Left lane is for passing and fast drivers. If you want to start a problem, I won't disappoint you, and I'm willing to take it as far as you want. Don't test people unless you are willing to accept the consequences. That's free advice for anything in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    You guys who say you drive slow in the left lane just to annoy other people are the reason why I wish I could get away with keeping a shotgun in the car just to shoot out your rear window, bet you would move then.

As it is, I WILL get around you, I promise you that. Driving on the shoulder, between two cars, riding your bumper, whatever it takes. Please keep trying to scare me afterward by taking a picture of my car and plates, nothings come from it yet. Left lane is for passing and fast drivers. If you want to start a problem, I won't disappoint you, and I'm willing to take it as far as you want. Don't test people unless you are willing to accept the consequences. That's free advice for anything in life.
    Not in NJ.
    Don't test your insurance company or the state police. Free advice that won't be if you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    The highway is such a shitshow, and I hate that I have to drive it to work (35 minute drive no less). You have people who block the passing lane, people who use the slow lane exclusively congesting it and making it a pain in the ass to merge into, people who don't signal, people who don't properly space and ride your ass, people who try their damndest to not let you pass them (as if I'm trying to pass you to spite you...), people who don't merge into the slow lane until the last second even though I purposely slowed down to let them in...

Just, ugh. I hate city life.

Deleted
    Im assuming the op is american. The few times ive driven in the us ive found driving standards to generally be pretty exceptional.

Go for a drive in paris or anywhere in italy and you'll soon appreciate american drivers ������

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I drive the speedlimit +5kph usually when possible.

If somebody comes from behind and light-horns me because he wants to drive faster...
    well tough luck for him...

If he has no issue violating the max speed limit, he might aswell pass me on the right lane, which is a violation also.

Now don't get me wrong; i will move to the right lane if he doesn't act like an idiot and i feel safe going to the right lane, but if i'm pushing 135 and the right lane is full there's no light-horning or horning that will make me move out of the way.
    Passing on right isn't a violation in most provinces (i assume you're Canadian because of the numbers you use) if there are 2 lanes travelling the same direction. fyi

as as for your entitled attitude toward the subject... if there is no one in front of you and someone behind you, you're in the wrong lane, period. there is no need to be dickish, it's not your job to control the speed of the highway,
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2017-02-02 at 04:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    So you think it's ok to put around in the passing lane? When some asshole does that I eventually cut them off and slam on my brakes. Have consideration for other people. If there's someone behind you, get out of the left lane. I really wish American police would ticket those who drive in the left lane.
    Oh, you're that asshole who thinks it's smart to slam on their brakes on the highway, possibly causing a catastrophic accident, all because someone is not going as fast as you would like them to. Totally fucking smart. Irresponsible, hot head fucks like you have a license, but yeah, it's the slow people who are the problem.

Because people dont understand how multi-lane highways are sposed to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    Passing on right isn't a violation in most provinces (i assume you're Canadian because of the numbers you use) if there are 2 lanes travelling the same direction. fyi
    Wrong side of the atlantic ocean. I'm European.
    And it's not legal to pass people on the right lane in most countries overhere.

as as for your entitled attitude toward the subject... if there is no one in front of you and someone behind you, you're in the wrong lane, period. there is no need to be dickish, it's not your job to control the speed of the highway,
    So you completely missed the point?
    I'm driving the speed limit, passing people. I drive the speed limit (5 above it; which is "tolerable").
    I still drive faster than the right lane, which is usually full. I still pass people.
    It is within nobody's right to dictate me to move to the right lane and basically slow down from the allowed speed limit; just because they want to drive faster than it is allowed.

Now, i see they could say the same thing...
    but the difference here is:
    - What i want to do is drive the allowed speed limit
    - What they want to do is break the same law

I am not dictating how fast they should drive; the law already is, which is why i drive that speed.

Also: Autobahn... ohh how i miss thee (ever since i don't live in Germany anymore)..

"Slow" is far too subjective to allow for a dialogue free of people shouting past each other, but I'll weigh in.

When in the left lane, I try to go at or 5mph above the speed limit. To me, this is not slow. The desire of others to speed (more than I already am) is of no concern.

Should mention that there is no "keep right" law or "flow of traffic" law where I live. I am in that lane because I choose to be.
    Last edited by Zeth Hawkins; 2017-02-03 at 08:18 AM.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

So glad they made this illegal in my state.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Sometimes I get bored driving. It's funny watching people lose their minds in the rear view mirror. When they finally get the chance to go around me they flip me off so I wave at them.
    Even better, give them a thumbs up with a goofy smile! People love that.

Deleted
    Because they're dicks? That can't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    This seems to happen a lot on Fridays ... for some reason a bunch of people like to turn into road justice warriors and drive 100 km/hr on the highway while wedging themselves in between 2 cars in the other lanes which ends up cucking the entire left lane and slowing everyone down. Why do people do this? what is the rationale?
    It's the same reason assholes block isles in the store. Because they're so stupid they don't understand what is going on around them. They're oblivious to the fact that others exist and they're blocking isle and driving slowly. Really, really low IQs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

cos they're cunts. Even worse on a dual carriageway where a lorry overtakes another lorry and passes it about the same speed as I could army crawl past it.

Deleted
    And that's why self-driving cars are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    cos they're cunts. Even worse on a dual carriageway where a lorry overtakes another lorry and passes it about the same speed as I could army crawl past it.
    God this is the worst.

OT: In my state, it's pretty much the norm to drive five over when traffic allows; going exactly the speed limit in a travel lane feels weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I won't have an accident. If they fly off the road, I guarantee they won't stay in the left lane next time they drive. In fact I guarantee that's a memory they keep and are mindful of it in the future. If you believe you can drive slow in the left lane, then I can brake when I want in the left lane. You slow me down, I slow you down. Fair is fair.
    Road rage is far more dangerous than speeding or driving slow. People like you are the reason we have strict rules regarding traffic in Germany. To the point where flashing your headlights to the dude in front of you will earn you criminal charges. See, you have zero authority to "teach others a lesson" on the road. The only responsibility you have is to get from A to B without endangering other people. Nobody gives you the right to educate others on their driving. That's the job of the police.

And if you act out of the norm, for instance by hard braking on the left lane without a proper reason to do so, you're responsible for whatever happens afterwards. If they fly into the ditch because of you, they get to hold you liable for any damages. And trust me, no judge in the world will be on your side on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    Just a bit of background information... in Germany, we have the same problem. I often wondered why they would be doing this. A 95 kph lorry overtaking a 90 kph lorry. Seems a bit pointless. But then I talked to someone and as it turns out, those lorries have log writers behind their wheel. Essentially, it's a paper disc that records how fast you drive, how long you drive and so on. Add to that the knowledge that lorries are the most supervised vehicles on the road under any circumstance and that overtaking in Germany specifically is required "to be done at a significant higher speed" and the fact that 5 kph more on average means a lot of time saved on a 1000 km journey, you understand why they're doing this now.

It's kind of like what the sport cyclists call a belgian row. It means you get to "overtake" and increase your speed by exceeding the vehicles speed limit without actually breaking any laws.

I hope this makes some sense, it's a bit silly if you ask me, but if you consider that they are probably the most professional participants on highway traffic, perhaps cut them some slack. Unlike you, who's just on the highway for an hour or two on average, those guys pretty much live on the road and lug cargo around for 8+ hours a day. And for all the pain they inflict on you by overtaking, they are the kindest and most responsible drivers on the highway as well. Whenever I am on the Autobahn and want to chill after a stint of 200+ kph for an hour, I just pull behind a lorry and I know I'm safe. They're my restful pitstop, because they know when shit's going down ahead of me minutes before I even get an idea that something's wrong. They sit much higher, can see much further and they drive a constant speed like a train. I like lorries, they are the only ones, I swear, the only ones that thank you when you make space for them (like blinking warning lights once).
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Road rage is far more dangerous than speeding or driving slow. People like you are the reason we have strict rules regarding traffic in Germany. To the point where flashing your headlights to the dude in front of you will earn you criminal charges. See, you have zero authority to "teach others a lesson" on the road. The only responsibility you have is to get from A to B without endangering other people. Nobody gives you the right to educate others on their driving. That's the job of the police.

And if you act out of the norm, for instance by hard braking on the left lane without a proper reason to do so, you're responsible for whatever happens afterwards. If they fly into the ditch because of you, they get to hold you liable for any damages. And trust me, no judge in the world will be on your side on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a bit of background information... in Germany, we have the same problem. I often wondered why they would be doing this. A 95 kph lorry overtaking a 90 kph lorry. Seems a bit pointless. But then I talked to someone and as it turns out, those lorries have log writers behind their wheel. Essentially, it's a paper disc that records how fast you drive, how long you drive and so on. Add to that the knowledge that lorries are the most supervised vehicles on the road under any circumstance and that overtaking in Germany specifically is required "to be done at a significant higher speed" and the fact that 5 kph more on average means a lot of time saved on a 1000 km journey, you understand why they're doing this now.

It's kind of like what the sport cyclists call a belgian row. It means you get to "overtake" and increase your speed by exceeding the vehicles speed limit without actually breaking any laws.

I hope this makes some sense, it's a bit silly if you ask me, but if you consider that they are probably the most professional participants on highway traffic, perhaps cut them some slack. Unlike you, who's just on the highway for an hour or two on average, those guys pretty much live on the road and lug cargo around for 8+ hours a day. And for all the pain they inflict on you by overtaking, they are the kindest and most responsible drivers on the highway as well. Whenever I am on the Autobahn and want to chill after a stint of 200+ kph for an hour, I just pull behind a lorry and I know I'm safe. They're my restful pitstop, because they know when shit's going down ahead of me minutes before I even get an idea that something's wrong. They sit much higher, can see much further and they drive a constant speed like a train. I like lorries, they are the only ones, I swear, the only ones that thank you when you make space for them (like blinking warning lights once).
    I completely understand why they do it, the haulage business is hyper competitive and I imagine the drivers are under pressure to eek out every last bit of mileage within the regulations that they can. Its just as much a complaint of the government for not building adequately sized roads to keep up with the increases in traffic.

Its also my fault as generally when I use the motorways/dual carriageways I am going to meetings and am usually late!

We've actually had this topic many times before.

If you want the best answer, its because people are oblivious. They aren't spending time looking in their rearview mirrors, They really aren't even looking at their speed, and when they see people passing on the right it doesn't seem like an imminent danger to them.

They exist, but I don't think you often get the speed limit warriors who go 2 MPH over the limit in the left lane and passive aggressively take pleasure in watching people pass them on the right slowly.