Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BG's feel less bad... am I going crazy? (Mage)

I distinctly being horrified with pvp as a mage after starting legion. Did no damage, took tons, melee could sneeze on me and I'd die. But for some reason, it seems less bad now. I do not really feel more powerful, I don't wear resilience gear at all, just my standard pve gear, but I feel like I have a chance to kill some people some time now. Not if there is a healer of course, if a druid is near they can collapse onto their keyboard hitting a health dot button and make any target immortal. I still can't truly deal with melee, but maybe it's my mix of arcane into bgs that makes things a bit easier? The casting of arcane missiles while moving with the talent is a nice touch and feels better.

Again, I feel like I might be going crazy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voisier View Post
    I don't even.

Wut?
    Main mage has all 3 specs over 35 AP level, still agree with this guy.

Arcane is crap in pvp, in fact, it's a crap spec that is boring as hell. It's as slow as frost, but you get none of the defensive capabilities. The mana consumption penalty is asinine and the damage you do without 4 stacks is crap - just like the spec.

Frost is too slow. Too much reliance on casting to build up icicles, and the damage revolves around icy veins so off CD you're damage is mediocre...even damage on CD isn't too impressive compared to the other specs.

Fire is the best pvp spec by far right now and that's not saying much. Greater Pyroblast is sure to piss off the melee derpers who are used to killing mages in a couple GCDs. They still do, but if you are able to set up a cast or two of GPB you have a shot.

Don't really agree with your assessment. Mage pvp is still brutally unforgiving...where any melee class/spec can faceroll mages, mages have to outplay even the scrubbiest back-pedaling keyboard-turning melee.

Fire with GPB is what mages should be - nuke damage dealers. Mage damage should be orders of magnitude more than melee, and mages should be relatively squishy...but the problem is that GPB is the last honor talent you unlock when it's the kind of damage mages should be capable of dealing BASELINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Expert View Post
    Arcane is crap in pvp, in fact, it's a crap spec that is boring as hell. It's as slow as frost, but you get none of the defensive capabilities. The mana consumption penalty is asinine and the damage you do without 4 stacks is crap - just like the spec.

Frost is too slow. Too much reliance on casting to build up icicles, and the damage revolves around icy veins so off CD you're damage is mediocre...even damage on CD isn't too impressive compared to the other specs.

Fire is the best pvp spec by far right now and that's not saying much. Greater Pyroblast is sure to piss off the melee derpers who are used to killing mages in a couple GCDs. They still do, but if you are able to set up a cast or two of GPB you have a shot.

Don't really agree with your assessment. Mage pvp is still brutally unforgiving...where any melee class/spec can faceroll mages, mages have to outplay even the scrubbiest back-pedaling keyboard-turning melee.

Fire with GPB is what mages should be - nuke damage dealers. Mage damage should be orders of magnitude more than melee, and mages should be relatively squishy...but the problem is that GPB is the last honor talent you unlock when it's the kind of damage mages should be capable of dealing BASELINE.
    I can only talk from a ret perspective but a frostmage is my nightmare target in a 1v1 in a bg, its impossible to catch up with you when you spellsteal freedom, i guess its the same for warriors and dk's when you save your blink charges for grips/leap/charge.

The only melees that should give you a hard time are Rogues/Monks/DH's because of their mobility i think.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2017-02-03 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    I can only talk from a ret perspective but a frostmage is my nightmare target in a 1v1 in a bg, its impossible to catch up with you when you spellsteal freedom, i guess its the same for warriors and dk's when you save your blink charges for grips/leap/charge.

The only melees that should give you a hard time are Rogues/Monks/DH's because of their mobility i think.

I feel bad when a pally tries to kill me, it's like I am trying to outrun a quadriplegic with no legs or arms, that has to contort their midsection and head to move at all. I saw a video awhile back that described this kind of effort and sight by a Pally Mage matchup and thought it fit well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc

An insult to life itself. One day pallys too will be able to lay a hand on mages.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact you're talking about "resilience gear" when that hasn't existed for 4 years makes me think that it's more of a player issue than a game issue. PvP gear in terms of stats isn't even a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a ret paly i have an unending hatred for mages. I blow CDs/pots to kill them.

Resilience.

My eyes did not trick me.

Quote Originally Posted by TLH View Post
    I do not really feel more powerful, I don't wear resilience gear at all, just my standard pve gear, but I feel like I have a chance to kill some people some time now.
    I don't wear resilience gear at all
    resilience gear
    resilience
    Wall of text invalidated by one word. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    The fact you're talking about "resilience gear" when that hasn't existed for 4 years makes me think that it's more of a player issue than a game issue. PvP gear in terms of stats isn't even a thing.
    I went back to the old pvp stat instead of versatility, which is the updated resilience stat that grants flat damage boosts too. I quit wow in 2010 and came back for legion, for most of that time the pvp stat was resilience. But none of that negates the point, mages feel less horrific now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanyuki View Post
    Wall of text invalidated by one word. Amazing.
    How was it invalidated? Mages do suck overall in pvp, and resilience was tweaked yet again and renamed "versatility" so it's still in the game. Nobody gains credibility for being a stickler for game terminology.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How was it invalidated? Mages do suck overall in pvp, and resilience was tweaked yet again and renamed "versatility" so it's still in the game. Nobody gains credibility for being a stickler for game terminology.
    Mages suck in PvP but are able to play the strongest comp at the minute? Seems legit.

LOL, a mage crying in PvP, DAFUQ xDDD
    ps : play fire and if you still suck, stop pvping.
    Last edited by Schmilblick; 2017-02-06 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    You have difficulty reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    You have difficulty reading.
    Not at all, mages have never been weak in ANY season but he still manage to whine about it in the start of Legion.

Deleted
    Mages are still good, you just need to play correct spec. See here people talking about frost mages being able to stack up icycles for glacial spike. That's wrong, respec frozen orb/ice lance and you deal a ton of damage. Play that in 3v3 together with boomkin or sp and just pve the crap out of them and you will win a lot. Don't forget to spam blizzard on many targets to reset frozen orb.

Arcane mage is as what I would say the weakest of them of mage talents to pick, but arcane missle spec is still good and has serious burst potential. Just to bad you have to wait for procs to line them up and get the burst.

Fire is just a safe spec to go to. Has good damage and a lot of fun in bg's with flame strike spec. In arena you might need to go living bomb and just pump out dps.

Mages suck in PvP but are able to play the strongest comp at the minute? Seems legit.
    Still stuck on the "arena matters" bandwagon?

Fire is the least worst of the 3 specs ATM, but still far from being on par with other casters let alone melee.

Not at all, mages have never been weak in ANY season but he still manage to whine about it in the start of Legion.
    You don't play a mage, so stop talking. I play enhance and mage, and I wreck mages on my enhance no matter how good they think they are in arena, BGs or in duels. Remove head from anus before typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrionmoo View Post
    Mages are still good, you just need to play correct spec. See here people talking about frost mages being able to stack up icycles for glacial spike. That's wrong, respec frozen orb/ice lance and you deal a ton of damage. Play that in 3v3 together with boomkin or sp and just pve the crap out of them and you will win a lot. Don't forget to spam blizzard on many targets to reset frozen orb.

Arcane mage is as what I would say the weakest of them of mage talents to pick, but arcane missle spec is still good and has serious burst potential. Just to bad you have to wait for procs to line them up and get the burst.

Fire is just a safe spec to go to. Has good damage and a lot of fun in bg's with flame strike spec. In arena you might need to go living bomb and just pump out dps.
    Yes, the only way to make frost mages remotely viable for pvp is frost orb / blizzard but that only works if melee decides to ignore you. Once you get the attention of just about any melee in the game you'll be forced to play defensively and you won't be able to do shit.

People who watch a few edited youtube pvp videos of mages doing well get this serious misconception that mages are as good now as they were back in say TBC or even WotLK.

ALL MELEE IN THE GAME (except for enhancement shaman) HAVE MULTIPLE SHORT CD MOVEMENT ABILITIES THAT MAKE IT PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR A MAGE TO ESCAPE.

- In 7.1.5 mages got "themed" shields that are exceptionally weak. Fire mage's bubble absorbs 170K with pvp template enabled. That's not even enough to stop one DH auto attack.

- Mages have to choose a talent called "shimmer" that gives them 2 blinks but no ability to break stuns. Blink twice, ranged stun gets you, you die. Iceblock? Nice, you survive another 8 sec unless a priest dispels the block, only to die as soon as it fades 9 out of 10 times.

- All ranged classes have some kind of healing ability cept mages. Fire spec offers a weak 6% HoT with each blink; that's it. Temporal shield is a retarded joke.

- All ranged classes get some kind of passive damage mitigation IN ADDITION to whatever their defensive CDs are. Mages get no such thing.

- The mage template offers melee nearly 20% versatility, but mages get 5-9%. That's a flat 10% damage reduction for melee who now have as much uptime on ranged as ranged has on melee, who do as much or more damage as ranged, and who have far better passive defensives. How the F is that OK?

You have to be a 2K rated mage to stand toe-to-toe with a back-pedaling keyboard-turning scrub playing any melee spec. It's that simple, and it shouldn't be that way.

You don't play a mage, so stop talking. I play enhance and mage, and I wreck mages on my enhance no matter how good they think they are in arena, BGs or in duels. Remove head from anus before typing.
    This is a MELEE expack and we are not comparing mages to melee but mages to the other casters. I don't know who's got his head in his ass.

This is a MELEE expack and we are not comparing mages to melee but mages to the other casters. I don't know who's got his head in his ass.
    Really? It's a melee expac? Where was that noted on the marketing material pertaining to legion? I didn't see that bullet point. Melee and casters engage in the same activities within the game - why would you single out one or the other? Like I said, remove head from anus before posting. You still didn't dothat.

Really? It's a melee expac? Where was that noted on the marketing material pertaining to legion? I didn't see that bullet point. Melee and casters engage in the same activities within the game - why would you single out one or the other? Like I said, remove head from anus before posting. You still didn't dothat.
    Ok kiddo, you are right.