Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you were the Senator how much would you want to bet that the man with a history of personal vendettas and little regard for the rule of law is being sarcastic?
    Theres no way Trump could even do anything about it. The 3 possible candidates he was reffering to are untouchable. One is a pro life Chirstian Republican, another is a Democrat who won in a landslide, and the 3rd is a retired Vet who graduated form The Citadel and is also a Republican.

Messing with any of the 3 is a quick way to assure the destruction of the Repub party here.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    Theres no way Trump could even do anything about it. The 3 possible candidates he was reffering to are untouchable. One is a pro life Chirstian Republican, another is a Democrat who won in a landslide, and the 3rd is a retired Vet who graduated form The Citadel and is also a Republican.

Messing with any of the 3 is a quick way to assure the destruction of the party here.
    I mean I doubt he could get the guy removed, but he has substantial power to make his life worse.

And somehow I doubt concerns regarding state level party health carry much weight with Trump.

Good luck trying to get Juan Hinojosa out of office when he won his most recent election in a landslide.
    I have no stance on the state senator, he probably is great. I'm just commenting on the totally blown out of portion nonstop gotcha bullshit that the people on this worthless website stream. You guys are officially, literally worse than Trump.

Deleted
    Lord Alt Factish Trump doesnt care if his victims are in the same party.

For me it sounds as if "the Donald" just had to show up his godlike alpha state to the people he talked to.

A golden shower of Ego.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I doubt he could get the guy removed, but he has substantial power to make his life worse.
    Not really. The districts are pretty firmly behind the senators, and it would absolutely be seen as federal messing with state rights thing. If concerned about Hinojosa, he has an absolute mandate and there's nothing Trump can do about it.

Which is why, while what Trump said is idiotic, I'm not worried about it.

Not really. The districts are pretty firmly behind the senators, and it would absolutely be seen as federal messing with state rights thing. If concerned about Hinojosa, he has an absolute mandate and there's nothing Trump can do about it.

Which is why, while what Trump said is idiotic, I'm not worried about it.
    Ask Katy Tur what kind of power Trump has to make life worse for people who aggravate him. You seriously underestimate what words from a bully pulpit are capable of and the kind of day in and day out harassment those words can generate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Following US politics is so much fun, because whenever something like this happens, you can imagine what T_D would've done if Hillary (had won and) did it.

Seriously tho I am pretty amazed the US doesn't have safeguards against this blatantly incompetent near-fascist con. Like, how far is he allowed to go exactly? Can he do anything until the Reps in congress realizes that if they allow this to continue for 4 years their careers are over?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Katy Tur what kind of power Trump has to make life worse for people who aggravate him. You seriously underestimate what words from a bully pulpit are capable of and the kind of day in and day out harassment those words can generate.
    Sure, but Hinojosa has the absolute support of a fairly liberal part of South Texas. Thats not quite the same as a journalist at the whims of a private employer.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Following US politics is so much fun, because whenever something like this happens, you can imagine what T_D would've done if Hillary (had won and) did it.

Seriously tho I am pretty amazed the US doesn't have safeguards against this blatantly incompetent near-fascist con. Like, how far is he allowed to go exactly? Can he do anything until the Reps in congress realizes that if they allow this to continue for 4 years their careers are over?
    We have them, but they rely on Paul Ryan having a spine in the current iteration.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but Hinojosa has the absolute support of a fairly liberal part of South Texas. Thats not quite the same as a journalist at the whims of a private employer.
    What makes you think the harassment that Trump could easily sic on this guy would have to draw from his limited constituency?
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-02-07 at 10:30 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trump also claims that there are terror attacks in the US not being covered by the news, which is really funny. The media jumps on any terror attack like dogs going after a juicy steak, and spend every minute analyzing and over-analyzing every tiny aspect of every terror attack for weeks. It's their bread and butter.

It's really frightening the fictional world that Trump has created for himself. He thinks that him talking negatively about anyone or anything will destroy them (see NYT, CNN, etc.). He believes millions voted illegally for Clinton. He thinks reputable confirm-able news is all fake. This is the person with sole power to use the nuclear launch codes without any secondary approval, and he's incredibly delusional. He treats women like it's the 1930's. If he were a regular person I knew IRL, I would sincerely suggest to his family that he be checked for Alzheimer's and/or dementia, and maybe suggest they look into senior care for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're also talking about using the Repub state senators to harass Hinojosa, that's unlikely to happen either. There's still a modicum of repect for other govt reps down here.

If we're tlaking about channeling the power of the donald subredit, thats what the Texas Rangers are for. Not to mention, could probably serve as a solid base for impeaching Trump for fucking with state governments in that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Trump also claims that there are terror attacks in the US not being covered by the news, which is really funny.
    His list even contained numerous indicents which had been all over the world press. The terrorist that captured the truck in Berlin, as example.

Other incidents he posted in the list just are "everyday" crimes.. which are rarely covered by the national press.

You still find those in local news.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, this is the guy who openly admired Putin and Kim-Jong Un on the campaign trail. Are we really surprised?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

If you're also talking about using the Repub state senators to harass Hinojosa, that's unlikely to happen either. There's still a modicum of repect for other govt reps down here.

If we're tlaking about channeling the power of the donald subredit, thats what the Texas Rangers are for. Not to mention, could probably serve as a solid base for impeaching Trump for fucking with state governments in that way.
    I'm talking about a president telling his devoted fan base that a state senator is bad and it resulting in them behaving to that Senator exactly like they've behaved to everyone else Trump has said is bad for crossing him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about a president telling his devoted fan base that a state senator is bad and it resulting in them behaving to that Senator exactly like they've behaved to everyone else Trump has said is bad for crossing him.
    Which ultimately wont mean much to him. I trust a vet to be tougher than that. Considering the bill is bipartisan, this "threat" means nothing. Its still going to go through the process.

now if doxxing gets involved and harassment of his family, thats where you can get the Rangers / FBI involved.

Which ultimately wont mean much to him. I trust a vet to be tougher than that. Considering the bill is bipartisan, this "threat" means nothing. Its still going to go through the process.

now if doxxing gets involved and harassment of his family, thats where you can get the Rangers / FBI involved.
    "The authorities can get involved" should do next to nothing to alleviate the concerns of anyone watching a President who thinks this is an appropriate use of his authority.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The authorities can get involved" should do next to nothing to alleviate the concerns of anyone watching a President who thinks this is an appropriate use of his authority.
    Hey, I never said it was ok. I think Congress should slap him back for it (fat chance of that happening).

Just that I dont think Trump could actually do anything substancial. Hinjosa's been through shit already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_H...#Controversies

Trump is just joking
    he's supposed to be a president not a drunk asshat at the end of the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Are you sure? Fascism does not actually need to do that.

Fascism
    an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

This definition fits Trump and Putin well.
    What a broad definition.

Think you're forgetting a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    he's supposed to be a president not a drunk asshat at the end of the bar
    Obama joked, too... So did every other president. They aren't robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    I believe americans have the impression their democracy never can be lost to fascists or communists.

We germans believed that as well during the Weimar republic.

The turks believed that as well before erdogan.

And the russian federations constitution also was democratic.

Democracy is something which has to be protected by the majority. If the people do not protect it, it will be lost. And you surely will not protect it by voting a bigot right wing racist into office.