Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    no. aquariums are known to be the lair of lady vashj and azshara. they are not safe.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well fish could't run away from you, there is always the risk of them jumping out and committing suicide. I like an open tank in your case I would recommend one with a nice secure cover

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    But the experts say to start off with a used one..
    That's mostly just to get a good start for cheap. You could be fine with a used one. I just don't recommend it personally because you don't know its history. There could be a hairline crack forming you don't notice or the seems might have weakened because it was sitting in their basement for the last 15 years acting as a box for whatever they felt like throwing in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    also, what kind of fish are you looking to get?

salt water or fresh water?

if you are a beginner id suggest fresh water, in a smaller sized tank. and work your way up from there.

salt water takes a bit more care and specialized equipment (aka money) while fresh water is easier on both you and your wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What's the point of a fish?
    What? It's wildlife. A beautiful example of nature. How can you not be enthralled by the motion of it swimming around.

Where's your humanity dude..

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We've had salt-water tanks in my house for YEARS. Decades even... Don't remember any leaks!

We now have had a 250~(I think?) gallon tank for around a decade, I think, and it's great. It even has a little mini-tank in the bottom closed off with LED lighting where sea-corals and the like basically make oxygen and clean/filter the water. ^_^
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    We've had salt-water tanks in my house for YEARS. Decades even... Don't remember any leaks!

We now have had a 250~(I think?) gallon tank for around a decade, I think, and it's great. It even has a little mini-tank in the bottom closed off with LED lighting where sea-corals and the like basically make oxygen and clean/filter the water. ^_^
    I need to see pictures.

Deleted
    Have had an aquarium for over 20 years. Never seen a single leak. Ask a neighbour to feed them every couple of days with long-lasting fish food if you are gone for long.

Deleted
    Well, my parents have had aquariums all my life. To my father annoyance, they have never leaked, never broken down and they never needed repairing. Here is a guide how to reseal one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Meyb2JYCU. (Which you shouldn't have to do if you don't buy one that is ancient.).

Seriously though, read up on the types of fish you want, buy an Aquarium that is new, i think it's worth spending the money. Start off with a small one, read up on the fish you want. Get a GOOD pump or whatever you call it in English, like any pet you should give it the best you can. Good luck.

PS: Don't buy a small tiny catfish type fish, my mother let me choose one fish as a kid and i choose one. It got big and fat and ate the rest of the fish :P

This is true. But there is beauty in the process of selecting fish, planting aquatic flora and customizing your aquarium how you like it.

I suppose that would be the only option eh. Or set up a remote camera?
    I was going to add the remote cam option, sure. And you do seem like the kind of person who would want one of those anyway.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I had some fish before but it was hard cleaning so I dumb them to the sea and I bought a croc it stayed for some time until it wanted to eat many meat
    very high price so I sold it

Turtles can carry salmonella.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

if you want a cool looking pet try a bat or a crow very easy to handle for the bat
    but the crow its messy a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Turtles can carry salmonella.
    So wash them off and cook them properly before eating them. Problem solved.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfectly safe Ive had them for years. I have a dirted freshwater tank with Australian rainbows.

Aquariums are most likely safe, once you teach your fish to swim. This process can take several weeks, so you should throw some fish-sized life preservers into the tank every time you have to leave the house for more than an hour or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my 60 gallon aquarium for about 3 years now. Never had any problems with leaks but it's a pain the ass to clean. I'm fairly certain that, should you ever have a leak, you'll be given more than enough signs to get it taken care of before it becomes a problem. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Aquariums are safe alright, as long as you respect a few guidelines. Like, for example, no more than 1 fish creature per X square cube of your water's volume, so they have plenty of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Kekeke I JUST posted about my two new pet shrimp in the Pets thread.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PoisedFrenchIrishwolfhound.gif

Yeah it's safe. Why wouldn't it be safe?
    As an example of what NOT to do, see the picture below. This guy probably forgot to carry over a decimal somewhere:

Deleted
    I'm thinking about getting one but I'm worried about it leaking and ruining my floor.

Wouldn't there also be a concern during my vacation time when I would leave my place for several days. A leak then could surely be catastrophic.

Anyone have any ideas? I used to have an aquarium in the past and it sure was relaxing to watch the fishies swim about.
    They're not completely safe from breaking no. My sister had a really big one that one day decided to break and leak out across their living room floor, which they had to replace as a result of all the water damages caused. It was a big aquarium.
    And if you live alone, you will need someone who can look after it if you're gone for whatever reason. Fishies die easily. Stress, malnourishment, bad water, heat, cold, illnesses, suicide. Yeah, some fish like to kill themselves by jumping out.

An aquarium isn't a good time for a fish anyway. Maybe that's why some just try to end it... They're not as dumb as you'd think and putting a ton of them in a little container feels, I dunno, to me it doesn't feel right. So you either have a huge one or not at all. And a huge aquarium is a lot of work and if it does break you're really fucked.

They are perfectly safe unless you have a cat! lol