Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Aquariums are highly dangerous.

If you are concerned about it leaking, get a smaller one at first, one that you coudl carry it yourself if need be, and when you leave for an extended period of time, leave it in a tub.

Or, if you want a large one, make a custom stand that would collect water that leaked and hook that up to a drain(at least while you're gone). With this kind of setup, so long as it didn't shatter, it would be able to handle any leak.

However, in my experience, I have never seen or heard of a tank leaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

Had multiple over my life time, currently have a salt tank that we've had for almost 5 years now, never had a leak. It is work, but they look pretty cool. I really enjoy Corals personally. When we leave town we either have someone come by, or use the auto feeder. There are some other options out there I believe as well depending on the type of fish you choose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    But the experts say to start off with a used one..
    Because new aquariums from scratch often fail. As like all fishes dying, as like drowning in alga..

My first aquarium was a small one with 10 fishes and a snail. A present from a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Have had an aquarium for over 20 years. Never seen a single leak. Ask a neighbour to feed them every couple of days with long-lasting fish food if you are gone for long.
    I'm not so trusting to give a neighbour the keys to my place. No way.

First off any new well built aquariums should be completely safe i have a 55 gal that has been running 20+ years, Just be sure to set them up on an even surface.

Depending on the building there may be weight concerns I have around 200+ gals in one room on a upper floor in addition to a Tv 2 chairs and 5 people sometimes. But older, crappy, building sometimes cant handle the weight its good to check and see the weight capacity of your floor. Considering your a newbie and will probably start small weight capacity shouldn't be an issue.

The smallest i would go for anyone who is actually interested in fish to start off with would be a 40 gal breeder. Its big enough to store multiples of tetras guppies ect but is still easy for a newbie to handle. You may hear about a inch per gallon rule for seeing if a tank is big enough for a fish. Ignore it. That rule is wrong on so many levels and if you follow it is basically animal cruelty for bigger fish. If you want to get into the cooler fish like cichlids you want a tank long enough so at their maximum size they can swim at full speed for a few seconds with outhitting the outer side and wide enough so that they can do a full circle without hitting a side i usually like to have a tank 4+ inches wider than my longest fish is long,

One super important thing i cant stress enough is you need to let a tank age before you put fish in it. Fish need bacteria stored in the tank and in connected filters to keep their water in livable condition if you want tropical fish you will also need a filter. This bacteria needs a little while to grow before you can add fish. The first time you put in water you also add some bacteria from the store into it. For about a week or two you add more along with some crushed up flakes to to give the bacteria food. Test your water every few days to see if it is livable. When it is you can add your first fish. Assuming you have a tank over 5 gallons. Start small with one or two inexpensive fish that can start growing the tank even further to add more interesting fish.

Salt water tanks are far more complex and is something that a newbie really shouldn't even attempt tbh.

Also auto feeders do exist along with slow release food you put in a tank. In addition fish like cichlids can fast a week or to if they are properly fed beforehand.

Oh and for cleaning you will want to change 50% of the tanks water once a week.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/ is probably the best resource available for freshwater
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-02-07 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    Better move out the slums then.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Two things.... I had a 150 gallon aquarium at one point.... it caused a sag in my floor. Second, don't buy expansive fish if you aren't prepared for them to just up and die.... my aquarium was saltwater and one day I put in a piece of coral that I bought at a pet store..... next day all the fish had died. And saltwater fish can be really expensive.

Not so much for the OP, but for any others reading this thread.
    This... Totally. We've lost many fish over the years, but ever since about ten years ago my dad got very good at this, "git gud" anyone? And we've had no major issues!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Then how will you trust those fish in the tank? You might as well get a aquarium filled with water and add some algae to it, you can always trust algae.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Then how will you trust those fish in the tank? You might as well get a aquarium filled with water and add some algae to it, you can always trust algae.
    The fish might rob him blind or use his tooth brush. The pet rock seems to be more enticing by the post in this thread.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano