Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    He was climbing on a bookshelf? Or did I miss something not as obvious?

Yes...but was the motivation to pull the kid off the bookshelf? Was he doing it to protect the child or the chocolate?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Yes...but was the motivation to pull the kid off the bookshelf? Was he doing it to protect the child or the chocolate?
    Does it even matter? >_<

Why does everything need to be some deep psychoanalyses to some people?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    OK OP here, and my final post on this:

1. Dogs are fine, but one did sound like he was going to vomit so I put him outside... when he came back in he was fine. I don't know if he vomited or not.

2. I took the boy by the waist and put him on the floor standing up. No more force than was needed to get him off the bookcase.

3. "Laid into" meant that I very clearly, and loudly, told him that this was not acceptable in my house. I am loud anyway, but I am sure I was a bit louder than normal.

4. Which made me more upset? The chocolate or the climbing on the bookcase? Both, equally, I believe.

5. I would probably do the same thing again. I have twins, and if they had ever done this there would have been consequences for them.

6. The point about the $20 per pound of chocolate was that I think $20 per pound is kind of pricey, and I bought 3 pounds for the party, and had he gotten away with it, he would have eaten about $30 of it. Then probably have gotten sick... and who knows if he's vomiting in my home?

For those who say they would commit violence against me..... well great. The police are a phone call away, and I would have pressed charges. Is it really worth all that when you didn't control your own kid, and I had to step in and do your job? I mean, I did tell the mom about the first time, and she laughed it off. Should I expect her to act differently the second time?

Ah, now that sounds ok. If a kid tried to climb some of my bookcases, they'd not even get to the first 'level' of it, because it would fall. I'd pull it away too. And btw, I don't even think it's important if the chocolate was expensive. It was yours, you told him not to take it, he did it anyway. That's stealing and his parents should teach him, that it's not right, no matter if you're stealing from an uncle or a stranger. If they don't, they can't visit people anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

OK OP here, and my final post on this:

1. Dogs are fine, but one did sound like he was going to vomit so I put him outside... when he came back in he was fine. I don't know if he vomited or not.

2. I took the boy by the waist and put him on the floor standing up. No more force than was needed to get him off the bookcase.

3. "Laid into" meant that I very clearly, and loudly, told him that this was not acceptable in my house. I am loud anyway, but I am sure I was a bit louder than normal.

4. Which made me more upset? The chocolate or the climbing on the bookcase? Both, equally, I believe.

5. I would probably do the same thing again. I have twins, and if they had ever done this there would have been consequences for them.

6. The point about the $20 per pound of chocolate was that I think $20 per pound is kind of pricey, and I bought 3 pounds for the party, and had he gotten away with it, he would have eaten about $30 of it. Then probably have gotten sick... and who knows if he's vomiting in my home?

For those who say they would commit violence against me..... well great. The police are a phone call away, and I would have pressed charges. Is it really worth all that when you didn't control your own kid, and I had to step in and do your job? I mean, I did tell the mom about the first time, and she laughed it off. Should I expect her to act differently the second time?
    Don't even sweat it dude.

Around here if you say one thing people will twist your words into something completely different.

Removing a child from a bookshelf automatically means you did this!

Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-07 at 05:39 PM.

Does it even matter? >_<

Why does everything need to be some deep psychoanalyses to some people?
    As I said before...the reason someone laid hands on their kid often matters to parents.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    As I said before...the reason someone laid hands on their kid often matters to parents.
    It only matters to parents who need to think of a quick defense to act offended and wronged.

It only matters to parents who need to think of a quick defense to act offended and wronged.
    I'm sure that applies to some.

Again, I'm not casting judgement on the guy...I wasn't there. I just wanted to know his motivations. I like to think that if I were in that same situation my motivation would be more to protect the child (no matter how shitty the kid was being) than to protect the chocolate.

How is your wife on the fence? Who are these people to her specifically (family reunion, but are these people close?). Frankly, I'd tell these people never to come back unless they A) apologize B) keep their kid in check.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    In all seriousness, if you think that 20$ worth of chocolate is something to throw this kind of fit over, I wouldn't host parties to begin with.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

All sides could have handled this better. Of course leading that charge are the parents.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    I disagree. He can, and should, ask them to leave but nothing gives him the right to discipline someone else's child, not even the kids parents being wankers.
    And this right here is one of the main reasons why these kids are twats....

*shrug* Never miss an opportunity to tell someone they are doing a shit job of raising their kids. It's societies future you're looking out for.

ESPECIALLY in an environment where violence isn't likely

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    I disagree. He can, and should, ask them to leave but nothing gives him the right to discipline someone else's child, not even the kids parents being wankers.
    Lol, society will do it for them, they have the chance to do it nicely first. If they don't want to take that opportunity, then their kid is gonna suffer for it. Which will be on them
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

My wife's family came to our house for a family reunion over the weekend. Most of them are fine, but there is one family I do not like. They have that "we're too good for you" kind of air about them.

Anyway, at one point, their son had a dish of chocolates in his hands... the kind that costs about $20 a pound ( you will see why I mention this ). There was probably 1/2 a pound on the plate. I told him to take a piece and put the rest back. The kid is about 5 or 6 years old... He proceeded to lick each piece. I took the plate from him and took it to his parents and told them what he had done.... The mom's response was ( laughing ) "That sounds like Charlie." So, I asked her to keep an eye on him, and she just kind of rolled her eyes.

About 2 hours later I seem him with a dish with about 20 pieces of chocolate on it and he walks right past me..... I grab the dish and put it on the top shelf of my built in bookcase. and I tell him that he is not having any more chocolate. Well, he then runs to the bookcase and starts climbing up it to get to the chocolate. I put my arm around his waist and pull him off the bookcase.

As I put him on the floor I start laying into him about this is my house and my rules, and we don't do that here, yada yada yada.... and I tell him that if he can't behave he can't stay at my house. Then his mom came in yelling at me for grabbing her son. I tried explaining what her son had done, but she didn't want to hear it; she only wanted to yell at me for touching her son. The mom, is my wife's nephew's wife. She got all pissy and went and grabbed their coats and they left.

And oh, he somehow kicked the dish of chocolate after I took him down, and my dogs ate some.... chocolate can be lethal to dogs.

That kind of put a damper on the party and some others left not long after.

Anyway, I think I was in the right.... my wife is kind of on the fence, but some of the people who saw what happened told me I did the right thing - maybe not because of the chocolate, but because he the kid could have fallen off the bookcase and got hurt.
    You're in the right. The mom sounds like an overly-emotional dumb ass to be frank.

Your house your rules. Damn fucking right.