Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Has Legion hit the 'lull period' already?

Holidays are well over, however activity has not picked up. In fact, it feels like activity has slipped even further. Players logging in less often and for shorter periods. All of this despite the recent release of a patch and a major raid.

Do you feel that Legion has hit the lull period already? And at only 5 months from launch. With no content in sight and still months away from another patch, this could be problematic for this expansion and its success. It feels like we're getting less content slower, and players have picked up on it and are not sticking around. We need another injection of content and fast before numbers are cirtically low. We can't afford another 3+ month PTR for 7.2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Holidays are well over, however activity has not picked up. In fact, it feels like activity has slipped even further. Players logging in less often and for shorter periods.
    Have you got statistics to back up this? I'm playing on a high pop server and it's crowded as hell. I do not agree with you at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    Have you got statistics to back up this?
    Of course they don't.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

go clear mythic nighthold and stop your shitposting.

or collect all legion mounts or pets, or max prestige, or get 2.4k arena rating, go do anything i bet if you link your character it's done fuck all.

7+ Year Old Account
    You have to be meme'ing lol

Holidays are well over, however activity has not picked up. In fact, it feels like activity has slipped even further. Players logging in less often and for shorter periods.
    According to who?
    Our guild is growing and busy, with two full 20 person raid teams, a popular alt run on weekends, and M+ going 7 days a week.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Yes, we are in that period where the content has more or less ended in terms of being interesting (Legion is different from, say, WoD in that there are more things you can still get rewards from even though you don't really enjoy them, but that changes relatively little) and players are living on scraps of new things from patch to patch.

Legion is WoD 2.0. A bit of a different flavor, but still WoD. As in, a pretty lame addon which desperately tries to make people stay, but since it lacks interesting things, it is going to lose a couple million subs once again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    Of course they don't.
    Player activity graphs. Soon to have raid participation charts from MMO-C, then PVP ladder size from final cutoffs for season 2. The peak is over, more than half are already gone. There is a brief return of life due to Nighthold, it will end in a month.

For the majority of players, that play a single player until content runs out (without repeat raids or repeat dungeons) - yes, the standard time that has occurred for every expansion has elapsed.

That's been 4-6 months or so.

That doesn't mean the game itself is dead - just means a portion of the player base will come back for 7.2. Same story different year.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

it feels like
    (( and how does how it feels make you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    For the majority of players, that play a single player until content runs out (without repeat raids or repeat dungeons) - yes, the standard time that has occurred for every expansion has elapsed.

That's been 4-6 months or so.

That doesn't mean the game itself is dead - just means a portion of the player base will come back for 7.2. Same story different year.
    There is a difference in that prior to WoD the activity held more or less stable up until the last patch after which Blizzard had nothing (no content for about a year - they did that at least three times, every time promising that they won't do this again) and it is only after that last patch that we had the activity / subs going significantly down. In WoD and in Legion everything falls right after launch. That's a qualitative difference. People are running out of things to do way faster than before and they aren't willing to stay and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    There is a difference in that prior to WoD the activity held more or less stable
    Not correct. There has been two superimposed effects on the game over the time since launch.

1. The normal release, growth, shrink cycle of any product, with the peak of this cycle being around LK. Note that this graph is representative of concept, in fact most peaks occur VERY early in the product cycle and life lasts long after the peak.

2. Overlaid on that overall pattern, for every expansion has been large peaks at or around each expansion with similar numbers leaving within months after. Smaller peaks revisiting at major patches. For Legion, that means another peak for 7.2.

This flow is entirely normal behaviour, and no more means wow is dying than it means Charlize Theron is dying, in that technically she and all of us are - and short of any unforeseen accents on The Grand Tour she has many years to go.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have no clue how you measure activity but from what I see when doing WQs, looking for dungeon groups, waiting outside raids for raid time to start; there are a hell lot more people around than what's been the case in the latest expansions. I'm constantly running into people either passing by or doing the same things I am. The game sure FEELS a lot more alive now than it did before, no idea if that's at all relevant to statistics.

I'm trippin, but it almost feels like @styil and @rda are the same person, or just feed off each others' energy.

OT: From my perspective, no. For me there's been a continuing feeling of 'something to do' and 'something to look forward to.'

Holidays are well over, however activity has not picked up. In fact, it feels like activity has slipped even further. Players logging in less often and for shorter periods. All of this despite the recent release of a patch and a major raid.

Do you feel that Legion has hit the lull period already? And at only 5 months from launch. With no content in sight and still months away from another patch, this could be problematic for this expansion and its success. It feels like we're getting less content slower, and players have picked up on it and are not sticking around. We need another injection of content and fast before numbers are cirtically low. We can't afford another 3+ month PTR for 7.2.
    Another sky is falling thread?

It's still winter. People may be in classes/lives. The average player could always do more content, they choose not to. Not everyone has 54 traits. Cleared mythic etc. Because that's not their objective.

Overall numbers should have little to no impact on your life nor what you do in game. If they're so low you literally cannot raid or do w/e PvP then people should flood with these threads.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not correct. There has been two superimposed effects on the game over the time since launch.

1. The normal release, growth, shrink cycle of any product, with the peak of this cycle being around LK. Note that this graph is representative of concept, in fact most peaks occur VERY early in the product cycle and life lasts long after the peak.

2. Overlaid on that overall pattern, for every expansion has been large peaks at or around each expansion with similar numbers leaving within months after. Smaller peaks revisiting at major patches. For Legion, that means another peak for 7.2.

This flow is entirely normal behaviour, and no more means wow is dying than it means Charlize Theron is dying, in that technically she and all of us are - and short of any unforeseen accents on The Grand Tour she has many years to go.
    Now go look at Diablo 2, which received basically zilch for support since 2001 and flourished for years and years.

- - - Updated - - -

Legion is built around Mythic + and once people either hit 54 or burn out from doing Mythic + trying to reach 54, there really isn't enough INTERESTING content to keep people engaged. I'm uncertain if adding more traits in 7.2 will fix this. People may simply be burnt out on Mythic +.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Now go look at Diablo 2, which received basically zilch for support since 2001 and flourished for years and years.

- - - Updated - - -

Legion is built around Mythic + and once people either hit 54 or burn out from doing Mythic + trying to reach 54, there really isn't enough INTERESTING content to keep people engaged. I'm uncertain if adding more traits in 7.2 will fix this. People may simply be burnt out on Mythic +.
    Now if you think people playing D2 today is even close to peak then I'm sorry you're crazy. It had s launch, Peak and dropoff it's just very few things drop off at 0

I have done every dungeon 10-25 times(Kara only once), i farmed the crap out of the EN and ToV, done every quest, exalted every rep, maxed my main spec weapon. Now there's nothing to do for the next 4-6 months but Nighthold, which isn't even a fun raid to begin with. Over the last 2 weeks i've been logging in strictly for raiding, and that won't change anytime soon.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you the new Jaylock?

And no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like the population on Area 52-Us has declined quite a lot.

And you are of course basing this off the fact that your LFR que took a minute longer than usual.