Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Nope what have left EU for America long before war breaks out. There is no reason for war, really outside barbaric military-code "if you will win you fight" which some countries seem to follow still... We have to get over this whole "huge war" thing.
    when Iran, or Russia, or any of the other countries in the world that seem to think they should have what is yours come rolling into your country to take what you have they won't care that you capitulate or try to run. running just makes you an easier target.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Most people always say no, they could never do it, but when it comes down to survival, they would.
    in a war scenarios id prefer death.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Look what they accomplished as a generation, see why they are considered great. They didn't cry and moan and make excuses, they accomplished things.

Jimmy Thick-No participation trophies, hugs or tears over hurt feelings.
    After the Great Depression they still did what was felt to be their duty.
    That's a problem today though, concepts such as duty and honor...among others, are nearly lost in this generation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    when Iran, or Russia, or any of the other countries in the world that seem to think they should have what is yours come rolling into your country to take what you have they won't care that you capitulate or try to run. running just makes you an easier target.
    What is this? Some Sci Fi story where all politics have failed, all treaties broken before you even get in that world? Not even Hitler could do that. So pardon - your scenario has nothing rational in it, it's pure fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    After the Great Depression they still did what was felt to be their duty.
    That's a problem today though, concepts such as duty and honor...among others, are nearly lost in this generation.
    I totally agree.

Jimmy Thick-Colin Kapernick would have gotten his legs broken back in the day.

I think this is one of those questions most people can only answer when they're actually confronted with such a situation. My gut tells me I could do it but who knows ... I've never been in a warzone so ...

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this? Some Sci Fi story where all politics have failed, all treaties broken before you even get in that world? Not even Hitler could do that. So pardon - your scenario has nothing rational in it, it's pure fantasy.
    No, there was a movie with this premise, it's called Red Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah but this is quite an interesting question, would you do it on someone else's orders.

There is that famous event during christmas in the trenches where the germans and brits had a football match and much else. They were adversaries yet not really enemies. Difficult.
    without a doubt i would do it on someone else's orders.
    I can't wait to watch your ego bleed
    Your pain will set me free

Stitched Up Heart

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

You have to imagine the same question being asked to your enemies. What if they answered yes? That would mean you must otherwise you would be the dead person.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah but this is quite an interesting question, would you do it on someone else's orders.

There is that famous event during christmas in the trenches where the germans and brits had a football match and much else. They were adversaries yet not really enemies. Difficult.
    That wasn't during WWII...that was WWI. (There were a few "truces" during that war on that date; Dec 25 1914. That particular one was probably the more memorable.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That wasn't during WWII...that was WWI. (There were a few "truces" during that war on that date; Dec 25 1914. That particular one was probably the more memorable.)
    Sadly, as Orwell predicted governments are much more efficient at demonizing the enemy nowadays.

In theory, I have no issue shooting an enemy combatant that will likely kill me.

In practice, there's just too many circumstances that may make me not shoot. Saving Private Ryan did an amazing job presenting this aspect of war.

Knowing my own failings, I'd be more likely to die by misjudging the threat from someone than I would be to shoot someone without necessity.

Deleted
    If my country ever went to war for whatever reason and started drafting everyone, I would refuse service. Rather go to prison than die, as an untrained conscripted foot soldier your chances of survival are next to zero.
    That said, if I ever got into a situation where it's me or them I wouldn't hesitate to kill.

Yep it isn't really as bad as they make it out to be. At least when they are trying to kill you to.

Deleted
    If you ever decide to join the military you better be. If you join the army, one of the first things you will memorize is the soldiers creed, and you will repeat it every morning before starting the day. (talking about BCT by the way... )

I am an American Soldier.
    I am a warrior and a member of a team.
    I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
    I will always place the mission first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.
    I will never leave a fallen comrade.
    I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
    I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
    I am an expert and I am a professional.
    I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
    I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
    I am an American Soldier.

As a soldier you should be ready to kill the enemy. You promise it, you sing cadences about it, and you are constantly training for it. People may not want to see it that way, but our purpose is to kill the enemy. Not only that, but if you hesitate to do your duty you put your fellow soldiers lives on the line. End of story.

We don't get into massive firefights as often anymore, so engaging the enemy is rare. So yeah, a lot less soldiers use their rifle. With that being said, everyone in the army volunteered. We all went to the recruitment office, went to MEPS, took the tests, then signed the oath. That process takes weeks to months. We all knew what we were signing up for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A PTSD diagnosis will get you a fat disability check from the military for the rest of your life. Not sure how many just wanted the disability but I'm sure it's a measurable percentage. Any time there is money involved, people will take advantage.

If you have PTSD I don't mind you getting the benefit.
    ... It's not a common thing for people to fake PTSD. That's ridiculous. In fact, most people with PTSD do not go to get help. If someone wants to fake something/medboarded they'll say they have knee or back issues. Faking PTSD to get out with a big check is really not worth the time or effort, honestly.
    Last edited by mmocdf810d1583; 2017-02-05 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted
    Bottom line, a lot of people will say they could, and some may even genuinely believe in their heart of hearts that they could.

In reality, a very small percentage of people are actually up for the moment and could willingly do such a thing.

Most would crumble in that situation.

- EDIT. On the internet, the percentage who talk a big game and believe they could kill will increase significantly. I guarantee that most people in this thread who said they could, actually could not. Not even close, although they believe the opposite.

- EDIT 2. Noticed a few also claiming to have already done it. If anyone here that has been TRUE military and served in real crisis zones, they will also know why it's total BS. Easy to identify pretenders with the way they try to act like "killin aint nuttin"
    Last edited by mmoc71c5112e9f; 2017-02-05 at 10:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's a little harder.
    Well, if you wash it first it wont make you cry, but yeah - I suppose you're right.
    Hi

Deleted
    I don't think I can give a clear-cut answer to the question.
    Like, in the vast, vast majority of situations, my answer would absolutely have to be No - I could and would not. I really can't see myself aiming a weapon at another person, not to mention shooting at them with the intention to kill them.
    That said: Our survival instinct can be a strong factor, and if it's a "shoot or be shot" situation, who knows. :/
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-02-05 at 10:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have any issue killing someone else if it was my own life that was at stake.

Self-preservation beats feelings.

what rock you been living under.
    my current deployment status has me going to an undisclosed country that Russia shouldn't be in but has.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    what rock you been living under.
    my current deployment status has me going to an undisclosed country that Russia shouldn't be in but has.
    I think most people would be surprised by just how many military actions there are on a daily basis that never make the news.

And not just because they're "classified", but mostly because they aren't sexy enough for the news. Usually meaning Mideast, or direct action from a superpower.