Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Lol, are you seriously trying to argue that people with higher education are, in average, stupider than those without?
    Kinda hard to see someone as smarter when he takes a life crippling debt for social studies and then struggles to find a good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Ehm... Did you actually take a look at the nice little pictures the OP showed you?
    I'm guessing you'd vote "leave".
    Education and wisdom are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Just a thought...

Example: It could be that people with higher education don't end up working/living in the places that suffer from immigration pressures and therefore don't suffer from the same threats to their work/living conditions. (ie - A lawyer compared to a manual labourer)

I don't think its as black and white as the BBC makes out.
    Perhaps. But I've also read/heard that Brexit wasn't about immigrants, but about sovereignty.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    The disinterest of the young voter pretty much made it possible.

It's a done deal now, just push it through as well as possible and move on already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    So much for the "those who voted for Brexit were stupid" narrative.
    Um...

Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    Do you know how to read graphs?
    Seems like a failure of education.

Do you know back in the day higher education wasnt for every village idiot with debts?
    Careful you don't give yourself a hernia moving those goalposts so far so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Just a thought...

Example: It could be that people with higher education don't end up working/living in the places that suffer from immigration pressures and therefore don't suffer from the same threats to their work/living conditions. (ie - A lawyer compared to a manual labourer)

I don't think its as black and white as the BBC makes out.
    If you read the article that's one of the things they speculated on.

Quote Originally Posted by TotemJoker View Post
    The fact this comes from the bbc means this information is rather unreliable
    I don't like it!

FAKE NEWS!

They LITERALLY give the statistics. You don't have to listen to the journalist's story. You don't have to listen to the researcher's conclusions. You can just read the numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hard to see someone as smarter when he takes a life crippling debt for social studies and then struggles to find a good job.
    https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Mkay...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    The BBC as a reliable source hahaha....millions of its funding from the EU, about as biased a source as you can get.

Most degrees these days are awarded by collecting enough stamps from the back of a cornflakes packet/tokens from a brewery. Probably explains why almost two thirds of graduates are either unemployed or working in non-graduate jobs. And they paid a fortune to achieve this. How dumb do you have to be if you need a university education to end up flipping burgers when some can go straight from school and do it.

Dumbo remainiacs gonna remain.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Reread my post please. There was this word I used that starts with s and ends with l

- - - Updated - - -

Education and wisdom are two different things.
    Education is strongly linked to employment. If you are working in manufacturing, globalisation is bad for you because your job will be outsourced. If you work in finance, it won't affect you or it will be positive.
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reread my post please. There was this word I used that starts with s and ends with l
    Emmm, reread the post you originally quoted, with the word that starts with a and ends with e. Your arguments have been hopping all around the place, and I don't think even you understand any more what your claim is.

But for social sciences, here is another stereotype buster:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193099.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm here to enjoy Dzudzadzo and my popcorn, carry on chaps
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

*giggles*

I wonder how much of a problem brain drain is gonna be. My guess would be many STEM degree holders will find better opportunities abroad in joined science projects. Especially the ERASMUS student are probably looking into their options.

What the actual fuck...

As someone with two degrees, who's been a university lecturer and college teacher as well as worked significant time in the industry, I think people are putting WAY too much stock in assuming the intelligence of people based on their education and qualifications.

I don't think there's been much of a correlation between education and intelligence for decades now - if anything going to university is more related to social positioning and family income then it does the intelligence of the person (not that there's not a likely connection between these things anyway).

The Education system, in the UK at least, is totally unfit for purpose, and is far more concerned with making money than it is in "educating" people.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Well duh, higher educated people are liberal fools that ate all the racism calling and blindly tried to prevent the UK from entering the golden age that the EU is holding it back from

Seriously though, it really shouldn't matter what education people have, their vote still counts and one can discuss from now to the end of days how everyone of opposition is voting blindly, but it ultimately doesn't foster any resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    No offense but there are different experiences with immigration that corelate strongly with income which in turn corelates strongly with education:
    If you live next to an afghani doctor and his grade school teacher wife, chances are those are educated people who adhere to our norms and values in social interactions, no matter what their faith is or how their household is structured. This is because the instituitions of educations filter out those that are completely unwilling to learn reasonable debate and scientific method.
    If you live in a neighborhood with a high % of low education immigrants your experience will be vastly different. Violence and unreasonable behaviour are what you experience, as well as nationalism and glorification up to a radical point of the culture they left behind.

If I belong to the first group of course immigration seems like a good deal. Because immigration like that is a good deal!
    But as it seems like a good deal to the first group, it seems like a shit deal to the second group. The same thing applies: Because immigration like that is a shit deal.

Both are perfectly reasonable in their assessment, what is not reasonable is to completely reject immigration or glorify it to a point where you argue for no selective process at all (not security, but in terms of education and marketable skills).
    Wow, this guy gets it. On both sides.

I'd argue that it's also economic. If you're doing well, that Afghan Doctor probably isn't any sort of threat to you or your way of life. At worst, he represents some increased competition that nominally decreases your generous wage. You probably make that deal because he's interesting and makes good conversation.

The Mexican laborer living next door to the Pennsylvania coal miner, on the other hand, is an entirely different economic experience. If he takes your job, your life is more or less broken. Not to mention that he can be paid under the table, and is happy to work for half as much as you because half of minimum wage is a standard of living upgrade for him.

It's almost like we should evaluate each immigrant and decide whether they are a significant net benefit or not, and then make an appropriate decision. For those of you that haven't tried listening to the Trumpists with a sympathetic ear, this is more or less what they're trying to say.

Lol, are you seriously trying to argue that people with higher education are, in average, stupider than those without?
    Actually they are more ignorant, because they are more removed from the real world and struggles that the rest of the people are constantly exposed to.

wow, shock-horror, the working class voted in their own perceived interests!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    LOL, are you for real?
    Not necessarily stupid. Just chose work over tertiary education. Many probably couldn't afford to waste 3/4/10 years on esoteric qualifications.

It's these workers who are most affected by open-door immigration from the EU and that's why many voted out. To give themselves (what they hope will be) increased opportunities with a diminished low-skill labour supply.

I'd prefer to see the vote spread for Average Income over education levels. I bet you'd see a similar pattern of Leave votes being higher in low income areas. (Really that's what it was anyway with the North of England and Wales largely voting out.)

Err, let me guess, you voted "leave"?
    Because that's pretty much what you can read from the plots. The older und more uneducated the higher the chance you voted leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    LOL, are you for real?
    http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/04/04a80...d0286e883d.jpg

:thinking: