Thread: Devos Confirmed

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I get the part about her being unqualified and at times seemed grossly incompetent during the hearings...but can anyone explain the school choice issue and why so many teachers are against it?
    Because it basically leaves children from poor/lower-middle class backgrounds up shit creek with little hope to get out of the cycle of poverty by educating themselves. As things stand the public education system is so gutted and twisted seven ways to Sunday that many classrooms only function because the teachers pay out of pocket for supplies the schools can't afford (because many school districts have fallen prey to the Libertarian modus operandi of ensuring a public system is too broken to work so they can point to it to justify a Randian drive to privatize everything on the taxpayer's dollar).

This is only going to get worse under DeVos, whom has never attended or sent her children to public school and is thus as uniquely unqualified to serve as Secretary of Education as Trump is for President or Carson is for Urban Development (or Bannon is for anything with a security clearance higher than gmail.com), because she wants to defund public schools and use taxpayer money for religious charter schools and exorbitantly-expensive private schools.

Even assuming financial aid in paying for tuition, the poor/lower-middle-class are going to be left in the breeze (just like every other time hard-right conservatives take over despite consistently being able to convince those same demographics privatization is in their favor) because there will be many families that, even with vouchers to help pay for school, won't be able to afford the remainder of tuition, to take time off work to get their kids to/from (which is currently handled by a public bus system, which would also be privatized under DeVos's plans to defund public education), and pay for uniforms and any other supplies the school doesn't provide (because private schools are primarily for-profit organizations like any other business that gets in on government-run markets).

The sad thing is, so many people buy into that trap--where an existing public system is run so terribly by people with a vested interest in privatization that they can point to it to justify privatization--that this shit happens over, and over, and over, like clockwork, and because Americans have a unique misperception that their poor aren't an exploited, impoverished working class but millionaires just one lucky break away from their fortunes, they never wise up to it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Snip
    I was trying to find the right words to explain the issues, and you nailed them pretty damn well.

The current US system is bad and does need help, but as someone said earlier, when you need heart surgery you don't get the grocer at the supermarket.

Good, now she can move on with fixing the education system. You "the world is ending I'm ashamed to be American" folks can immigrate somewhere else if being American is hurting your mental health. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Having a relative who immigrated to Canada, I can say that they do not. It's very hard to get in. You have to have a skill set that they feel they need.
    That makes me think of a joke we use to tell about Kentucky and Tennessee.

After years of getting Tennessee rejects, Kentucky finally decided to control the flow of people from Tennessee into Kentucky and only accept the best they had to offer. One day two fellas walk up and the First guy says "I pilot", the guards says, "We can always use more pilots, come on in" 2nd guy walks up and states he is a woodcutter, Guards said, "we don't need any more stinking woodcutters, denied!" First guys turns around and says, he can't do his job without the 2nd guy. The Guards, looking confused, said they didn't under stand how that was possible.

First guy says, "He cuts the wood and I pilot"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Thage's trap explanation
    This post should be "quoted for true" in every single page.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexilius View Post
    Good, now she can move on with fixing the education system. You "the world is ending I'm ashamed to be American" folks can immigrate somewhere else if being American is hurting your mental health. Good luck
    Explain how.

Explain to me what she has proposed that will fix the American education system, and keep in mind I'm fully aware that the US education system needs help badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...tion-secretary

Pence becomes the first VP to break Senate tie over cabinet nomination.

Really was looking for someone to stop this from happening.
    Great choice, maybe now we can get things done!

No thanks. I have a Master's degree and I work as a mental health counselor and teacher at a major university. I earned my job and my qualifications and I intend to use them to make America a better place.
    Skoldier for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    No thanks. I have a Master's degree and I work as a mental health counselor and teacher at a major university. I earned my job and my qualifications and I intend to use them to make America a better place.
    Your university is probs shut down tomorrow.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    Explain to me what she has proposed that will fix the American education system, and keep in mind I'm fully aware that the US education system needs help badly.
    I suspect the veterinarian use of the term 'fix' is commonly in used within the Trump bandwagon.

Takes education system to the vet to be ... 'fixed'.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Do tell what you think she'll do to improve your education system.
    First explain how you think she'll fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    People with zero job experience tend to do a bad job.

That's already been explained... she intends to focus fire funding on schools that promote the mental abuse via neglect of young children. That's pretty fucked up.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill remember that next time something happens that you strongly oppose.

In a democracy, each person is given the opportunity to have a voice if you do nit like democracy, there are some fine communist nations you can emigrate to.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Trump Voters Have Been Had example #12783263
    I really hope that all the Republican voters who are expressing their outrage on social media and such actually remember whether or not their representatives voted for this the next time they're up for an election. My guess is that they're banking on everyone forgetting this by the time that comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    People with zero job experience tend to do a bad job.
    Problem is - people with zero experience and an nasty agenda tend to do an awesome job at screwing over things.

In this case, innocent children.

Not going to lie, I though it said Devo confirmed..... but it's been a long day.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone could support the teachers unions in places like Chicago. You have the dumbest people in the world teaching kids making 100k a year that can almost never be fired. The kids end up graduating half retarded, then the teachers have the nerve to go on strike for more money, it's always about more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    I'm glad I don't have any kids
    Came here to say just this. RIP any chance Americans have for good education.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

There's already been multiple people who've done that already in this thread.

Still waiting for someone who thinks this is great to explain how.