Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    Is that 1.6% number the one that they get by a: adding in all the papers that were left out because they didn't express an opinion so they wouldn't have been relevant (Such as papers to do with, say, some specific ice core sample that has nothing to do with current warming so there'd be absolutely no reason to express an opinion) and then ignoring the "implicitly endorses" category because if you include that, you get a bigger number and bigger numbers imply that lots of scientists believe man is responsible for warming, and that would go against the anti-AGW crowd?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion

I suppose you could call science a "set of beliefs" but these beliefs are backed up by observable, testable evidence so that's a bit of a stretch. Some areas of science, particularly cosmology, do concern the cause of the universe, but not the nature or the purpose of it. Science says nothing about superhuman agencies, and doesn't involve devotional or ritual observances and has no moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. So started out on a good note but fell flat on the rest.
    All you just did was further support it being defined by religion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Care to give a few examples and explain why they apply?

Because I explained above that the "dogma" is subject to revision, and has been multiple times. And when you strip that away, what you're left with has to be stretched pretty darn far to call it religion.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, modern cosmology is silent on this just as evolution is silent on abiogenesis. The equations of physics blow up if you try and go to t = 0 (cosmological time), which is a fancy way of saying that the equations do not explain what happened at t = 0 or why. Basically, given initial conditions, cosmology tells you how the rest of it unfolds. But where did those initial conditions come from? No friggin clue.
    Subject to revision doesn't make it any less a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Call me when the 10 commandments, or Jesus' divinity are up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Subject to revision means in principle any hypothesis is subject to falsifiability through empiricism. Religious belief is by definition unfalsifiable.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Just saying "yeah... well... nyeh nyeh you're wrong!" does not actually make you right.

So go on. Where does science talk about the nature and purpose of the universe? Which superhuman agencies does science teach about? What moral code does science say humans should live by? Which devotional and ritual observances does science have?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Fun fact: Science isn't a single person.

If it was, we'd call it religion
    Or absurd politics

Amazing to watch these comments completely go off-topic to derail the fact scientists were caught (yet again) manipulating the climate change data. People will do anything to ignore the truth of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    alright, and...?
    Hand waving. Nothing to see here folks. Did I do it right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Subject to revision means in principle any hypothesis is subject to falsifiability through empiricism. Religious belief is by definition unfalsifiable.
    Looks like someone downloaded a thesaurus app! Still doesn't make your argument any more intelligent.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    yes because leaving it open for a response is clearly a dismissal. well, around here it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox news is fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Reported by Daily Mail, the National Review and Fox News so far.

Let's wait for some real news to come in before rushing to judgement.
    All mainstream news is fake trash designed to push a specific narrative

The elites used to tell the non-critical thinking masses, which you seem to be apart of, "god made me elite and you a pleb so do as I say or you are damned to hell"

Now they tell you "your first world lifestyle is killing the planet despite no concrete evidence proving it, so be poor and watch your carbon emissions while I fly jumbo jets and air condition 5 houses"

Seriously, wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Again with the climate change threads? ... How long does this need to remain a debate?

Maybe we should also start other threads to keep the debate alive:
    Is smoking really bad for our health?
    Should women have the right to vote?
    In some countries women don't have that right. A lot of people don't have many basic "rights". Yet, here we are worrying about ours being taken away instead of helping them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Fox news is fake news.
    So is CNN. And most mainstream media sources for that fact. People really shouldn't trust ANY mainstream news source 100%. Sadly, it has come to this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    In some countries women don't have that right. A lot of people don't have many basic "rights". Yet, here we are worrying about ours being taken away instead of helping them.

- - - Updated - - -

So is CNN. And most mainstream media sources for that fact. People really shouldn't trust ANY mainstream news source 100%. Sadly, it has come to this point.
    The larger teh network, the "faker" it gets. You won't get any disagreement with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    Conspiracy theory thread?
    If this was conspiracy theory, half the things some of the mods here say would fall under that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

That is worthy of a sig tag line - well done!

And I agree, that's why scientists use collaboration and peer review.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like someone downloaded a thesaurus app! Still doesn't make your argument any more intelligent.
    I havent really made an argument as far as im aware. You seem to be rather upset however. Do you require a safe space?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Amazing to watch these comments completely go off-topic to derail the fact scientists were caught (yet again) manipulating the climate change data. People will do anything to ignore the truth of what's going on.
    No, it's just the claim that scientists were "manipulating" climate change data was debunked on the first page, so we're kinda out of things to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Call me when the 10 commandments, or Jesus' divinity are up for debate.
    Doesn't change science is a religion. They will never be up for debate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    No its not.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saying "yeah... well... nyeh nyeh you're wrong!" does not actually make you right.

So go on. Where does science talk about the nature and purpose of the universe? Which superhuman agencies does science teach about? What moral code does science say humans should live by? Which devotional and ritual observances does science have?
    Actually, it does make me right, but that hasn't been said anywhere regardless.

[Infracted]

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it's just the claim that scientists were "manipulating" climate change data was debunked on the first page, so we're kinda out of things to talk about.
    It's not going to get through to them.

These are the same people that thought climategate was a legitimate thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't change science is a religion. They will never be up for debate.
    We're still testing the nature of gravity and many other unanimously accepted scientific theories. "Trust, but verify" is a scientific concept. "Believe and have absolute faith in what I say" is religious.

You don't have to believe anyone who tells you human driven climate change is real. The material is out there. The real stuff, not fake breitbart trash. There's literally mountains of evidence where you can truly sate your "Questioning" of climate change. I won't ever demand that you believe me. I'll just demand that you research to reach your conclusion, and use real science.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

If you want the US to lead by example on climate change, do you then subscribe to the fact that the US is your leader? If the US isn't your leader, then who are they leading by example? Finally, would sticking strictly to the Paris climate accords accomplish anything when it comes to the actual climate?

Here's my thoughts. The climate situation, including all the really short sighted "challenges" we face is an unsustainable situation. There is no feasible way to prevent catastrophic climate change by simply cutting emissions yesterday.

Instead, we should take the money that we were going to spend on cutting emissions and invest them in a project of geo-engineering. This will be the way everyone thinks in 20 years.

What is Geo-Engineering? Simple, the deliberate large-scale manipulation of an environmental process that affects the earth's climate, in an attempt to counteract the effects of global warming.

So why don't we invest in geo-engineering right now? That my friends, is the "right" question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

I see wot u did there.