Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    This thread reminds me of

an Iraqi refugee and a congresswoman standing together, in front of a few Anti-Muslim ban signs and when the refugee gets asked about what he thinks of Donald Trump he responds "I LIKE HIM"

the congresswoman freaks out.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    It seems clear from the last few posts of yours that you don't support Trump. I really appreciate that fact that you understand what's really going on though. The left in general doesn't seem to realize that their strategy for "resisting" is doing the opposite. It's driving more and more people to Trump.
    Condescending insults rarely cause someone to change their mind. I grew up in a small rural town, and its not the monolith people want to pretend it is any more than an urban center is a homogeneous population. Rural America is hurting right now, and when all you get is a sneering mockery of your lifestyle then it pushes you in a direction you might not otherwise have gone. Are there the ignorant, blind fanatics among Trump supporters? Of course. Is this everyone who voted for Trump? No. Is this behavior exclusive to Trump's base? Of course not.

And no, I clearly don't support Trump. I just end up with everyone mad at me though as my issues are with Trump specifically, not Republicans in general (except you McConnell, you suck). I end up being pretty centrist, I voted for a third party for president and down-ballot voted for both Democrats and Republicans depending on the candidate/track record of the incumbent. Had the Republican primary broken differently I would have voted Kasich. Both parties have good ideas, both parties have bad ideas, both parties have good ideas but a poor implementation plan, and both sides are hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Someone who can't handle satire.

She once sued someone because he made a satire musical video about her. After she won the case, he did it again, but made it harder for her to act, as the song was released everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSxXCwBgog is the song she couldn't stop =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44NlC-Vd98 for the background
    This is fucking gold. Weirdly a very catchy tune.

If you start a similar offensive thread with the same topic like "I like Adolf Hitler", will you be banned then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Condescending insults rarely cause someone to change their mind. I grew up in a small rural town, and its not the monolith people want to pretend it is any more than an urban center is a homogeneous population. Rural America is hurting right now, and when all you get is a sneering mockery of your lifestyle then it pushes you in a direction you might not otherwise have gone. Are there the ignorant, blind fanatics among Trump supporters? Of course. Is this everyone who voted for Trump? No. Is this behavior exclusive to Trump's base? Of course not.

And no, I clearly don't support Trump. I just end up with everyone mad at me though as my issues are with Trump specifically, not Republicans in general (except you McConnell, you suck). I end up being pretty centrist, I voted for a third party for president and down-ballot voted for both Democrats and Republicans depending on the candidate/track record of the incumbent. Had the Republican primary broken differently I would have voted Kasich. Both parties have good ideas, both parties have bad ideas, both parties have good ideas but a poor implementation plan, and both sides are hypocrites.
    I agree somewhat with the whole insults doesn't lead to much progress, but there's also a false equivalence that 'both sides' on any given issue can be good or bad, or that 'both' sides of a political issue can be as good (or as bad) as each other. In some cases, sure, in others, no - some people are wrong.

There's also two issues being broached in this thread. One (Trump) is being discussed in many places here alone - the other, is some racist, redneck, stupid politician in Australia. Now, before we get people's knickers in a twist about that description, it's simply how it is.

Pauline Hanson appeals to people who like black and white simplicity. There's no room for nuance, for depth or for appeals to our better nature. Like many countries, there are racist undertones to Australia that persist to this day and flare up occasionally and that's what she draws on. In Australia, that support resides mainly in rural areas of 'outback' Australia in Queensland, Western Australia, and where the OP is from. I joke (somewhat despairingly) about the situation, but you're right to chide that kind of dismissive attitude.

Nonetheless, were rural electorates not horribly gerrymandered, then the right wing of politics in Australia would struggle much more than it does. The vote of someone such as myself (in urban, cosmopolitan and generally left leaning Melbourne) simply doesn't count as much as someone in Tasmania or outback WA - notably in the Senate.

Also, in Australia, Red = Labor - a social-democratic party based originally on the trades union movement which has moved further and further to the center in recent years away from more left leaning roots. Liberals = conservative right leaning group that has moved away from more Laissze Faires roots into a more right wing group as it reacts to Labors shifts. One Nation and Pauline Hanson are to the right of the liberals, but many of her political ideas have been co-opted by the Liberals. In the vacancy to the left are the Greens who have likewise shifted from a purely environmental focused party into a left wing, progressive party.

If we see any growth in political groups in Australia, I think it's likely that we'll see it to the left based on population trends and city growth. The right here has got a giant boner since they saw the trump model work, and all it's done in practice so far is make one of the more despicable tea-party like liberals split to form his own party (financed by one our richest mining magnates). The right is looking like eating itself in Australia, not electing Pauline fucking Hanson as PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setheria View Post
    I agree somewhat with the whole insults doesn't lead to much progress, but there's also a false equivalence that 'both sides' on any given issue can be good or bad, or that 'both' sides of a political issue can be as good (or as bad) as each other. In some cases, sure, in others, no - some people are wrong.
    I hardly know anything about the Australian political landscape, so I'm only going to comment on this little snippet (though thanks for the read!). I didn't mean to state that both sides are equivalent on every issue. Its more that in contemporary American politics that the 'vs' mindset has become entrenched. I know some conservatives where if I walked up to them and said "I am a liberal", whatever came out of my mouth next would be wrong, even if it was "Fire hot!" And I know some liberals where if I walked up to them and said "I am a conservative", same deal. Its becoming a fundamental, "My side is always right, the other side is always wrong, I refuse to even hear an alternative point of view" and that is false, destroying political dialogue, and that's more what I was speaking against.

Sometimes liberals are right, sometimes they are wrong. Sometimes conservatives are right, sometimes they are wrong. Sometimes one side might have a decent idea on paper but a shit plan to implement it, and the knee-jerk reaction of the other side is to scrap or obstruct instead of working to put out a 'viable product'.

15+ Year Old Account

Rural America has been hurting ever since the modern era when the US became a consumer and service economy. Urban and suburban life are are the ones subsiding the lives of the rural through taxation and SS, medicare, medicaid, SSDI, and the highway lobby that has successfully own large swaths of state governments and their funds.

The "good" ideas from republicans involve tearing down public institutions that have helped us to where we are today; all of their proposals would make us the west equivalent of Russia.

- - - Updated - - -

Rural America has been hurting ever since the modern era when the US became a consumer and service economy. Urban and suburban life are are the ones subsiding the lives of the rural through taxation and SS, medicare, medicaid, SSDI, and the highway lobby that has successfully own large swaths of state governments and their funds.

The "good" ideas from republicans involve tearing down public institutions that have helped us to where we are today; all of their proposals would make us the west equivalent of Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hey man, I never promised anyone that all of my threads would be a home run.
    i agree threads made by draenei are boring.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post

So rural America contributes nothing and those living there either don't matter or should just move to the suburbs? No republican has ever had a good idea and all ideas from the democrats are fantastic as-is and should be implemented wholesale without bipartisan review?

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Supporting Trump today is the best way to become unelectable. Good luck to her.
    lol the irony of this statement pleases me

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    Hehe, Australia doesn't need a wall. It already has a wall....Called the ocean.
    No they need a wall against the kangourou

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    This thread reminds me of

an Iraqi refugee and a congresswoman standing together, in front of a few Anti-Muslim ban signs and when the refugee gets asked about what he thinks of Donald Trump he responds "I LIKE HIM"

the congresswoman freaks out.
    This refugee is a good troll hahaha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The ruler of Australia is her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, but you can't ask alt-righter to know such ''details''...
    ....You're letting your blind hate for "alt right" make you look questionable*. Do you really honestly believe the Queen "rules" Australia and has anything at all to do with their politics? Because she doesn't.

*Using the term questionable because saying someone had foolish views before got me infracted so I'm gonna hope questionable isn't considered flaming.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    What? Something's happening in Australia? Guess how many people outside Australia care what happens in Australia? I'll give you a hint, it is a single digit, it is round and has a large hole in the center. Did you guess 0? Congratulations!

Nobody cares.
    Then why are you here? Why are you posting? To tell us that no one cares? What on earth would we do without you and your imaginative replies?

So rural America contributes nothing and those living there either don't matter or should just move to the suburbs? No republican has ever had a good idea and all ideas from the democrats are fantastic as-is and should be implemented wholesale without bipartisan review?
    Rural whites are hardly the only demographic in America that has suffered economically, endured stereotyping and insults, or had their concerns overlooked by mainstream society. However, they ARE the only demographic that decided their their struggles were dire enough to elect a historically unqualified candidate to the presidency in the name of shaking things up. You aren't the only people in this country who have problems, and if you want others to care about you, maybe try taking the lead and have some consideration for others first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    ....You're letting your blind hate for "alt right" make you look questionable*. Do you really honestly believe the Queen "rules" Australia and has anything at all to do with their politics? Because she doesn't.

*Using the term questionable because saying someone had foolish views before got me infracted so I'm gonna hope questionable isn't considered flaming.

Then why are you here? Why are you posting? To tell us that no one cares? What on earth would we do without you and your imaginative replies?
    Justin Trudeau is not the ruler of Canada either.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Justin Trudeau is not the ruler of Canada either.
    Deep state ?

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Rural whites are hardly the only demographic in America that has suffered economically, endured stereotyping and insults, or had their concerns overlooked by mainstream society. However, they ARE the only demographic that decided their their struggles were dire enough to elect a historically unqualified candidate to the presidency in the name of shaking things up. You aren't the only people in this country who have problems, and if you want others to care about you, maybe try taking the lead and have some consideration for others first.
    I know that, which is why its a good thing that wasn't an argument I was making. They also aren't the only demographic in America that voted for Trump. They are a demographic that came out in larger than usual numbers and helped tip the election, and their motivation for doing so should be discussed. That's all I'm really trying to say, and I don't feel that insulting their lifestyle is productive.
    You wouldn't insult urban blacks who have been marginalized and feel disenfranchised simply because of who they are or where they live, why is it acceptable to do it to rural whites?