Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Was I in the wrong here?

My wife's family came to our house for a family reunion over the weekend. Most of them are fine, but there is one family I do not like. They have that "we're too good for you" kind of air about them.

Anyway, at one point, their son had a dish of chocolates in his hands... the kind that costs about $20 a pound ( you will see why I mention this ). There was probably 1/2 a pound on the plate. I told him to take a piece and put the rest back. The kid is about 5 or 6 years old... He proceeded to lick each piece. I took the plate from him and took it to his parents and told them what he had done.... The mom's response was ( laughing ) "That sounds like Charlie." So, I asked her to keep an eye on him, and she just kind of rolled her eyes.

About 2 hours later I seem him with a dish with about 20 pieces of chocolate on it and he walks right past me..... I grab the dish and put it on the top shelf of my built in bookcase. and I tell him that he is not having any more chocolate. Well, he then runs to the bookcase and starts climbing up it to get to the chocolate. I put my arm around his waist and pull him off the bookcase.

As I put him on the floor I start laying into him about this is my house and my rules, and we don't do that here, yada yada yada.... and I tell him that if he can't behave he can't stay at my house. Then his mom came in yelling at me for grabbing her son. I tried explaining what her son had done, but she didn't want to hear it; she only wanted to yell at me for touching her son. The mom, is my wife's nephew's wife. She got all pissy and went and grabbed their coats and they left.

And oh, he somehow kicked the dish of chocolate after I took him down, and my dogs ate some.... chocolate can be lethal to dogs.

That kind of put a damper on the party and some others left not long after.

Anyway, I think I was in the right.... my wife is kind of on the fence, but some of the people who saw what happened told me I did the right thing - maybe not because of the chocolate, but because he the kid could have fallen off the bookcase and got hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid sounds like a brat sure but unless his mom saw everything that went down it's understandable she'd get upset when someone grabs their child. There's really no winning in a situation like that. Just tell em to fuck off and control their kid or they're not welcome anymore.

You're in the right.
    Children can be little shits but, it comes down to parenting at that age. If they can not understand what no means and then behavior in that manner they need consequences. Your sister in law has serious parenting issues for letting this kind of behavior persist past the age of 3.

The child could have hurt himself climbing up that book shelf, sounds like the kid is a brat, and the mother isn't a real mother. What you need to do is piss off off the mother so much that she refuses to come over anymore.

Your house, your rules. The kid was a little shit that needed some education from his folks.

Fuck them assholes, never invite them over again. Any vet bills due to choco go to them as well.

Also, shit on their lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

put it on the top shelf of my built in bookcase

their son had a dish of chocolates in his hands... the kind that costs about $20 a pound

Yes, yes, I see.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Shit parenting by the sound of it. Lack of discipline explains why the child is such a little shit.

100% you are in the right. I would have fed him all the chocolates like Bruce Bogtrotter from Matilda until he threw up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take their drinks from their hand, take a sip, and hand it back.

I'd side with you here. I dislike parents who have that "haha, sounds like douchey child being a douche! He's so funny!' attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    My wife's family came to our house for a family reunion over the weekend. Most of them are fine, but there is one family I do not like. They have that "we're too good for you" kind of air about them.

Anyway, at one point, their son had a dish of chocolates in his hands... the kind that costs about $20 a pound ( you will see why I mention this ). There was probably 1/2 a pound on the plate. I told him to take a piece and put the rest back. The kid is about 5 or 6 years old... He proceeded to lick each piece. I took the plate from him and took it to his parents and told them what he had done.... The mom's response was ( laughing ) "That sounds like Charlie." So, I asked her to keep an eye on him, and she just kind of rolled her eyes.

About 2 hours later I seem him with a dish with about 20 pieces of chocolate on it and he walks right past me..... I grab the dish and put it on the top shelf of my built in bookcase. and I tell him that he is not having any more chocolate. Well, he then runs to the bookcase and starts climbing up it to get to the chocolate. I put my arm around his waist and pull him off the bookcase.

As I put him on the floor I start laying into him about this is my house and my rules, and we don't do that here, yada yada yada.... and I tell him that if he can't behave he can't stay at my house. Then his mom came in yelling at me for grabbing her son. I tried explaining what her son had done, but she didn't want to hear it; she only wanted to yell at me for touching her son. The mom, is my wife's nephew's wife. She got all pissy and went and grabbed their coats and they left.

And oh, he somehow kicked the dish of chocolate after I took him down, and my dogs ate some.... chocolate can be lethal to dogs.

That kind of put a damper on the party and some others left not long after.

Anyway, I think I was in the right.... my wife is kind of on the fence, but some of the people who saw what happened told me I did the right thing - maybe not because of the chocolate, but because he the kid could have fallen off the bookcase and got hurt.
    Sounds like a real lack of parenting on the part of the mom.

P.S., let's get something clear about dogs and chocolate. Yes, chocolate can be lethal to dogs; however, it greatly depends on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate. Large dogs can eat a fair amount of it before having problems, which are usually diarrhea and gas. Small dogs can have major issues with even a single piece. Also, the darker the chocolate the worse.

Way back in my day, family had the right to beat the children of other family members. I know that's considered inhumane and barbaric these days, but it did seem to work pretty good.

Sounds like Charlie is one of those kids that the parents let have free reign when at home. I myself don't see an issue with what you did. I've had to ream out my sons at various social events when they got besides themselves, the wife is a little more hardcore than me. If after a few warnings they didn't calm down, she would just pack up and head home.

I've come across parents like this all the time, their kids are running wild and they just laugh it off, as Billy is just being Billy. I understand that some kids are just full of energy, to where other kids are more passive. But you can't have little Billy running wild in other people's houses, that's just disrespectful to the owner

I would tell them not to return anymore after that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The child could have hurt himself climbing up that book shelf, sounds like the kid is a brat, and the mother isn't a real mother. What you need to do is piss off off the mother so much that she refuses to come over anymore.
    This. I absolutely hate those parents and in 20 years they will be ranting about the dipshit generation they raised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Fuck them assholes, never invite them over again. Any vet bills due to choco go to them as well.

Also, shit on their lawn.
    im with you on that one.

If they can't control their child to the point it acts like a chimpanzee in other people's houses they should leave the brat at home or fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'd side with you here. I dislike parents who have that "haha, sounds like douchey child being a douche! He's so funny!' attitude.
    Yeah, such people should be exiled to Sahara. If they like to enable their kids being twerps so much they can do it away from the rest of society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    a dish of chocolates in his hands... the kind that costs about $20 a pound ( you will see why I mention this ).
    Sounds like a weird kid. Expensive Chocolate is usually not tasty for Kids.
    But I dont want to judge, well, not too much.

Anyway: Your House, your Rules. If you are a guest somewhere you are expected to behave. Thats something at least I learned pretty early from my Parents.

While you probably shouldn't have put your hands on the kid his parents should've put a stop to his shit long before that even happened. Maybe in the future just put the chocolate away where the guests can't get it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Shit parent gets upset when someone actually parents their child. You were fine.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Take their drinks from their hand, take a sip, and hand it back.
    This...so much this!