10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    stuff
    )
    If this years cell phone was objectively weaker than a much older cell phone but still charging much more then I'd understand your point.

The technology in the switch is not going to be some revolutionary new tech, its a tablet with tablet technology charging £80 more with no games going against a more powerful system. It's overpriced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You don't need to buy anything that isn't unusual for a normal console.
    Well, I've never bought a screen cover for my console .

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    If this years cell phone was objectively weaker than a much older cell phone but still charging much more then I'd understand your point.

The technology in the switch is not going to be some revolutionary new tech, its a tablet with tablet technology charging £80 more with no games going against a more powerful system. It's overpriced.
    it's on-par with the price of other ''gaming tablets'' E.G the shield k1 which is 200USD tablet only, then you'd need the controller @ 60,then a charger because the shit doesnt pack with one - another 20usd.
    then you'd probably want a cover/stand combination, another 20 (optional tho), maybe even a screencover (add 10).
    add something so it can connect to a TV (10usd for a decent hdmi, 30 for a chromecast)
    then you need games on top of that, or the Geforcenow subcription if you want to play anything else than android game, which is 8quid a month.

the switch is 80usd more than a 4 year old console, and there is no substance to the claim that it is weaker till the day we have a confirmation on the internals.
    till then it's all speculation.
    and if it's true that it's a Tegra pascal chip, then it's capable of running quite a lot and be competetive with the Xbone, maybe even the ps4.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-02-08 at 08:59 PM.

there is no substance to the claim that it is weaker till the day we have a confirmation on the internals.
    We don't need confirmation that its weaker. We are already seeing massive downgrades in ports (Dragon Quest Heroes).

Its not hard to figure out how powerful The Switch is with all the info that is already out there.

Its a highly impressive tablet, Its a highly underwhelming Console.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Its a highly impressive tablet, Its a highly underwhelming Console.
    Portable tax have sadly always been a thing in the gaming world, but considering it's a hybrid which is a concept that haven't been toyed around with all that much throughout gaming history, then it's an impressive device as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear...I

Btw I'm taking pounds not dollars.

It'll be weaker, stop grasping.

then it's an impressive device as a whole.
    That's a matter of opinion, Ill mostly use it as a home console so in that regard its meh. Even more so since ill need to use a smart phone app to use parts of it.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll be weaker, stop grasping.
    Ya I don't get why people keep trying to argue this.

The Switch is in fact weaker then the Ps4 and XB1 by a massive amount. Its not surprising since its a tablet. Its a impressive tablet but a underwhelming home console.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Well, I've never bought a screen cover for my console .
    Fair, but that's among the cheaper things that people are agitated about.

It's about as needed as a handheld system cover though.

That's a matter of opinion, Ill mostly use it as a home console so in that regard its meh. Even more so since ill need to use a smart phone app to use parts of it.
    very true.
    i live a fairly nomadic life, so having that level of gaming on the go without wifi required with the possibility of hooking it up to the television when i'm home is exactly what i have been waiting for, for quite some time.
    while gaming laptops are great, then they still require a bit of space to use properly (and the portable tax on PC's are insane).

10+ Year Old Account
    what do you NEED to buy, other than games? absolutely nothing. if you want full-controller multiplayer, then sure you can buy another controller but you dont have to.
    i admit that the pricepoint for a new pair of joycons or pro controller is steep, but it got more features build in than the other controllers.

the launch lineup is a lackluster, but there's some solid games, and game releases are going to go out steady throughout 2017, with 100+ games currently officially announced (some of those are set for early '18 though).
    You don't need to buy anything that isn't unusual for a normal console.
    32GB hard drive says high! How the fuck am I suppose to install games - whether through patches or Digital downloads - with a lousy 32GB? So there is the first expense. Probably the biggest joke I have heard yet in 2017 - and we got Trump for president! But I guess it doesn't matter anyways ... 32GB is a ton of space for a system without any games.

Also need to get a pro controller as well. Not to mention any other charger accessories that might be required.

And I won't buy a system in the hopes that there WILL be games int he future. Until I see a Switch Zelda and a Metroid Game, it won't happen. I guess those rabid Nintendo fan boys will still eat it up. A fool and his money...

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    32GB hard drive says high! How the fuck am I suppose to install games - whether through patches or Digital downloads - with a lousy 32GB? So there is the first expense. Probably the biggest joke I have heard yet in 2017 - and we got Trump for president! But I guess it doesn't matter anyways ... 32GB is a ton of space for a system without any games.

Also need to get a pro controller as well. Not to mention any other charger accessories that might be required.
    32gb won't be enough if you solely rely on digital downloads, that's true.
    but when there's physical cartridges available, which doesn't install the games at the same price as he digital version, then you might as well get the cartirdge as it take zero space on your console and have a resale value incase you decide that the game is not worth it.

you dont need the pro-controller, that's a personal preference.
    people at the showcases and PAX have said that the grip could fully replace a normal controller.
    no charger accessories is required either as your joycons charge when plugged in to your switch (and the charging grip doesn't have a internal battery, only a USB-C connection so you can charge while sitting at a power source).

also if you bought the 500gb ps4 back in the days, then you're screwed no matter what because games take up 40gb a pop before updates and you can't install more drives or externals (though i heard that the upcoming firmware update allows the use of externals harddrives) so you have relatively little space compared to the size of those games.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-02-08 at 09:46 PM.

also if you bought the 500gb ps4 back in the days, then you're screwed no matter what because games take up 40gb a pop before updates and you can't install more drives or externals (though i heard that the upcoming firmware update allows the use of externals harddrives) so you have relatively little space compared to the size of those games.
    Not true, you could replace the HD with another one that was up to 2TB of storage and it did not void the warranty. As long as it was a 2.5 inch or smaller HD it would work just fine.

Even soon after release u could get a dock and grab a 3.5 inch HD if u wanted.

Not true, you could replace the HD with another one that was up to 2TB of storage and it did not void the warranty. As long as it was a 2.5 inch or smaller HD it would work just fine.

Even soon after release u could get a dock and grab a 3.5 inch HD if u wanted.
    That i did not know.
    the local gamestore explained that you couldn't install additional harddrives in it.
    admittedly , i'm not an avid PS4 user, i just boot it up and play whatever games i got there.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-02-08 at 09:55 PM.

The games are a lot smaller for the most part than PS4/Xbone games.
    But yet again, I said you don't NEED to. If you choose to go straight up digital games, that's an extra cost on you. Does it suck? Sure. But you could easily just get physical games and not have to worry about that. (Which I would advise anyway, because Nintendo's eshops are silly, and physical Nintendo games tend to retain value)

You don't need a pro controller, the system comes with the connector that makes the two JoyCons into one controller. Not sure what charger accessories you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    The games are a lot smaller for the most part than PS4/Xbone games.
    But yet again, I said you don't NEED to. If you choose to go straight up digital games, that's an extra cost on you. Does it suck? Sure. But you could easily just get physical games and not have to worry about that. (Which I would advise anyway, because Nintendo's eshops are silly, and physical Nintendo games tend to retain value)

You don't need a pro controller, the system comes with the connector that makes the two JoyCons into one controller. Not sure what charger accessories you mean.
    Or it could have a bigger HD because you know it is 2016 and not 2006! What more stupid decisions could I expect from Nintendo? That is why I am very hestitant on buying one anytime soon. Perhaps I am still feeling the sting from getting a Wii U.

And yes I play on pro controllers because it is what I am use too. Can't do the WII U without one. So there is additional 70 bucks.

Or it could have a bigger HD because you know it is 2016 and not 2006! What more stupid decisions could I expect from Nintendo? That is why I am very hestitant on buying one anytime soon. Perhaps I am still feeling the sting from getting a Wii U.

And yes I play on pro controllers because it is what I am use too. Can't do the WII U without one. So there is additional 70 bucks.
    how much is he Nvidia shield? 16gb? how much space do other tablets have? 16-32gb? how much does a standard consumer tablet cost with 64gb or 128gb storage? quite a lot.
    the storage on the switch is standard tablet sizes, and it is kept at that level because the cost of flash based memory is still close to 10x the price of a HDD respectively 0.4usd per gigabyte for flash memory and 0.03usd per gigabyte of disc based memory.
    it keeps the price down.

The controller issue is all on you, it is not a hidden required cost in order to utilize the switch properly. it's like claiming that automatic transmission in a car is a requirement to drive it because you never bothered to use manual and refuse to learn it as well.
    that's simply because YOU can't/wont adapt. the grip have the same layout as a traditional controller, but crammed a bit more together, that's it.

That i did not know.
    the local gamestore explained that you couldn't install additional harddrives in it.
    admittedly , i'm not an avid PS4 user, i just boot it up and play whatever games i got there.
    Ya all u had to do was download the current firmware from playstation and install it once you put the HD in. The XboxOne couldn't (and still can't) replace HD's since you would have to crack the system open and that voids the warranty.

10+ Year Old Account
    how much is he Nvidia shield? 16gb? how much space do other tablets have? 16-32gb? how much does a standard consumer tablet cost with 64gb or 128gb storage? quite a lot.
    the storage on the switch is standard tablet sizes, and it is kept at that level because the cost of flash based memory is still close to 10x the price of a HDD respectively 0.4usd per gigabyte for flash memory and 0.03usd per gigabyte of disc based memory.
    it keeps the price down.

The controller issue is all on you, it is not a hidden required cost in order to utilize the switch properly. it's like claiming that automatic transmission in a car is a requirement to drive it because you never bothered to use manual and refuse to learn it as well.
    that's simply because YOU can't/wont adapt. the grip have the same layout as a traditional controller, but crammed a bit more together, that's it.
    And tablets are a waste of money for the msot part. What do you do on a tablet? Check email? Maybe play some app games which are not that heavy on the space as ... modern video games!?

Also the controller seems to be like a gimmick that most adult Nintendo players want nothing to do with. Will that controller work? Possibly, but given the track record of Nintendo, most likely have to buy the Pro. There hasn't been a decent controller that came with the system since the Game cube.

And tablets are a waste of money for the msot part. What do you do on a tablet? Check email? Maybe play some app games which are not that heavy on the space as ... modern video games!?

Also the controller seems to be like a gimmick that most adult Nintendo players want nothing to do with. Will that controller work? Possibly, but given the track record of Nintendo, most likely have to buy the Pro. There hasn't been a decent controller that came with the system since the Game cube.
    The joy cons when attached to the grip feel identical to the pro controller. The only difference is the d pad is shit. Not many games today actually require a D Pad however. There is little reason to buy the pro controller over using the joy cons in a grip unless you're going to be playing Street Fighter or Super Meat Boy type games which actually need a good d pad.

Possible retail release of 1001 Spikes for the Switch?

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/829445975806611456

tablets have tonnes of uses, professionally as well as on a private consumer level.
    i have used them as a platform to work with GIS/GPS mapping and registration in field work as well for informationfeeds coming from winged drones that's fielding multi-spec sensors.

the Nvidia shield tablet (as well as TV shield) can run ps4 games at 1080p60 through the Geforcenow service.

The joycon in the grip is nothing but a controller, it contains exactly the same hardware and features that the pro controller do, with the shape and D-pad as the only difference.
    people that have been to the switch events and PAX have stated that the grip setup is just as comfortable as the pro controller, and the only reason to upgrade was for the D-pad if you're in to platformers, or simply just for a familiar controller shape.
    the only thing that could be considered ''gimmicky'' is some of the alternative uses for the joycons such as the wii-esque motion controls.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-02-08 at 11:48 PM.