Do people hate DKs for Mythic 10 or higher?

So the gear you get from mythic 10 is 865 in the dungeon and 880 in the weekly chest. For the longest time I had tried to get into a +10 because I was stuck at 875 and it seemed to be my only way of advancement without doing mythic raiding. No one would let me into their groups however so I assumed it was my ilvl. I noticed that the most common ilvl people wanted was 880. But how the heck are you supposed to get to 880 when you have to already be there to get into the content that can get you there?

Well, thanks to the legendary upgrades and the heroic nighthold chest from the weekly quest I was able to get to 880 this week. I was all excited thinking finally someone might let me in. Nope. Not a single group would let me in, not even last minute Monday night groups. So I'm at their gear requirement but I am still not good enough? Do people just hate DK's? I know my DPS is competitive but I can't really show them that until they give me a chance. And yes, I know I could get my own key up to +10 and form my own group but I'm really in a state of maintenance on my toons right now, doing the minimum each week, and I don't really have the time/motivation to grind keystones all day long.

frost dks are pretty crazy in mythic+, but it could be your ilvl if you're applying for dungeons with 2dps/1tank/1healer so are a lot of others, i applied for a +15 1tank/healer/1dps i have ilvl 913 grp finder so of course i get in, but when i'm in i can see who's applying there was over 25 ppl applying, plenty over ilvl 900, so just think how many people got turned down with huge ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    frost dks are pretty crazy in mythic+, but it could be your ilvl if you're applying for dungeons with 2dps/1tank/1healer so are a lot of others, i applied for a +15 1tank/healer/1dps i have ilvl 913 grp finder so of course i get in, but when i'm in i can see who's applying there was over 25 ppl applying, plenty over ilvl 900, so just think how many people got turned down with huge ilvl.
    I kinda feel like I lost my chance to get higher in Mythic+ because now instead of people doing them to gear they just want fast easy 3chest runs for AP and such and those who weren't already geared are left in the dust. Of course, an ilvl of 880 is sufficient for current raid content but without a way forward I'm at a loss as to what to do with my time in game until 7.2. And that has my questioning why subscribe if I can't advance. Been working on some alts but the idea of grinding rep/artifact power/skins on all of them isn't very appealing.

Frost DKs are good in M+, and definitely amongst the upper tier of specs. The problem (as social healer mentioned) is that even when I post that I'm looking to form a group for a +2, and put 840 as an minimum ilvl, I get people with ilvl 890+ applying. It's hard to make a case for lower ilvl people because everyone just wants to get their run over with as fast as possible. Also keep in mind that most people are probably undergeared and looking to 3chest a +10, so taking a 880 is unlikely to carry them.

One suggestion I can make, is to bite the bullet and look at M+ that people don't like doing. Apply BRH, VoW, HoV, etc. There is a lot of competition with 905+ carry groups doing all the easy dungeons, but pickings are slim with some of the others. Another suggestion would be to join a +7 or +8, perform well, and convince the keyholder to take you along on the next one as well. If you find people you group well with, ask to add them to friends list and set up a weekly key run. It takes some time to get established, but it pays off and definitely possible to do via pugs.

If you're under-geared start your own group and play a tank doing low keys with your spec set to dps untill you gear up. You aren't going to get into high key groups with an 880 ilvl.

I've had 990+ apply to runs as low as +3.

If you are the highest ilevel DPS applying to a PUG, a frost DK would get in most circumstances. But 880 isn't that uncommon now with people having 2 940 legendaries.

Update: was finishing up mythics with my alts last night, posted a +4 mythic and the first set of applications were: 873 healer, 883 DH, 885 hunter, and then 898 demon hunter.

Are they completely overgeared for a +4? Yes. But sometimes people want an easy, stress free 3 chest with no complications & challenge.
    Last edited by taek; 2017-02-07 at 09:48 PM.

Honestly, if you can't reliably get into pugs because of low ilvl, just join a guild with people that do mythic + runs. Doesn't even have to be a raiding one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanDark View Post
    So the gear you get from mythic 10 is 865 in the dungeon and 880 in the weekly chest. For the longest time I had tried to get into a +10 because I was stuck at 875 and it seemed to be my only way of advancement without doing mythic raiding.
    Sorry mate but I stopped reading your comment right where the above quote ended. I'm floating around 890 ilvl, and I didn't touch mythic raiding in Legion. Cleared EN on Heroic, got only 2/3 in Heroic ToV, and currently only at 4/10 in Heroic NH. Also I'm not "farming" Mythic+ either, for more than a month I didn't do any of them, not even +2. So no, you don't need mythic raiding to advance in ilvl, stop finding excuses.

Deleted
    Find some people to play with. 875 is good enough for +10. But as other people said, when pugging you can get higher geared people. So don't pug. Find a guild/make some friends. I sure as hell take an 875 I know (and who doesn't fuck up) over any 890+ from the LFG tool that I know nothing about. And you probably find some 875s who have the same problem. Group with them, run the instance.

Or just open your own group and invite only the people you want (this is again obviously easier if you at least now either a tank or heal, but again, woW isn't a singleplayer game, making friends is necessary).

Frost DKs are pretty useful in Mythic+. They have a strong balance between AoE and ST damage, AoE stun, AoE slows which are super helpful on Necrotic weeks, combat rez, Death Grip (very useful for interrupting non-interruptable spells!) and you can take some punishment with Frost DK's armor level and IBF + Death Strike, so you can help the tank on Necrotic with taunts.

Unholy is pretty decent too but you lose out on a lot of utility imo, most importantly the AoE stun. I main Unholy but I still play as Frost in higher Mythic+ dungeons as I find it so much more useful overall, even with my frost artifact being ~6 traits behind and 15 iLvl less than my Unholy artifact.

People in general also seem to prefer Frost as when I apply for a Mythic+ and I forget to add a note the leader sometimes whispers me and asks if I'm Frost.

Also you have to remember that you're a melee dps, there might not be any melee spots available so you won't get invited. There is also the case with Hero/BL, but you can buy some drums and add it in your note, I've got invited on multiple occasions because I carried some drums with me. There are also probably idiots that make their judgements based on Noxxic sims (lol) and they see DKs near the bottom and won't invite you, but you probably don't wanna get into those groups anyway.

Regarding gear upgrades, the best advice I can give you is to pug raids on reset day since most good pugs raid on that day (in my experience at least). Try doing ToV HC and NH Normal, I'm sure you can find a decent group with 880 iLvl.

Just another post of a solo player who's struggling in an MMO with no concept of what in game relationships bring. Take charge of your own fun and put some work in. Find a guild, use that guild to find peopke to run with you. Use your key to find players, make a point of getting to know them and adding them to your battltag. Build a social, m+ running network. The same people who excel at this, excel in life. All of these concepts are the corner stone to success is most things you can do in this life. Stop putting your fate in the hands of others, start taking charge of your own enjoyment.

I'm not having this problem at all. I was way behind the curve a few weeks ago at about 850 ilvl, and I've managed to solo queue my way up to 885. I tank more often than I dps, just because it's near instant to find a group, but even when I decide to dps it doesn't take too long to find groups. Just apply to a ton, eventually you'll get in. Also, you can still get good upgrades from lower stuff if the items get titanforged etc.

Tldr: be persistent, or suck it up and tank and get into a million groups instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by xPraetoriaNx View Post
    Sorry mate but I stopped reading your comment right where the above quote ended. I'm floating around 890 ilvl[/URL], and I didn't touch mythic raiding in Legion. Cleared EN on Heroic, got only 2/3 in Heroic ToV, and currently only at 4/10 in Heroic NH. Also I'm not "farming" Mythic+ either, for more than a month I didn't do any of them, not even +2. So no, you don't need mythic raiding to advance in ilvl, stop finding excuses.
    Well then you must have gotten some lucky war/titanforged procs because Heroic EN only offers 865, and ToV 870 gear. Neither of which is of any use to me at this point. If you're not going to read the full post and answer the actual question then simply don't reply to the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    Just another post of a solo player who's struggling in an MMO with no concept of what in game relationships bring. Take charge of your own fun and put some work in. Find a guild, use that guild to find peopke to run with you. Use your key to find players, make a point of getting to know them and adding them to your battltag. Build a social, m+ running network. The same people who excel at this, excel in life. All of these concepts are the corner stone to success is most things you can do in this life. Stop putting your fate in the hands of others, start taking charge of your own enjoyment.
    I play way too many different things to sink that much time into one game. And I wouldn't say I'm struggling at all, my ilvl is higher than current normal raid gear so I'm fine for the moment. But like I said, with few ways forward with the time I have available for wow, there's not much motivation to play until later in the expansion. This post was meant to see if DK's are disliked in M+ (because I don't pay much attention to what the community thinks) or if my suspicions were correct that I will remain behind the curve as far as M+ goes. I don't find regular people to play with because the second I feel obligated (in this case through commitment to others) to play the game I lose interest. I always have and will always be a solo player (with the exceptions of irl friends who occasionally play) so if this is as far as a can get then I will accept as much. As for taking charge of my enjoyment, I'd rather put more time into Rift where the community is much more likable and I can do just fine doing my own thing.

Deleted
    I just did a Mythic 15 EoA and was very competitive on damage some bosses I even topped the damage by a large margin.

Comp was Guardian Mistweaver Affliction Unholy Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by taek View Post
    I've had 990+ apply to runs as low as +3.

If you are the highest ilevel DPS applying to a PUG, a frost DK would get in most circumstances. But 880 isn't that uncommon now with people having 2 940 legendaries.

Update: was finishing up mythics with my alts last night, posted a +4 mythic and the first set of applications were: 873 healer, 883 DH, 885 hunter, and then 898 demon hunter.

Are they completely overgeared for a +4? Yes. But sometimes people want an easy, stress free 3 chest with no complications & challenge.
    I also wonder how many of those are working on the 100 instances for their hidden tint.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by RomanDark View Post
    I play way too many different things to sink that much time into one game. And I wouldn't say I'm struggling at all, my ilvl is higher than current normal raid gear so I'm fine for the moment. But like I said, with few ways forward with the time I have available for wow, there's not much motivation to play until later in the expansion. This post was meant to see if DK's are disliked in M+ (because I don't pay much attention to what the community thinks) or if my suspicions were correct that I will remain behind the curve as far as M+ goes. I don't find regular people to play with because the second I feel obligated (in this case through commitment to others) to play the game I lose interest. I always have and will always be a solo player (with the exceptions of irl friends who occasionally play) so if this is as far as a can get then I will accept as much. As for taking charge of my enjoyment, I'd rather put more time into Rift where the community is much more likable and I can do just fine doing my own thing.
    You've sort of answered your own question here. If you want to get into +10 and up PuGs, you will usually need at least Keystone Conqueror, preferably Master, and have a solid gear level. Frankly, you're at the right gear level but the problem with PuGing behind the curve is that usually people want more than 'average' for it to guarantee smoothness and success without having to fight for it.

I did a NL12 a few days ago with a slightly undergeared healer (862) and a fairly standard group aside from myself (I'm 899 eq, they were ~875-885), but it was a serious struggle to pull the healer through. We did it, but we wiped several times and took 45m for the timer. In progression, like 2 months ago? That was fine, and a pretty standard experience. Now? It's trash tier performance, and people expect better than it, and don't want to struggle with their sub-15 keys.

Can you do it? Yes, even as a solo player without gear or achieves. But it's going to take time investment and effort to find a solid network of players and preferably a guild to get a good playerbase to pull from to do higher keys regularly and smoothly.

FDK is the strongest melee spec for a M+

Strong Single target
    Strong AoE
    Strong Cleave
    AoE stun 1 min CD (I generally dont take HRW for M+ since bosses dont live long enough to need those kind of breaths and i walk in with full RP and runes)
    Bres (HUGE)
    Grip (HUGE)
    Passive AoE snaring

Also the age old way to gear as Melee was always TANK IT, I was tanking 10-15s with 35 in blood for the longest time while having a 54 Unholy weapon and 40 Frost. it will also make you a better DPS in 5 mans as you know the type of pulls that should be done and you generally gain a better understanding of a dungeons pacing with all affix categories.

PS: you also get very annoyed at new tanks who do not tank the way "you would" as a side effect
    Last edited by Baddok21; 2017-02-24 at 02:47 PM.