If you want to do any form of PvP on a Hunter..

Is it basically go Survival or reroll?

I can't seem to make BM work at all in PvP, as soon as some mongo melee notices me, I just get tunneled down and can't do a damn thing about it, they have more gap closers than i have ways to keep them off me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    Is it basically go Survival or reroll?

I can't seem to make BM work at all in PvP, as soon as some mongo melee notices me, I just get tunneled down and can't do a damn thing about it, they have more gap closers than i have ways to keep them off me.
    1. Disengage
    2. Binding Shot / Intimidation
    3. Frost Trap
    4. Tar Trap
    5. Turtle
    6. Feign Death
    7. Aggressive use of Exhiliration and Spirit Mend

If you are getting tunneled then you are not playing correctly. The best ability in addition to above CC's for a BM is mobility. You don't have to stand still for focus spenders. The melee should be under 50% even before it reaches you. Warriors sure charge, jump etc around but no reason for others to be in melee range of you. Use spiders that can additionally web the person or use cunning pets to reduce your dmg taken.

I ofc switch to MM for BG's since its fun to Arcane Shot and Marked Shot for quick kills.

I don't really agree with that, it's all well and good listing the abilities we have, on paper it sounds "yeah no melee should get near you!"

But in reality, every melee apart from DK's has more ways to close the gap and keep us locked down than we have ways to keep them off us, even survival hunters, a predominantly melee spec have better ways to keep a target locked in place than their ranged counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    I don't really agree with that, it's all well and good listing the abilities we have, on paper it sounds "yeah no melee should get near you!"

But in reality, every melee apart from DK's has more ways to close the gap and keep us locked down than we have ways to keep them off us, even survival hunters, a predominantly melee spec have better ways to keep a target locked in place than their ranged counterparts.
    This. Pruning pretty much left melee's lock down bag of tricks alone, while taking away from our kiting/survival. Losing Master's Call, one charge of Deterrence (Aspect of the Turtle), glyphed Explosive Trap, Spirit Bond etc. was just too much. As it stands right now, melee will have at least one more ability to stay on you then you will have to escape/survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maxrange laming with a cunning pet ( aspect of the beast ) is the only thing that works halfway decent given a 1v1 situation with a melee exept rogues. In half of all 1v1 fights i have as BM the enemy melee turns around after 2 or 3 atempts to get me and searches for a easyer target.

Your not wrong. Hunters are in a weird place right now for PvP. My survival hunter has been straight up deleted by at least one MM and one BM hunter, but I suspect that was a result of differences in iLVL than straight up working well. Every time I switch over to try an enjoy BM or MM for pvp I uh, just don't. Theyre pretty much only fun when everyones ignoring you while you unload damage onto people. The best parallel I can draw is elemental shaman. They have, and will likely to continue to be, horrendous pvpers. Nearly no options to get attackers to leave them alone. Terrifying as a Turret. Worthless when trained.

Deleted
    Well so far i dint meet much problems when fight against melees
    They can kill me or seriosly injure but yet i have won alot of 1v1 like fights in the BGs and not need to say about casters
    BM have prety good defensive traits and ist mobile just like melees only problem is to get someone to 30% after that he is most likely dead meat thanks to the swift talent who allow me to KC him to the death

Hunter got somewhat better now that they have traps back. BUT they are in a very weird spot

BM at least causes a lot of damage passively and has full mobility. I don't play it much (least liked spec for me), thought, so I'll focus on the other two specs.

MM in particular is a spec that has no advantages against any other spec. It can be beaten by casters, melee, healers and even other hunters. MM's only role is support: you do damage as long as no enemy pays attention to you. It lacks healing, survivability, utility and mobility, so it's pretty much fucked if you are targeted by anything. In a game where "balance" is defined as "you can beat class 1, but can't beat class 2", MM holds the honor of being able to beat no one.

Even Survival has poor defenses and no on-demand burts. If any melee uses its CDs (defensive or offensive) against you, you'll be beaten most of the time because your only defensive CD doesn't allow you to fight back, and you don't have any healing outside of another 2-minute CD. Your big burst needs a big setup to be done, and a simple CC during it will ruin everything. And you have no stuns, which could help with both issues.

Hunters in general feel like "support DPS", as in: we are pretty bad by ourselves and just contribute to make other DPS classes more effective.

10+ Year Old Account
    MM in particular is a spec that has no advantages against any other spec
    Wrong and right at the same time, depends of the kind of pvp / bracket you play. MM is a Beast in rated BG`s with instant, non dispellable aoe damage on mass. A good MM Hunter tops every meter in rated bg`s without especially playing to top meters, other classes have to dedicate them for that and have to sacrifice on single target or utility for the number 1 place on the scoreboard.

We all know that rated bg`s are most of the time aoe zergfests ( hello three owl setups ) and this is were MM shines. Target one of the enemy healers or a other more immobile range class, position yourself with said enemy as fixpoint and keep the rest of the enemy team between you two, then start to unload. Use cd`s for aoe, not single target burst and keep the pressure up.

It is fairly easy to support your own healers with traps, binding, bursting, scatter without sacrificing on aoe or single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehija View Post
    Wrong and right at the same time, depends of the kind of pvp / bracket you play. MM is a Beast in rated BG`s with instant, non dispellable aoe damage on mass. A good MM Hunter tops every meter in rated bg`s without especially playing to top meters, other classes have to dedicate them for that and have to sacrifice on single target or utility for the number 1 place on the scoreboard.
    I'm not saying MM doesn't have its uses. I did point out that Hunters are pretty much "support DPS", as in: alone they can't do much, but they compliment other specs well. However, once a melee focus you, or you are in a situation such as defending a node, you are pretty much screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehija View Post
    We all know that rated bg`s are most of the time aoe zergfests ( hello three owl setups ) and this is were MM shines. Target one of the enemy healers or a other more immobile range class, position yourself with said enemy as fixpoint and keep the rest of the enemy team between you two, then start to unload. Use cd`s for aoe, not single target burst and keep the pressure up.
    Sounds like you're playing with Sidewinders? Before 7.1.5 (pre sidewinders nerf) I could guarantee being #1 dmg in battlegrounds due to being able to aoe down the whole team with sidewinders/marked shot.

After 7.1.5 its much more difficult to top the dmg meter with just single target (using piercing or trickshot). I'm curious if hunters are still using SW in pvp or if its as dead as it is in pve.

10+ Year Old Account
    you are in a situation such as defending a node, you are pretty much screwed
    In a rated BG this situation should NEVER happen, period. If your teamcomp is setup in a way that you have to defend a spot ( Arathi or Eye ) then specc accordingly with a cunning Pet out for pet insignia or go straight BM. As point defence your job IS NOT ( good if you can, but not your job ) to kill an enemy inc., its to prevent a tap until help arrives and Marks has plenty of tools to buy time.

Even if you are the Duel King and you are wrecking every single one in front of Orgrimmar / Stormwind, there is always someone who is better then you, just has a better day or runs combat routines. Call out early for help and buy time, thats the way to defend a node.

I'm curious if hunters are still using SW in pvp or if its as dead as it is in pve.
    Depends. In rated BG you go sidewinders and be surprised that it is most of the time your Number 1 damage ability. Arenas are a different Story and since you dont want to break your own or teammates cc`s i think Sidewinders are not an option there but in this case you should ask someone who plays arenas and doesnt avoid them like the plague

After 7.1.5 its much more difficult to top the dmg meter with just single target
    Single target is not your job, in a rated battleground its aoe. Keep your Windburst for announced targetswaps, thats enough.

From my experience, its Survival > BM > MM for pvp.

Yet only Survival feels like your actually contributing anything.