Poll: What job would you take?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I guess for me it would be more dependent on how this "bidding" process works....do you just automatically have this bid you can use at anytime or is it only a few selected people every year or something?

I guess basing it off of that you have that option at anytime, I would just stay in "A" and live the easy life and saving the bid for the chance something better may be invented in the future or if things turn sour with your position being replaced with automation. Though personally I'd probably always choose A since work is just paycheck, and I'd rather spend most of my energy on play.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Job A: $25.50/hr least overtime. Very little actual work. Low/no stress. Can get vacation when I want it.

Why would I want the shittier jobs with less or no vacation for only a tiny increase in pay? I'm fine with minimal overtime. If I work an extra five hours a week, I call that a success.

Admittedly, I'd probably go bored if there is 'very little actual work'. I'd prefer a job that has me doing stuff. Something between A and B would be ideal.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2017-02-07 at 08:03 PM.

Keep in mind, the current hourly wage is also larger once overtime kicks in. Overtime = normal wage x 1.5. This combined with extra hours likely to be worked and now Jobs B&C are producing an extra $15,000 or more a year.

I'm not trying to argue against anyone's point, just pointing out there is more to it.

Also, assuming a person had bid rights (rights are lost for two years when you win a bid, regardless if you stay at the new job or not) you can sign any bid that comes up. The winner is the person, with the most seniority at the plant (based on hire date, not department date), who signs the bid.

I have about 7 years at this business (3.5 in my old job). Normally jobs B & C are won by people with 10+ years working at the plant. Lots of people have retired throughout the business in the last 5 years, so the years it takes to win have decreased. My old job (A) is kind of under the radar.

Whatever one I pick, I can bid out of in two years anyway.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Missing the important option:

Job pays what I need to live comfortably and I enjoy going to said job.

I've had jobs that are high pay, but when you hate going to work in the morning something is wrong.

Job D, the one I enjoy and can earn a living doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I've had jobs that are high pay, but when you hate going to work in the morning something is wrong.
    Sounds like the entry level department I first worked in here. Even on my days off I couldn't keep from thinking about how miserable work made me. The only reason I stayed, other than the pay, was knowing that I would get bid rights after a couple years. Keep in mind, when I got hired at this company, I went from a near minimum wage job ($8.50/hr) to making more than twice that. The fear of poverty was a good motivator to put up with a miserable couple of years (new hires don't get bid rights for the first 2 years).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Which option is "Find a job you enjoy and work that, regardless of the pay"?
    I had one of those. I also had to wonder if I could afford to keep the electricity from being shut off.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    From my perspective all 3 jobs have a pretty good wage, so I just went with A

I was making around 20€ an hour (8 hours a day) as a graphics designer at an advertisement agency before and was happy with it. The job was kinda "easy" and usually low-stress and I enjoyed it.

Didn't really have to worry about money, either. But then again I have pretty low living-expenses to begin with (low rent, no car, no spouse and no children).

Work to live and not live to work, as someone already said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Job A hands down. 4 bucks an hour difference isn't enough for the added stress of job C. That kind of difference can be made up with good performance and a little brown-nosing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    My worry with Job A would be going nuts sitting in a basement playing solitaire. I think I would go with Job B - the middle ground between working your ass off and wanting to blow out your brains from boredom. Least you will be able to get out and move around.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's simple, pick the one least likely to be automated in the next 10-20 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is 3.50 an hour... I'll go with easy... I've turned down larger pay increases before. In fact, the job I am doing now is something I was offered 5 years ago at a 10% increase, but didn't accept it until the raise was closer to 33%. All I had to do is get laid off... which resulted in me making more in 3 months out of a job, due to 10 years worth of severance and unemployment, than I would have at the rate I was getting then.

Even without pay, my job now is a hell of a lot more rewording than it was before. Unlike before, replying to my parents question of 'why no kids?', with what I do, actually shuts them up. Worth more than the raise I got...

Edit: forgot to add... get off my lawn!!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Job D - 7 dollars an hour, you work 40 hours overtime a week but don't get paid overtime, enormous risk to self and those around you. Vacation exists but can only happen in certain arbitrary months, must be requested 1 year in advance
    (my job)

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    Job D - 7 dollars an hour, you work 40 hours overtime a week but don't get paid overtime, enormous risk to self and those around you. Vacation exists but can only happen in certain arbitrary months, must be requested 1 year in advance
    (my job)
    Exactly. Sounds like when I was in the Army.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    It's simple, pick the one least likely to be automated in the next 10-20 years.
    I would say the B/C are gong to be hard to automate withot building a new plant. They are also the most crucial jobs at this mill.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Exactly. Sounds like when I was in the Army.
    Builds character. I'm mostly directing this at the "job C because self improvement!" responses. Get on my level, all you self improvers.

The differences here are negligible. If you're talking about $10 vs $20 that's a harder decision b/c you're talking about the poverty line. But between $25 and $30??? You're doing fine just take the $25 and enjoy your life, unless it's a promotional job that will get you a huge jump in pay after a few years.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I already work C with A's vacation benefits, so none of those.

mmmm 4 weeks PTO
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say the B/C are gong to be hard to automate withot building a new plant. They are also the most crucial jobs at this mill.
    Those would probably be the best bet then. Being a more crucial employee will help you not have to worry about your employment in the future, taking a lot of stress off your shoulders, even if the work is harder.

What would you prefer?
    I whould prefer whatever job stimulates the mind. There is nothing worse than a job that gets you stuck doing the same things over and over again.
    Pick the job where you get to use your head the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Job A: $25.50/hr least overtime. Very little actual work. Low/no stress. Can get vacation when I want it.

Job B: $26.50/hr more overtime. Some dirty work, potential physically hard days. Hard to get vacation when i want it.

Job C: $29.00/hr more/most overtime. A lot more mental/situational awareness required. Many hazards. Hard to get vacation.
    lol I get paid $38 an hour base wage plus 30% shift loading for nightshift where I sit on my arse on a forklift and play on my phone with zero stress. Aim to get paid high while working the least, easy even without going to uni.

For a difference of $3.50 an hour, do the easy work with no stress.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

I would think the pay gap would be larger than what you posted.

From those numbers, easily Job A.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.