Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    you offer the kid and anyone else 20 dollars worth of chocolate and then fight the kid that grabs it? this is already thoughtless enough to make you either very dumb or very evil.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Way back in my day, family had the right to beat the children of other family members. I know that's considered inhumane and barbaric these days, but it did seem to work pretty good.
    Yup, I remember this very well. I wasn't disciplined much as a child because I knew what would happen. The simple fear of a beating kept me in line. My mother gave me free reign to do what I wanted as well, as long as I wasn't stupid and had respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grab someone else's kid? Should expect an angry parent if you do that.The parent didn't handle her job, but you were still wrong. Best be careful when you think it's a good idea to step in and discipline someone else's child. You should have taken your issue to the parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    For a lot of parents...it matters why you laid hands on their child. As I said in my original post in this thread...I wasn't there so I can't judge whether or not he was in the right. All I asked was a question as to his motivations regarding why he grabbed the kid. That's a question that he, and only he, can answer.
    He was climbing on a bookshelf? Or did I miss something not as obvious?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Grab someone else's kid? Should expect an angry parent if you do that.The parent didn't handle her job, but you were still wrong. Best be careful when you think it's a good idea to step in and discipline someone else's child. You should have taken your issue to the parent.
    Yea until he falls off a bookcase, or pulls a shelf out with 50lbs of books ontop of him and next thing you know your dealing with home owners insurance lawsuit.

Back in my day you would get a nice thick slipper to your ass/arms or even better direct hit on the head for acting like shit.
    You did the right thing, good job man really no need to feel bad. You wife cannot even be on the fence for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    He was climbing on a bookshelf? Or did I miss something not as obvious?

- - - Updated - - -

Yea until he falls off a bookcase, or pulls a shelf out with 50lbs of books ontop of him and next thing you know your dealing with home owners insurance lawsuit.
    Ok, so you keep going by throwing it down on the carpet and screaming at it? That's what the parent saw in their eyes. I can't imagine reacting in any way that wasn't angrily if I saw someone do that to my kid. If I saw Op do it to someone else's kid I would probably react angrily.

That's not how a person should be treating a child.

Of course I would have smacked my kid if he did that to the chocolate to begin with.

Ok, so you keep going by throwing it down on the carpet and screaming at it? That's what the parent saw in their eyes. I can't imagine reacting in any way that wasn't angrily if I saw someone do that to my kid. If i saw him do it to someone else's kid I would probably react angrily.

Of course I would have smacked my kid if he did that to the chocolate to begin with.
    In most cases the angry parent in this situation is just projecting. They know deep down they are a shitty parent and he was the easy target in this situation. I mean whos gonna sit there an admit otherwise when their kid is a little shit?

The only other option is the parent is so oblivious and stupid.

He said he told her exactly what the kid was doing and she still got mad. She was just pissed she got indirectly called out on being a terrible mother.

10+ Year Old Account
    In most cases the angry parent in this situation is just projecting. They know deep down they are a shitty parent and he was the easy target in this situation. I mean whos gonna sit there an admit otherwise when their kid is a little shit?

The only other option is the parent is so oblivious and stupid.

He said he told her exactly what the kid was doing and she still got mad. She was just pissed she got indirectly called out on being a terrible mother.
    Maybe, but that doesn't give the Op any right to be violent towards the dumb parent's child. I'm sure every parent in that room didn't like what they saw.

Maybe, but that doesn't give the Op any right to be violent towards the dumb parent's child. I'm sure every parent in that room didn't like what they saw.
    lol wat...

I put my arm around his waist and pull him off the bookcase.
    If I pull someone out of the way of a falling object am I being "violent"? lmao

Should've grabbed the little shit by the ear and brought him to his clueless parents that way.
    If they didn't teach him to respect others - all you can do is make him be afraid of you, and to do that he must know you can hurt him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't take issue with removing the child from the bookshelf. However, his wording - "pulled" him off and started "laying" into him - sounds like he may have yanked the boy off and yelled at the young child afterwards. Both sound more forceful than necessary (outta frustration). I can understand a parent getting upset if that happened.
    Im sorry, but when this happens then the parent has already failed hard. If other people get frustrated from your children's lack of manners then you have lost the right to bitch about it. If you do not want your children to be addressed in such a manner then you should take better care of your children and the situation.

Oh god, are people really hung up on his wording?

If you don't "pull" him off the bookshelf what do you do? Levitate him off it? Assist his removal? Help him egress the bookshelf?

I mean really...

A 6 year old was climbing on a bookshelf and was removed from doing so. How this is not universally acceptable is just beyond me. I'm at a loss for words.

You guys are acting like this is the OP;

Followed up by:

Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-07 at 07:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    As I put him on the floor I start laying into him about this is my house and my rules, and we don't do that here, yada yada yada.... and I tell him that if he can't behave he can't stay at my house. [B]Then his mom came in yelling at me for grabbing her son.
    That's his story. I bet you the mother of the child tells it differently. I bet she says something along the lines of, he threw my baby down and was yelling at him.

Deleted
    lol wat...

If I pull someone out of the way of a falling object am I being "violent"? lmao
    just using object instead of person or subject makes you acknowledge this fact...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Im sorry, but when this happens then the parent has already failed hard. If other people get frustrated from your children's lack of manners then you have lost the right to bitch about it. If you do not want your children to be addressed in such a manner then you should take better care of your children and the situation.
    Not people. 1 person in the room decided to jump up and discipline someone else's kid.

Deleted
    That's his story. I bet you the mother of the child tells it differently. I bet she says something along the lines of, he threw my baby down and was yelling at him.
    Well, then she should have taken better care of her children. If your children behave badly in someone else their homes then you should address this directly. When you fail to do this then you have no right to bitch about it when the person who lives there does.

- - - Updated - - -

Not people. 1 person in the room decided to jump up and discipline someone else's kid.
    The person that lived there, not the person who was supposed to do this. That is on the person who is supposed to do this, not the person who actually did it.

Why do I get a feeling that if some of you had children you would be the mother from this story.

Oh well.

Terrible. Just terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Well, then she should have taken better care of her children. If your children behave badly in someone else their homes then you should address this directly. When you fail to do this then you have no right to bitch about it when the person who lives there does.

- - - Updated - - -

The person that lived there, not the person who was supposed to do this. That is on the person who is supposed to do this, not the person who actually did it.
    I'm not defending the parent. She should have disciplined her kid. If someone did that to my kid though. It would mean a fight. Maybe not a fist fight or anything like that. There woudl be a lot of yelling at minimum.

Did you not read his full story? He tried involving the mother the FIRST incident that happened. She hand waved it and laughed it off.

wtf is with the selective reading around here?

Deleted
    I'm not defending the parent. She should have disciplined her kid. If someone did that to my kid though. It would mean a fight.
    So you would start a fight with someone because you failed to address the problems with your own children? Sounds like great parenting

And, had she disciplined her kid none of this would have happened.