Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    The advert isn't pro illegal immigration, did you not get it or something?
    They could have made an ad that highlights the will to succeed without focusing on an illegal immigrant mother and daughters journey to enter the country illegally. It would have been more powerful for that point if they showed someone going through the process of legally entering the country because of a desire to succeed. They didn't do that and instead tried sentimental BS to tug at heart strings. You would have to be rather naïve if you really think this isn't pro illegal immigration just trying to hide behind the idea of "will to succeed".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    They could have made an ad that highlights the will to succeed without focusing on an illegal immigrant mother and daughters journey to enter the country illegally. It would have been more powerful for that point if they showed someone going through the process of legally entering the country because of a desire to succeed. They didn't do that and instead tried sentimental BS to tug at heart strings. You would have to be rather naïve if you really think this isn't pro illegal immigration just trying to hide behind the idea of "will to succeed".
    why do you think the wall has a door in it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I have no commentary on "immigration tourism" or whatever, just that if I was in Syria I'd be wanting to get the hell out of there.
    You could have just said that instead of pushing a video of dirty kids eating "water soup" in syria. That's a popular tactic, make it seem like its nothing but kids and women fleeing from the new holocaust, when in reality its a bunch of lazy, violent, uneducated male peasants fleeing poverty that bring their backwards culture and religion to the west, not to mention diseases western populations have eradicated decades ago and aren't prepared to treat again.

"Six diseases that were recently near eradication are making a comeback in the United States, as the taxpayer funded refugee resettlement industry launches a propaganda blitz about the so-called World Refugee Day this Monday."

The returning diseases are;

1. Tuberculosis
    2. Measles
    3. Whooping Cough
    4. Mumps
    5. Scarlet Fever
    6. Bubonic Plague

I pooped a little when I saw that wall.. How weak and frail it looked. Lets add turrets on top and at that a mote in front of it with alligators. If you wanna immigrate illegally then you'll face the hard choice of being eaten or mowed down. Learn the constitution learn the language then go through the application process of being here. It's not our countries responsibility to take on the worlds poor because their countries are dominated by drugs. We all have choices as a country as the people of that country to rise up and hose a revolution. Where do you think america started? Mexico can do this on their own. But if people continue to come to america with their continued poor values and lack of understanding of the roles of government than they can stay put. Im sick of this banter lets be soft and let them in. You all make me sick and I'll die defending the rule of law in this country. It's a damn shame that inviduals believe open boarders is the solution to solving humanities issues. If you don't like rule of law move to mexico or move to another country. See how bad it is there. You will realize it was the worst mistake of your life. See yaaaaaaaaaaa

Remember the left is the only side that praises terrorism as long as people are dying and open boarders as long as woman are continued rape.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The line was "We're fine with legal immigration, we want immigrants to go through the proper channels! We want the skilled ones, not the unskilled ones."

Republicans are cutting our immigrant acceptance in half over the next 10 years, and Trump is pushing to severely limit H1-B visa. People who said the above quote are defending both.

So much for being fine with legal immigration and skilled workers.

Commercials with political drive also push a product. Companies that are showing their support for the ACLU and oppose the travel/immigration ban are seeing huge surges in business and profits, meanwhile those openly coming out in support of restricted immigration are seeing huge backlash and decreased business.

Politics works when it comes to products.
    I worry that this might result in very low unemployment numbers. People think that low unemployment is good, but anything below 3 percent hurts economic growth. I don't think people realize how much we rely on immigrant labor. Cutting immigration numbers in half will have very real outcomes, some possibly good and some possibly bad.

Despite the negative backlash with the Lumber 84 and Budweiser ad (which in my opinion was much more tame than the lumber ad), it's generated far more likes on Youtube than dislikes and some lumber company no one's heard of outside of PA has captured national attention. Perhaps the lumber company felt that there's no such thing as bad publicity, no matter the public response to the commercial.

I have a finance degree with an econ minor, so yes I would be interested in finding out why you think tariffs would be good for the US economy.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no commentary on "immigration tourism" or whatever, just that if I was in Syria I'd be wanting to get the hell out of there.
    Short term no they would hurt it.

Long term they will become a necessity the states simply cannot afford to keep up its current trade in balance. At some point it must act in its own long term best interests and that simply can not be to import as much of its products as it currently does to put it simply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar24 View Post
    I pooped a little when I saw that wall.. How weak and frail it looked. Lets add turrets on top and at that a mote in front of it with alligators.
    I was thinking nano bots or wall guards riding armored velociraptors...

why do you think the wall has a door in it?
    Well it is a matter of interpretation. One might say its because 84 Lumber likes having cheap labor coming across the border illegally so they are going to support finding loopholes and undermining the efforts to secure the border by helping people illegally enter.

Another way to look at it is that for anyone with a desire to succeed will still be allowed to enter as they are welcome. That is of course a fine sentiment and all, but that could have been shown in a different way that didn't involve illegal immigrants. Like I said before you don't need to show the hardship of someone trying to cross the border illegally in order to say people with a will to succeed are welcome because showing someone doing it legally would be more poignant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it is a matter of interpretation. One might say its because 84 Lumber likes having cheap labor coming across the border illegally so they are going to support finding loopholes and undermining the efforts to secure the border by helping people illegally enter.

Another way to look at it is that for anyone with a desire to succeed will still be allowed to enter as they are welcome. That is of course a fine sentiment and all, but that could have been shown in a different way that didn't involve illegal immigrants. Like I said before you don't need to show the hardship of someone trying to cross the border illegally in order to say people with a will to succeed are welcome because showing someone doing it legally would be more poignant.
    how is it illegal if the door is open for them to come in?

how is it illegal if the door is open for them to come in?
    Because it is illegal to do so without following the proper laws and channels to enter? Just because there is or isn't a wall, or just because there is or isn't a door doesn't mean they are free to cross the border as they please. If they were doing it legally they wouldn't have gone through everything they did in that ad and simply crossed at the legal check point after showing their immigration papers etc..

Because it is illegal to do so without following the proper laws and channels to enter? Just because there is or isn't a wall, or just because there is or isn't a door doesn't mean they are free to cross the border as they please. If they were doing it legally they wouldn't have gone through everything they did in that ad and simply crossed at the legal check point after showing their immigration papers etc..
    What I think Lumber 84 is trying to say is that big business interests have the right to import illegal slave labor, which is why the commercial depicts their workers building their own un-sanctioned door into the wall which represents law and order. I think they could have gotten this poignant message across better if they had Lumber 84 workers lovingly constructing a slave ship.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Whats hilarious is people who support immigration for jobs "Americans don't want" are basically saying they want slave wage labor. cant get much darker than that.

If you pay a livable wages Americans will do any job. But if you know you can pay an illegal next to nothing why put a job up with an attractive wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    What I think Lumber 84 is trying to say is that big business interests have the right to import illegal slave labor, which is why the commercial depicts their workers building their own un-sanctioned door into the wall which represents law and order. I think they could have gotten this poignant message across better if they had Lumber 84 workers lovingly constructing a slave ship.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Short term no they would hurt it.

Long term they will become a necessity the states simply cannot afford to keep up its current trade in balance. At some point it must act in its own long term best interests and that simply can not be to import as much of its products as it currently does to put it simply.
    I don't know, I am of the opinion that free trade has had a net positive impact on all economies and the US as a national entity still has the worlds largest GDP (gross). Obviously some states produce more than others. Tariffs can help protect infant industries but the industries that Trump is talking about bolstering are not infant industries.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    Whats hilarious is people who support immigration for jobs "Americans don't want" are basically saying they want slave wage labor. cant get much darker than that.

If you pay a livable wages Americans will do any job. But if you know you can pay an illegal next to nothing why put a job up with an attractive wage.
    I don't support paying illegals slave wages, but I also think that 11 million undocumented immigrants is a sizable percentage of the US population and that it will hurt us economically if we decide to remove them all. Better to make pathways to citizenship, especially for low skilled workers who would otherwise not qualify via our immigration process.

I don't think we should just take everyone and balancing immigration with economic growth is a delicate balance, we will see what happens under the Trump administration.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, I am of the opinion that free trade has had a net positive impact on all economies and the US as a national entity still has the worlds largest GDP (gross). Obviously some states produce more than others. Tariffs can help protect infant industries but the industries that Trump is talking about bolstering are not infant industries.

I don't support paying illegals slave wages, but I also think that 11 million undocumented immigrants is a sizable percentage of the US population and that it will hurt us economically if we decide to remove them all. Better to make pathways to citizenship, especially for low skilled workers who would otherwise not qualify via our immigration process.

I don't think we should just take everyone and balancing immigration with economic growth is a delicate balance, we will see what happens under the Trump administration.
    Yeah, people seem to forget that simply "removing" illegal immigrants removes a huge amount of economic momentum. States that implemented harsh anti illegal immigrant laws actually had to repeal said laws, because when the immigrants left, local economies crashed and small Podunk towns actually realized that they relied on the business of these people to stay afloat.

Path to citizenship, go.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Who do you think cuts the lumber?
    hopefully americans, who wont work for pennies