Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When will former factory workers pick themselves up by their bootstraps?

Those jobs were going away back in the 80s. Its time to get over it. Even China is automating/off shoring the factory jobs.

When will these people pick themselves up by their bootstraps and make their communities better, get off welfare, and start their own businesses. Thats the American way after all!

Deleted
    I think that will be right around the time when Kanye will make a song worth listening to.

They want Trump to give them free things.

The reason that so many people went broke in this country, is that they got lazy. Just as the Big 3 almost went under for not being serious about the long term, their employees did the same. Complacency kills companies, just like it can ruin people's lives. Instead of improving themselves, they want someone else to give them a job to do. Their lazy and ignorant asses never bothered to pick up a different skill set.

Never. I got family in Pennsylvania that all they do is bitch and complain waiting for their savior Trump to make America great again. They blame Obama for everything but when you see they lost their job to automation and not outsourcing you learn the real issue.

Working class white people in their 40's/50's who never got anything more then a high school diploma and cannot compete. Democrats did not make this a hard choice because they supported this Clinton neo liberalism bullshit that all trade is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Never. I got family in Pennsylvania that all they do is bitch and complain waiting for their savior Trump to make America great again. They blame Obama for everything but when you see they lost their job to automation and not outsourcing you learn the real issue.

Working class white people in their 40's/50's who never got anything more then a high school diploma and cannot compete. Democrats did not make this a hard choice because they supported this Clinton neo liberalism bullshit that all trade is good.
    Most of those jobs were lost to automation. Outsourcing was the final nail in the coffin. NAFTA yielded a net positive for manufacturing jobs over all and was started with the first Bush administration. However, I do believe the government should help those who lost manufacturing jobs gain skills to enter other areas.

To the OP, America has always banded together to overcome obstacles. This boot straps thing is a modern narrative from Libertarians and Republicans who were born into luxury and/or are of the "I got mine, no one else matters" mentality. Of course, now that I think about your statement, I may have been sarcasm.

How did this thread go from something mostly unrelated to Trump in two posts? We might need to update Godwin's law.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    However, I do believe the government should help those who lost manufacturing jobs gain skills to enter other areas.
    The narrative of the last election is not exactly a shining testament of the willingness to adapt on the part of these people. Au contraire.

You can try leading them to water, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    How did this thread go from something mostly unrelated to Trump in two posts? We might need to update Godwin's law.
    It was pretty much a ding against people who voted for Trump to begin with. Those pesky Rust Belt people.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Most of those jobs were lost to automation. Outsourcing was the final nail in the coffin. NAFTA yielded a net positive for manufacturing jobs over all and was started with the first Bush administration. However, I do believe the government should help those who lost manufacturing jobs gain skills to enter other areas.

To the OP, America has always banded together to overcome obstacles. This boot straps thing is a modern narrative from Libertarians and Republicans who were born into luxury and/or are of the "I got mine, no one else matters" mentality. Of course, now that I think about your statement, I may have been sarcasm.
    How exactly are you going to teach a 60 year old who's been laid off for almost a decade the skills necessary to get a well-paying manufacturing job? The people banking with industrial jobs nowadays are tradesmen doing gig work: Welders, CNC machinists, sparkies, HVAC guys, etc. That's a combination of physical and mental labor, labor which a 60-something is ill-equipped to perform.

It's not exactly a huge leap to make. The Rust bel;t is the reason that Trump won the election, he won the vote of working-class white people in the North. He promised them that he would get them jobs.

There's one problem, those people have nobody to blame but themselves for their plight. They were mad at everyone else, when all they had to do, was learn a different trade. They were victims of their own ignorance and stubbornness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    How exactly are you going to teach a 60 year old who's been laid off for almost a decade the skills necessary to get a well-paying manufacturing job? The people banking with industrial jobs nowadays are tradesmen doing gig work: Welders, CNC machinists, sparkies, HVAC guys, etc. That's a combination of physical and mental labor, labor which a 60-something is ill-equipped to perform.
    That 60-year-old should be teaching himself. He should have been teaching himself throughout his career. He has had 60 years to be educated and trained... and since he hasn't done it, there's no reason to think he will ever do it.

That sounds like something Trump would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Not about teaching...it's about keeping afloat financially while learning new skills, which doesn't happen in todays shitty society.
    Gotta keep the bills paid or you sink.

Dont they say: "no one helped me, pick yourself by your bootstraps" let them live those words
    Also, The only thing that should help is to wait them to kick the bucket.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    They want Trump to give them free things.

The reason that so many people went broke in this country, is that they got lazy. Just as the Big 3 almost went under for not being serious about the long term, their employees did the same. Complacency kills companies, just like it can ruin people's lives. Instead of improving themselves, they want someone else to give them a job to do. Their lazy and ignorant asses never bothered to pick up a different skill set.
    Um... no. This country had a thriving manufacturing base and middle class. Until deregulation, attacking the unions, and the cultural decision was made that CEOs and stockholders should be the only ones benefiting from profit and not the foot soldier workers. So the bosses cut wages sent the jobs overseas and we are where we are.

Greed is the answer, it isn't any other answer.

They won't be able to since I received a patent for my bootstrap pulling up robot, the bootstrap-o-lator 9000. It will now be automated as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Those jobs were going away back in the 80s. Its time to get over it. Even China is automating/off shoring the factory jobs.

When will these people pick themselves up by their bootstraps and make their communities better, get off welfare, and start their own businesses. Thats the American way after all!
    Fucking workers.

Why don't they just retrain as doctors then they wouldn't need no godamned healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I want to know, now that Trump is in office, where my jobs are.

I want to be swimming in jobs, the best jobs. The jobs only he can bring back.

*Sarcasm*
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Dont they say: "no one helped me, pick yourself by your bootstraps" let them live those words
    Also, The only thing that should help is to wait them to kick the bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That 60-year-old should be teaching himself. He should have been teaching himself throughout his career. He has had 60 years to be educated and trained... and since he hasn't done it, there's no reason to think he will ever do it.
    It's well and good to conduct a revenge fantasy on white people, Boomers, and white Boomers, but that's not a policy, it's a tumblr post.

It's well and good to conduct a revenge fantasy on white people, Boomers, and white Boomers, but that's not a policy, it's a tumblr post.
    It's not a policy, it's the lack of empathy. It's not like the working market is any better for the rest.

Its not like a revenge per se though. Its more like "they voted against their best interests, so their future suffering is well deserved"
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker