Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Is this the most opportune time with things getting so intense with China?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    And the Ukraine.

And Australia.

And NATO/EU/UN.

And Mexico.

God fucking dammit we used to have allies. Two weeks in, ladies and gentlemen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    It's not, yet at the same time the US cannot let Iran continue to gain influence in the Middle East as this backs Saudi Arabia and their arab allies in a corner where they feel the need to support extremist groups just to keep Iran in check.

Australia and Mexico are fake news stories. As widely confirmed by both the Australian and Mexican governments. NATO will be fine, especially as Western Europe has finally gotten their heads out of their asses to actually spend what they need to on defense...well at least some of them.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Iran recently tested a IBM. The Nuclear Resolution not forbid Iran from using or testing them. However the US still views this as a violation.
    The US can't go around making their own rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And the Ukraine.

And Australia.

And NATO/EU/UN.

And Mexico.

I wouldn't describe the Australian thing as intense. That could be burning bridges but it's not hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    You genuinely do not have the slightest fucking clue about that, yet you state it as fact. What. In the everliving. Fuck.

Who the fuck are you Skroe, to know such things? All I know so far is that you spend your time reading up on military hardware so you can respond to relevant threads on the Internet. I know the type, even if I don't know you well enough to understand just how well you fit it.

What more am I missing here? How do you know the things you claim to know in this context? How can you state the above as fact? Because comparing Iran to Libya does not exactly fill me with confidence as to your ability to read the situation. Are you just some bloke who likes discussing war and war machines on internet forums, and reading up on the new guns being produced in France? Or are you someone whose opinions I should genuinely put any stock in?
    Relax dude. You'll get used to him typing bs like that all the time. He is just skroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Not at all. It's the end result of countless threads, just like this one, about Iraq or Syria, or Russia or Libya or somewhere else, since the Iraq War was launched in 2003. Actually before that. The Kosovo War in 1999. It was the same stupid then.

People have some ridiculous ideas about what military capabilities are, or what strategic interests various countries have. With respect to the former, do you know how many times I've read that MiG-29s are among the most fearsome fighters in the world? Better than an F-15! So of course any country that has a lot of MiG-29s has a fearsome Air Force, which implies a certain increased risk for the US. In reality, the MiG-29 is a piece of junk whose only accomplishment is to have gotten shot down in near record numbers over the years. But the technical interest is driven by things like that.

We see an extension of this, for example, in the China-US war thread from a few days back, which I barely participated in. Some folks transpose Russia's military capability onto China, even though they're entirely different. They're as different as like, the United States and France are different. However if you have such a conversation proceeding from the assumption that China = A Russia Clone, then the chance of success for a wider policy or military plan is quite difference versus one that evaluates China as it actually is. The difference in that capability allows the US to do things versus China which it COULDN't DO with Russia, and vice versa. That grounds the conversation.

That is the ONLY reason to discuss this stuff. There is nothing to be gained by dick waving an F-22 over an Su-35, even for somebody who loves Aerospace stuff like myself.
    MiG-29s were superior fighters...at things that fighters basically never do anymore, and really haven't done since the Korean War and some of Vietnam. For some reason, Russia has an incredible fetish for aircraft with incredible maneuvering capability at expense of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    You genuinely do not have the slightest fucking clue about that, yet you state it as fact. What. In the everliving. Fuck.

Who the fuck are you Skroe, to know such things? All I know so far is that you spend your time reading up on military hardware so you can respond to relevant threads on the Internet. I know the type, even if I don't know you well enough to understand just how well you fit it.

What more am I missing here? How do you know the things you claim to know in this context? How can you state the above as fact? Because comparing Iran to Libya does not exactly fill me with confidence as to your ability to read the situation. Are you just some bloke who likes discussing war and war machines on internet forums, and reading up on the new guns being produced in France? Or are you someone whose opinions I should genuinely put any stock in?
    He's going off of Russia's current status as a country; their economy, their military, their interests. He's going off of history (as he stated in the Iraq War).

You're the one making these assumptions off of nothing. You're the one saying these things, he's countered them with his thoughts and backed them up with numbers and detail, but you've done none of that. I don't think Skroe is stating these things as fact, but rather his observations based on what he's read.

I'm not saying Skroe is right, I honestly don't know that much about this stuff. BUT the things he say make sense and seem well thought out. At least he provides some sort of backing for the things he says. All you have is bluster and bombast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    Does it matter if he is poor or rich? why does it matter.
    We atleast know he owns some big buildings in the world so he is richer then most of us that is sure.
    He licences his name to those buildings, he doesn't own them.

As for being rich, im sure he has some of cash daddy gave him left.

Deleted
    Why is there any 'legal work' required? Can't Trump sit on his camel and yell 'no prisoners!'?

Good luck with that. I dont think anyone (especially US) can afford a war against Iran right now.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Still waiting on an explanation as to how Putin's lapdog would be allowed to attack Putin's ally.

Surely the two are mutual exclusive?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Still waiting on an explanation as to how Putin's lapdog would be allowed to attack Putin's ally.

Surely the two are mutual exclusive?
    Iran and Russia are allies of convenience in Syria, but only that. They aren't friends.

Also Putin's lapdog? Clearly someone missed the news coming out on Ukraine and Trump.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Iran and Russia are allies of convenience in Syria, but only that. They aren't friends.
    Russia is building their nuclear facility:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ir...-idUSKCN11G0EB

Also Putin's lapdog? Clearly someone missed the news coming out on Ukraine and Trump.
    What news? That the evil UN shook their finger at Russia, while Trump him self said nothing about it? What's next, Trump taking credit for the intelligence report on Russian interference?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politics/haley-russia-un/

Do you need links on Trump saying UN is useless or can you agree on that?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Russia is building their nuclear facility:
    Having business interests in a country does not make one a friend, especially not a friend that would step up to help them in the case of a war. It's the same nonsense people spouted on Libya.

What news? That the evil UN shook their finger at Russia, while Trump him self said nothing about it? What's next, Trump taking credit for the intelligence report on Russian interference?
    He said plenty. Haley is his mouthpiece at the UN. Also far more important.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...nctions-234631

During an unusual private meeting on the sidelines of Thursday’s National Prayer Breakfast, President Donald Trump promised a Ukrainian opposition leader that the United States won’t lift sanctions on Russia until it pulls out of Ukraine, according to three people briefed on the meeting.
    Tymoshenko is playing her cards well I see. One should never forget Poroshenko is deeply loathed in Ukraine and was one of the people supporting Yanukovich until the Maidan.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-02-04 at 05:56 AM.

How about not doing that for once.. Do we really need another country with a strong ISIS presence because of political vacuum?

>Trump assigns big oil to Secretary of State.

>Suddenly that Iran peace deal doesn't matter, let's make war.

I wish it wasn't predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    The Iranian Mulla regime would have collapsed by itself had Obama not sent them $150 Billion. Honestly that nuclear deal was an act of treason from Obama and his staff.
    This is strongly worded enough to enrage the Obama fans but, it's pretty much agreed by all that Iran was ready to crack under the prior sanctions. I think less of both Obama and John Kerry, for being this bad at negotiations. If your adversary is about to crack, you demand the world. These guys basically gave Iran everything they wanted, and we got nothing but inspections administered by Iran. So, they will inspect themselves. Seems legit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    This is strongly worded enough to enrage the Obama fans but, it's pretty much agreed by all that Iran was ready to crack under the prior sanctions. I think less of both Obama and John Kerry, for being this bad at negotiations. If your adversary is about to crack, you demand the world. These guys basically gave Iran everything they wanted, and we got nothing but inspections administered by Iran. So, they will inspect themselves. Seems legit.
    No they werent. The sanctions had little to no effect because US and Iran had very few dealings outside of yelling at each other.
    They had no real effect until the the EU, Russia and China decided to join in temporarly to get Iran to agree to the Nuclear Deal.

So far the only Country that is upset about the deal are the Americans and that has more to do with the Iranians making the Americans look foolish infront of the world, with the Republicans screaming about violating the deal asoon as they hold power and that embarrasing letter that the Republicans send to the Iranians, that they then showed the world.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/article...otiations.html

Everyone is happy with the deal except the Americans. But then again Iran has been in Americas crosshairs since the revolution.

Deleted
    Here comes the Trump plundering!

It's absolutely amazing how much the guy resembles Hitler in his strategy.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2017-02-04 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    You do realize that Iran "cracking" as you put it, would be primarily America's mess to handle, right? It would drop yet anothe crisis on our plate.

You also realize that American interests in Europe and Asia-Pacific dwarf those in the Middle East, right?

The fetishizing of military conflict in the Middle East by Americans is pathological. It's been nearly three decades of nothing but an inconclusive, expensive outcomes that have been exceptional resource drains on our strategic priorities in Europe and Asia-Pacific. Fate of the liberal international order will never be threatened from the Middle East. From Russia and China? Yeah, it could be.

It's even more insane for anybody who wants a strong, effective US military (like me). The costs of the Iraq War put a big red X through a generation of much needed military modernization that was supposed to stretch from around 2004-2012 under the old plan. Now we're doing one that stretches from around 2014-2025.

And folks want to do it again?

One of the biggest reasons the Gulf War Armed forces thrived where the Vietnam armed forces failed was because the United States spent nearly a decade and a half rebuilding its military power without using it. We can build, or we can expend. This, today is a time to build. We have been expending it without stop at an unsustanaible rate since 2001. And people want to expend more?

It's just insanity to me. The plans Former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and his team put in place, that Mattis and Congress are continuing, is nearly perfect and came after his predecessors Gates and Panetta cleaned house at the Pentagon. It just needs to be paid for and stuck to. Maybe even accelerated and enlarged.

But noooooooo some Americans who want to prtend Iran is 10 feet tall, just like we did Iraq, want to go the Persian Gulf and kick some ass.