Poll: Do you like the Mage Class Mount (Pancake Disk)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I dont really mind it, i like it.
    It is an obvious rip off from the Warhammer Magi of Tzeentch disc , but so are so many other things in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    But when compared to all other classes' mounts, do these people really think that this is the most mage'ey mount imagible while at the same time holding up to the effort that went into all the other clases' mounts?
    Yes, actually. And it has been the SOLE defining mount for mages since the Burning Crusade, making its first (to my recollection anyway) appearance in the Eye of Eternity. In fact the only other "mount" we've seen for mages have been 1.) polymorphing into a raven and 2.) teleporting.

Also have you actually seen most of the other class mounts? With very few exceptions they're all boring as fuck. I feel particularly bad for Warriors, Death Knights, Paladins, and Warlocks, the latter two of whom are basically just getting a slightly different variant of their already existing ones (albeit with Warlocks getting it in green, which some seem to prefer over red/orange). Monks are just getting a flying version of the dreadful ones released in MoP. Druids are getting a heinous version of their much cooler flight form. Hunters are only getting something kinda-okay if you're not in the Horde and never did WoD for the wolf mounts.

Shaman, Rogues, and Priests are the only ones really getting something interesting, even if I don't personally like the way the Priest one looks. Shaman in particular are going to be causing me to seriously consider playing one next expansion just for that fiery version. And even though a raven is awesome, the Rogue mount is still really just a variant of the Raven Lord which everyone could have or more likely already does have.

As long as the Mage mount doesn't have some obnoxious cloud of farts under it, it'll be a pretty awesome mount and might supplant the flying carpet I use on my current Mage. It looks like it's going to have some annoying streaming going on behind it, though, which means it most likely won't be replacing it, but that's just me disliking that sort of thing in general (which is the only reason I never use the phoenix mount from the Eye).
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    You have absolutely 0 knowledge or understanding of 3D design. The disc shape may be simple and primitive, but anyone with some keen eyesight will see that it has far more complex geometry. Just because something looks simple doesn't mean that it is simple or take little to no effort to make. Textures, spell effects and animations, especially those made from scratch, take quite a lot of work. In the end it doesn't even matter if a lot of effort went into it or not, what matters is if it fulfills it purpose and meets certain (design) standards, which it does. If you don't like it, that's your taste.
    Yeah, let's compare animation of the Shaman elemental and a disc. Disc would have no animations at all, just visual effects. Whereas elemental would have a skeleton and a lot of animations. Also it's much easier to make some shiny bulbs on the sides of the disc then to make adequate texture and effect for a body made out of wind.

So even if same processes are used in those cases. they completely different amounts of work

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    So even if same processes are used in those cases. they completely different amounts of work
    Compared to shammy one every other class mount is boring, crappy piece of shit, so your point is moot. You may as well say that all the Blizzard's creativeness started and ended on shammy mount.

Still, I'd better play a shadow priest with great dps and shitty class mount than play a vice versa shammy
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

I like it, but I have been using the loremaster one on and off since mists. So glad it's not another "Runic Horse" that just has wings/flies through the air for no reason while running.

Deleted
    i pressed button "yes".
    I first thougt that this mount was a bit disapointing.
    On second thougt, it is quite unique. There is no mount looking like that.
    I ended up liking it.

It is going to be something that other class could be jalous for...

voted yes, it's 10 times better than the warrior one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathson View Post
    Manawyrm :-)
    I never knew I wanted a mana-wyrm until I read this and now it's the mount I most want!

I get why they went with the discs and yes the animations etc are pretty good. It just seems bland. If it moved around like the video shared on the first page then that'd be sweet!

Think it's just you look at some classes and they have some rather unique ones. Raven, owl, elemental. Then others are responsible, warrior, dk, pally,lock, monk.
    Then there's us, kind of nearly unique and kind of a reason of the lorewalkers mount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    Yes, actually. And it has been the SOLE defining mount for mages since the Burning Crusade
    That doesn't make sense. Eye of Eternity came in WotlK and there were no flying discs in BC.

In fact the only other "mount" we've seen for mages have been 1.) polymorphing into a raven and 2.) teleporting.
    So a good and creative mount = A mount we have seen before? So the shaman's mount is shit because we haven't seen Shaman riding tornadoes before? So a manhole cover is the most mage'ey thing you can imagine?

Also have you actually seen most of the other class mounts?
    Yes, I've seen that official trailer where every classes mount was shown for some 10 seconds, showing off their awesome models and animations ... and the mage mount which was shown for literally 2 seconds because even Blizzard realized it's absolutely unspectacular since it has no interesting visuals or animations at all. You don't like them? Cool for you. That's your very personal taste tho. Now you will feel drawn to replying with "but disliking the mage mount is just your personal opinion aswell!" but unlike you I have actual tangible reasons for my dislike (static object with no animations) instead of just saying "it's boring". Which is hilarious anyways since somehow you think a lot of the mounts are boring but the objectively most unspectacular one is not one of them to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    You have absolutely 0 knowledge or understanding of 3D design. The disc shape may be simple and primitive, but anyone with some keen eyesight will see that it has far more complex geometry. Just because something looks simple doesn't mean that it is simple or take little to no effort to make. Textures, spell effects and animations, especially those made from scratch, take quite a lot of work. In the end it doesn't even matter if a lot of effort went into it or not, what matters is if it fulfills it purpose and meets certain (design) standards, which it does. If you don't like it, that's your taste.
    If you need to be a 3D designer to appreciate a mount, I think Blizzard fucked up.

Deleted
    trolling has no limit with throwaway

Quote Originally Posted by SherriMayim View Post
    Does anyone actually like this thing?
    Just like Flame On, I believe we'll enjoy it once we have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Frost couldve been something like not a mount, but you make icepath under you and thats how you "fly". make it quickly disappear and others cant use it(so basically just give the character flying, add a passive animation and a graphic of icepath).

Fire shouldve been something phoenix related - even just a brand new amazing model would be nice.

Arcane - conjure up a mana wyrm, or an arcane elemental, maybe something like the kirin tor flying dailies.

Deleted
    just keep complaining, we all know mages are Blizzard love child.. so complain enough and you will get a new mount

this is not trolling, you did the same with one the talent specs / spells and got it fixed
    Last edited by mmoc987860f932; 2017-02-06 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    really looking forward to "/mountspecial" this thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Eye of Eternity came in WotlK and there were no flying discs in BC.
    Yes, I made a minor mistake an got two old expansions confused. YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ARGUED YOUR POINT! Congratulations on your brilliant debating skills! <massive eyeroll>

So a good and creative mount = A mount we have seen before? So the shaman's mount is shit because we haven't seen Shaman riding tornadoes before? So a manhole cover is the most mage'ey thing you can imagine?
    Nice try again, Einstein. We were talking about definining class mounts. A flying disc and the ability to polymorph into a raven are THE defining flying mounts for mages in WoW. Period. End of discussion.

Yes, I've seen that official trailer where every classes mount was shown for some 10 seconds, showing off their awesome models and animations ... and the mage mount which was shown for literally 2 seconds because even Blizzard realized it's absolutely unspectacular since it has no interesting visuals or animations at all. You don't like them? Cool for you. That's your very personal taste tho. Now you will feel drawn to replying with "but disliking the mage mount is just your personal opinion aswell!" but unlike you I have actual tangible reasons for my dislike (static object with no animations) instead of just saying "it's boring". Which is hilarious anyways since somehow you think a lot of the mounts are boring but the objectively most unspectacular one is not one of them to you.
    Blah blah blah, blah blah, cry whine moan, blah blah blah!

I'll quote myself again, despite you being way too obtuse of a human being (and I'm using that term loosely) to comprehend anything other than your own sad, misguided opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch
    Also have you actually seen most of the other class mounts? With very few exceptions they're all boring as fuck. I feel particularly bad for Warriors, Death Knights, Paladins, and Warlocks, the latter two of whom are basically just getting a slightly different variant of their already existing ones (albeit with Warlocks getting it in green, which some seem to prefer over red/orange). Monks are just getting a flying version of the dreadful ones released in MoP. Druids are getting a heinous version of their much cooler flight form. Hunters are only getting something kinda-okay if you're not in the Horde and never did WoD for the wolf mounts.
    Pretty much just ONE class is getting a really cool, unique mount. Everyone else is getting something that -- at best -- boring as fuck, or a variation of existing mounts. A few -- and Mages are not amongst them -- are getting truly hideous ones.

But you don't like flying discs personally, so "QQ wurst mount evar y blizrd h8 us sew much?!!!?!?!?!!?!1111" <eyes fall out of their sockets after rolling so hard>
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    It feels like mage mount was last mount blizz worked for. "oh shit we forgot mage mount! well fuck it, reskin that shitty mop flying disc before you head out."
    Not the only instance of blizzard forgetting about mages this expansion. Kinda main theme of Legion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deith View Post
    Not the only instance of blizzard forgetting about mages this expansion. Kinda main theme of Legion
    Yeah I hear you there. I was really excited about Legion, still playing it just hoping that it'll get a bit better but it's been a massive bummer this entire xpac.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's passable, but I pressed no because I don't really like it. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it either. I got to see how it feels to like a class mount when I logged my shammy and saw it

it's probably the worst class mount, and I'm not even a Mage (just a mage alt). I'd rather take Paladin's boring horse than a stupid flying disc.

I don't understand why people cry about these mounts. They are a mount that's easy to obtain, even if it was the best looking mount in the game there will still be 15k+ other Mages with the exact same mount, it's not like you can show it off or anything so who cares quite honestly.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -