Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    "Any culture that is not mine is invalid".
    What a bigot.
    Banning bullfighting (or rodeos) was never about disagreeing with others' culture.
    It's about protecting animals.

Anything that puts clowns in danger I'm 150% FOR! FUCK CLOWNS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Banning bullfighting (or rodeos) was never about disagreeing with others' culture.
    Just because it was not your intention to trample (pun intended) the culture of others, does not mean that isn't what you are doing, in effect. Putting YOUR feelings about animals above the feelings others have about their culture is pretty dickish, imho. Humans > Animals

Just because it was not your intention to trample (pun intended) the culture of others, does not mean that isn't what you are doing, in effect. Putting YOUR feelings about animals above the feelings others have about their culture is pretty dickish, imho. Humans > Animals
    Bullfighting is more of a tradition thing they try clinging on to, I would love to bring back gladiatorial combat we can use criminals pitting them against bears, tigers,lions and wolves with nothing more then a net to defend themselves with.

Criminals like animal abusers of course, not shoplifters, i would like to see them get a taste of their own medicine
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-04 at 07:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Animals are food. An argument based on "animal feels" is more of an indicator of lunacy than it is an actual argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Bullfighting is more of a tradition thing they try clinging on to, I would love to bring back gladiatorial combat we can use criminals pitting them against bears, tigers,lions and wolves with nothing more then a net to defend themselves with.

Animals>humans.
    So, you are the worst person ever, and I should never speak with you again. Got it.

So, you are the worst person ever, and I should never speak with you again. Got it.
    Good luck.

I always love how easily triggered people are when you say animals before humans.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-04 at 07:18 PM.

Get rid of the silly blue collar redneck rodeo, and bring on the bullfighting of Spain.

Cultures evolve.

In some cultures they used to regard homosexuality as such a sin that they'd kill over it. A few still do.

Would it be dickish of me not to respect a culture like that?

Putting an animal through a lot of unnecessary suffering is a lot more dickish than offending someone's sensibilities via words. In that context humans > animals should not apply. Next you'll be telling us that someone who calls an animal abuser a "cruel asshole" is being dickish, yeah, let's forget about the behaviour of the abuser however.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2017-02-04 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha this is a silly thread. SJWs at work again. Of course it shouldn't be banned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except animal rights are wholly about culture, and nothing else. For example, while you can technically consume your personal dog in most states (US), you are not allowed to sell the meat. That is a cultural decision, not based on principle.

Likewise, anything related to bullfighting would end up being based on culture and not principle.

If things were principled you wouldn't end up with a wide-range, arbitrary list of animals we're allowed to buy/sell/eat because of "taboo."

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Cultures evolve.

In some cultures they used to regard homosexuality as such a sin that they'd kill over it. A few still do.

Would it be dickish of me not to respect a culture like that?

Putting an animal through a lot of unnecessary suffering is a lot more dickish than offending someone's sensibilities via words. In that context humans > animals should not apply. Next you'll be telling us that someone who calls an animal abuser a "cruel asshole" is being dickish, yeah, let's forget about the behaviour of the abuser however.
    Yes, cultures "evolve" (that really just means change and since we assume we are great, any change is "good").

What you are suggesting, is that you, a person not participating in said culture, has the moral right to judge it and describe it's downfall as "evolution". Do you not see how pretentious that is? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Except animal rights are wholly about culture, and nothing else. For example, while you can technically consume your personal dog in most states (US), you are not allowed to sell the meat. That is a cultural decision, not based on principle.

Likewise, anything related to bullfighting would end up being based on culture and not principle.

If things were principled you wouldn't end up with a wide-range, arbitrary list of animals we're allowed to buy/sell/eat.
    Parts of Spain have already banned bullfighting; it's only a matter of time until this barbaric tradition dies out. It's called being civilised, we don't live in the Middle Ages any more. Some cultural practices are best left there.

Bull fighting is pretty barbaric but isn't a thing in the US. Rodeo isn't as bad as the bulls are just provoked a bit, I think they put a strap across their marbles or something like that. One can make the argument it's no different than a circus or a zoo. Since the circus and zoo are both currently under fire yea I can see that.
    The thing is, where does it end? Horse back riding? Domesticated pets? It's a slippery slope of becoming so restrictive we can't engage animal contact in any way.

Deleted
    Buddy, I have bullfightings in my country. Your rodeos are mild in animal abuse compared to what we do here. (I'm not bragging). Even so, I am against it.
    I heard all the excuses from the pro-bullfighting guys. Give up, because you won't say nothing I haven't heard before.
    It's not culture, it's you that lack education.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Parts of Spain have already banned bullfighting; it's only a matter of time until this barbaric tradition dies out. It's called being civilised, we don't live in the Middle Ages any more. Some cultural practices are best left there.
    That's fine, I don't really care either way. I'm just saying animal laws like these *are* culturally based. Unless someone can show me a country where the animal laws make sense as "we're protecting the animals."

Yes, cultures "evolve" (that really just means change and since we assume we are great, any change is "good").

What you are suggesting, is that you, a person not participating in said culture, has the moral right to judge it and describe it's downfall as "evolution". Do you not see how pretentious that is? Really?
    Of course I do. I am only human.

I am also someone who is reasonably educated and not indoctrinated from childhood. It's not pretentious at all, it is a matter of course. Barbaric practices that get banned is a sign of social and moral evolution, just like in the western world with slavery. Just like with legalising homosexuality. Eventually bullfighting will the consigned in the trash, generations after us will shake our heads and wonder why we were so cruel, just like we shake our heads at all the medieval tortures we see in books.

Perhaps you'd like to argue why improving animal welfare and reducing their suffering is not a good thing?

Buddy, I have bullfightings in my country. Your rodeos are mild in animal abuse compared to what we do here. (I'm not bragging). Even so, I am against it.
    I heard all the excuses from the pro-bullfighting guys. Give up, because you won't say nothing I haven't heard before.
    It's not culture, it's you that lack education.
    I'm not your buddy, guy.

So, the education system is Portugal is so poor, that those who were taught by it think that any disagreement of opinion, is a knowledge level short coming? Do you even know how dumb you sound right now?

Also, anyone who thinks there is only bull riding at a rodeo, needs to get outside more often, or pick up a book and read it. I fail to see the cruelty of riding horses through pylons, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Probably no, America is a little backwards regarding animal rights
    Never miss a chance to bash the US do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    That's fine, I don't really care either way. I'm just saying animal laws like these *are* culturally based. Unless someone can show me a country where the animal laws make sense as "we're protecting the animals."
    What, like most first world countries where the distinction is actually made against unnecessary and/or excessive cruelty? Or the laws that require proper care and humane handling and euthanising of lab animals? Even pest control operators are trained how to kill trapped vertebrate animals humanely as required by regulation.

How is any of that not there with the intent of protecting the welfare of animals?