Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Withered Army, what was the purpose?

Where is our withered army that we trained to help us in Nighthold? I found it really strange that they never joined us in the raid somewhere. Am I missing something, or will they serve a purpose even further down the line? I was hoping there would be some sort of boss where we had the army either hold off some forces, or use them for zerging something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordhbane View Post
    Where is our withered army that we trained to help us in Nighthold? I found it really strange that they never joined us in the raid somewhere. Am I missing something, or will they serve a purpose even further down the line? I was hoping there would be some sort of boss where we had the army either hold off some forces, or use them for zerging something.
    open your eyes, they where there in the leadup quests,and elisande nuked them on the bridge outside the nighthold, the ones that survived Follow Thalysra around like white on rice. and are at her beck and call.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

I was disappointed with the lack of follow up on the army too. they showed up in a later quest but that's all. I was hoping for a follow-up scenario with tougher encounters for the army to face

Withered army training was there so people who are aware of the exploit can get exalted with Nightfallen on the first day..

Jokes aside, if you follow the storyline and actually read the quest texts you can see the withered army helping you a bunch on the quests leading up to nighthold

Sucked as a healer. Sucked as a DPS. Faceroll as a tank. GG Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I think that even if they had such a plan, they'd have probably scrapped it. Most nontanks I know did not enjoy the scenario and I cannot really think of a way to make a new one without tanks still being godly
    Could make it easier for healers by letting the heals persist for one. Not sure how to make it easier for DPS outside of some vampiric aura based on your damage (like locks have). Just keep the taunting berserkers but having a way to keep them alive would be main thing.

what the hell? I had ZERO issues as a DPS. yes it was easier as a tank, but seriously, if anything it was a little tedious and i can certainly understand healers not enjoying it, but DPS classes? MAYBE right at 110, but with even a little bit of gear, just take it slow and use CDs. There's no time limit. It's really not that hard at all. I 100% agree though that healers need to be able to heal the guys. That part is definitely shitty.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    what the hell? I had ZERO issues as a DPS. yes it was easier as a tank, but seriously, if anything it was a little tedious and i can certainly understand healers not enjoying it, but DPS classes? MAYBE right at 110, but with even a little bit of gear, just take it slow and use CDs. There's no time limit. It's really not that hard at all. I 100% agree though that healers need to be able to heal the guys. That part is definitely shitty.
    Meh I did as fire mage at start and it sucked, whereas any class with a taunt has it easy. For example was a complete joke on my Ret paladin.

I was expecting them to show up in some raid encounter but alas.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    Jokes aside, if you follow the storyline and actually read the quest texts you can see the withered army helping you a bunch on the quests leading up to nighthold
    Yeah, they get stuck on the time thing on the bridge, and I enjoyed them during the quests. But if I don't misunderstand the lore inside the raid, we actually break through so the outside forces can get in via the main gates, which would mean our withered army would be free again.

I don't get what the point of making them stronger against fel was if it's not utilized. I was hoping there's be some sort of mechanic during a boss, like on Gul'dan with healers bubbles you could have summoned the withered to create a wall against an attack like a meat shield or something. Or some sort of reverse gauntlet where we use the withered to slow down the opposing forces while we defend something.

Yeah, they get stuck on the time thing on the bridge, and I enjoyed them during the quests. But if I don't misunderstand the lore inside the raid, we actually break through so the outside forces can get in via the main gates, which would mean our withered army would be free again.

I don't get what the point of making them stronger against fel was if it's not utilized. I was hoping there's be some sort of mechanic during a boss, like on Gul'dan with healers bubbles you could have summoned the withered to create a wall against an attack like a meat shield or something. Or some sort of reverse gauntlet where we use the withered to slow down the opposing forces while we defend something.
    I think it was on the last week before the NH opened, they charged a quest boss who had a fel barrier or something can't remember

Deleted
    I think they had something to do with those quests I rushed through because I wanted the mount.

I don't get what the point of making them stronger against fel was if it's not utilized.
    Gul'Dan mythic only phase. Gul'Dan presses his oneshot button like at the end of the LK fight, a withered comes out of nowhere, massrezzes everyone and kills Gul'Dan.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The purpose was to make you grind the mana they so delicately put all around the handcrafted zone which they wanted you to fully experience because they worked hard on it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    That's the thing, DPS can get through it for sure... but slowly. And Dro was an absolute cunt as a squishy DPS because he'd murder all your withered if they tanked him and beat you into paste if you tanked him, until gear got good enough that you could burst him down fast enough. Besides that, DPS needed to carefully pull pack by pack.

Whereas a tank, you would aggro a whole room, hold it while your withered AoEd everything down, then move to the next. Even with low gear, a tank would do it HEAPS faster.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    I had WAY more fun on my DPS toons in there than my tanks, easy clear at 840'ish ilvl on the majority of classes. If you had decent healing gear you can swap to a DPS spec no issues as well. I fail to see the issue other than you obviously not knowing how to clear it...

On topic. If you play through the main quest line you can see the army in action multiple times, we wouldn't have made it to the Nighthold without them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    On topic. If you play through the main quest line you can see the army in action multiple times, we wouldn't have made it to the Nighthold without them
    But that's the thing, it feels like we would have. It's almost like we're only using them for experimentation, but in the end, we're strong enough ourselves to persist anyhow.

Deleted
    But that's the thing, it feels like we would have. It's almost like we're only using them for experimentation, but in the end, we're strong enough ourselves to persist anyhow.
    Ya I hear that, like it would have been nice to have a raid encounter with waves of them being throw at the boss or something. Overall they were pretty helpful in the build up at least

I'm not that far in the story, I only have them assist me in WQ near Suramar City sometimes. Other than that I'm only annoyed that they haven't bothered with ambient music in the withered scenario. I find that weird.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    Yeah pretty much It was fairly interesting and new though.