Trump, save us from this!
    president Le Pen u mean

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    France needs tougher machete control.
    *Assault Machete*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    You mean he didn't just shoot him in the leg or something?

It's because that rifle looks like it has weird sights on it.
    They shoot in the legs because that's what they are told to do if possible. I mean, grab them alive and make them speak, rather than killing them on the spot. At least you can try to avoid all the speculation about the "who, why and how".....

in America, the left would just call the attacker a peaceful protester who was exercising his rights

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-02-03 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    We are at war though.

Muslim lives are as valuable as Christian lives.
    So I see you defend the attack on this soldier as a simple act of war by the culprit. When in war, soldiers get attacked, I agree with you there. That view would make this attacker simply a soldier of the opposing side and carrying out what happens in war. However, then you surely would have to support that this attacker is not entitled to the protections of the laws of that country within which the act was committed. In war, a different set of conventions are followed. There is no need to justify killing the opposing sides soldier when in the action of war where the opposition is not surrendering. Maybe it's time any country "at war" with radical islam, simply go through and bomb/shoot anyone voicing that they are "soldiers for allah", since this is a war on a radical sect of a religion. Clearly when in war, declaring yourself a soldier for the opposing side makes you a combatant in that war, not a civilian with a religious belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    German news reports the suitcases were empty, no explosives. It seems at this point that the dude really only had a knife-like weapon and attacked a soldier, which was the reason why he was shot. I don't think this was a proper terrorist attack. Just a madman.
    My guess is that he found out that in France, unlike some unnamed country, one can't walk into one of two dozen gunshops per street, and buy whatever he'd want. So he decided to try get the gun from the soldier to shoot people with instead, but luckily failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    We are at war though.

Muslim lives are as valuable as Christian lives.
    I'd say Buddhist lives are as valuable as Christian.

Problematic groups though, a LOT less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    My guess is that he found out that in France, unlike some unnamed country, one can't walk into one of two dozen gunshops per street, and buy whatever he'd want. So he decided to try get the gun from the soldier to shoot people with instead, but luckily failed.
    True, he found out that he was no match for a guy with a gun. Apparently guns work against attackers, so... safety first people, get yourself some self-defense tools like a nice hand gun.

PS - I googled on googlemap gun shops, I couldn't find any street with two dozen gunshops. The one gunshop I found said I couldn't just buy whatever I wanted without going through governmental background checks. Stronger background checks than liberals say are good enough to allow people from terrorist infested countries to enter.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2017-02-03 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    in America, the left would just call the attacker a peaceful protester who was exercising his rights
    In America, the president would just call the attacker a Muslim when he kills 6 people and shut up about it when it's not true.

He can't even say the words. RADICAL RIGHT WING TERRORISM!

7+ Year Old Account
    I think there is nothing left to discuss, Trump made sure to ass-tweet about this event. Probably for the first time in 5 years I applauded Hollande, telling this caricature to shut the fuck up already.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    True, he found out that he was no match for a guy with a gun. Apparently guns work against attackers, so... safety first people, get yourself some self-defense tools like a nice hand gun.

PS - I googled on googlemap gun shops, I couldn't find any street with two dozen gunshops. The one gunshop I found said I couldn't just buy whatever I wanted without going through governmental background checks. Stronger background checks than liberals say are good enough to allow people from terrorist infested countries to enter.
    Oh my. So someone has to hit your name on a computer, and push an approve button unless your crime conviction list is a mile long? What an inconvenience, terrible one. I'm sure such a greatly vetted procedure stops terrorists from buying legal guns, like the gayclub shooter. Oh wait..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I dunno, don't you have la police nationale for that? Soldiers are a bit too much, especially considering that they are not trained to do the job.
    Because we have an etat d'urgence in place, voted by the parliament if I recall correctly. We have a few groups of 3 or 4 patrolling around, usually at the train station or the main tourist spot. Can't comment on their lack of training, I am sure other people know better.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    2 Days ago a african man run amok with a knife in germany and attacked a police officer, the officer shot him into his leg and hours later 20-30 immigrants/refugees from africa gather at the crime scene to protest against the racist police and compared the german police with the american...
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2017-02-03 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    2 Days ago a afrikan man run amok with a knife in germany and attacked a police officer, the officer shot him into his leg and hours later 20-30 immigrants/refugees from afrika gather at the crime scene to protest against the racist police and compared the german police with the american...
    lol the African police would have killed him probably some good old torture to, they have no idea how good they have it here compared to home, isn't that a reason why they leave africa anyways.

You're kind of missing the point @Linadra was making. Guns didn't resolve this situation. Trained professionals with guns resolved this situation. Isn't that your own gun-loving argument? :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    In America, the president would just call the attacker a Muslim when he kills 6 people and shut up about it when it's not true.

He can't even say the words. RADICAL RIGHT WING TERRORISM!
    When Radical Right Wing Terrorists begin flying jetliners into skyscrapers and committing genocide of entire countries, I'm sure you'll hear the phrase start to come around.

Look, everyone understands that as of right now, you're far more likely on American soil to be killed by something other than a radical islamic terrorist. What you see in the dialog of the US in regard to islamic extremism is not about individual attacks on our soil. Each story may be, but it's about a larger picture of the threat on our way of life that radical islam represents, in the name of the entire religion. The difference from these other right-wing organizations is that we have groups of islamic terrorists in the world large enough to be at war with nations armies. That they are following through with the actions of engaging a war. What we see is the response to small single attacks, as being part of a larger plan, more to come. We talk about it because we know each little pin prick is really just the beginning of a large wave of attacks promised by a group of people who have backed up their words before in other countries. What we see is a coming war to our soil. These other right-wing groups don't have that capacity or the will, at least they haven't shown it in modern times. What's different about radical islam is the will of those involved to follow through with their threats. Their true fearlessness of death in the name of that cause.

This is why we watch carefully everything that may be radical islamic terrorism, vs other forms.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2017-02-03 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I have an unrelated but somewhat important question

Why is Louvre protected by SOLDIERS? What's up in France?
    There were already armed soldiers patrolling the streets back in 2011-2012 when I went to Paris. I can't imagine recent events have caused them to be more lax when it comes to security.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You're kind of missing the point @Linadra was making. Guns didn't resolve this situation. Trained professionals with guns resolved this situation. Isn't that your own gun-loving argument? :P
    No, Linandra made no reference to the trained professional with a gun, at all. He/she was simply trying to argue against guns.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2017-02-03 at 04:38 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    so let me get this straight

A man attacked a soldier, trained killer armed with assault rifle, on patrol with ......a knife! (or machete according some report)

That dude was tired of living or what?

When Radical Right Wing Terrorists begin flying jetliners into skyscrapers and committing genocide of entire countries, I'm sure you'll hear the phrase start to come around.

Look, everyone understands that as of right now, you're far more likely on American soil to be killed by something other than a radical islamic terrorist. What you see in the dialog of the US in regard to islamic extremism is not about individual attacks on our soil. Each story may be, but it's about a larger picture of the threat on our way of life that radical islam represents, in the name of the entire religion. The difference from these other right-wing organizations is that we have groups of islamic terrorists in the world large enough to be at war with nations armies. That they are following through with the actions of engaging a war. What we see is the response to small single attacks, as being part of a larger plan, more to come. We talk about it because we know each little pin prick is really just the beginning of a large wave of attacks promised by a group of people who have backed up their words before in other countries. What we see is a coming war to our soil. These other right-wing groups don't have that capacity or the will, at least they haven't shown it in modern times. What's different about radical islam is the will of those involved to follow through with their threats. Their true fearlessness of death in the name of that cause.

This is why we watch carefully everything that may be radical islamic terrorism, vs other forms.
    Can you perhaps list the issues that Islamists are left leaning on? I personally can't think of a single one. That makes them right wing terrorists, since they are on the far right on every single issue. So you have right wing terrorists driving over people, setting car bombs, flying into buildings, blowing up airports and mass shooting people.

Or perhaps you believe "Muslim" automatically disqualifies someone from being right wing? Keep dreaming.