Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    What would they add to the dps meta then?
    Tank and healers are a little more unique in design than DPS in FF14. I mean apart from MoP and WoD tanks in WoW, traditional MMO tanks don't care about damage. Healers in FF also function very uniquely, though not completely unheard of Age of Reckoning also had healers with very offensive capabilities. Damage on the other hand don't really have any innovations, Damage is the most traditional MMO role in FF14 the only thing that really sets them apart are ways they go about their priority. Before level 30 all the damn Melee and the tanks feel pretty much the same with MNK feeling like the only true exception. I mean later combo stings change in slight ways, and the amount of DOTs and maintenance buffs/debuffs differ from class to class. However the unique class feels seem to really come from the 30+ skills.

With that said, if SAM was a traditional Melee DPS:

They could easily go the duel wield Samurai route, perhaps have the ability to do two combo lines at the same time that merge together as a finisher 1,2+3,4 lights up ability 5 1,6+3,7 lights up ability 8. So main hand combo line, off hand combo line, finisher together with both swords.

The Stances as I stated before and then adding something else to give them their own unique twist.

Both of these -could- be achieved as Tanks. I personally would like to see a true counter part to the added RDM, the caster that dashes into Melee being introduced with a Melee that dashes out into ranged. As I stated in another thread on this subject a Gunblade SAM could easily accomplish this, this could also match the design intent of AST and DRK, who each represent a midway counterpart of WAR/PLD and WHM/SCH prospectively.

Looking at this a little deeper our current Job spread is as follows:

Tanks:3
    WAR
    PLD
    DRK

Melee:3
    NIN
    DRG
    MNK

Ranged:2
    BRD
    MCH

Caster:2(3*)
    SHM
    BLM
    RDM(*)

Healers:3
    WHM
    SCH
    AST

It almost feels assuming we're going to keep the Tank, Ranged, Caster, Melee mold that the next classes added in Storm blood would be a Ranged fighter, however all information leads we have suggest SAM at this point, and we all know they're going to do the 17th century SAM class fantasy and not the 10th century could very easily be a ranged class.

However, if we view the classes in more of a ranged vs Melee vacuum.

Tanks:3
    WAR
    PLD
    DRK

Melee:3
    NIN
    DRG
    MNK

Hybrid: (1*)
    RDM(*)

Ranged:4
    BRD
    MCH
    SHM
    BLM

Healers:3
    WHM
    SCH
    AST

Now if we broke up the classes this way, SAM could make the Melee to ranged ratio 1:1 This is of course ignoring the fanfest information that RDM will be considered a caster. Which I also feel like RDM will be more caster than Melee...

Meh, at the end of the day we could speculate talk about balance of class roles, and identity and none of it amounts to shit because all of those above stated things can be changed by the creator.

I mean if I had my way I'd change the current Meta and Class feel/function as little as possible.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-02-08 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    I will be genuinely shocked if SAM is a tank, balance between the three is already a cluster fuck, chances are adding a fourth into the mix would only destabilize it more rather than fix the issues.

Some how though, I expect them to work off the stance system MNKs use rather than traditional combos if they're a DPS.
    Honestly i dont see them adding two sword using dps as the only new jobs at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Honestly i dont see them adding two sword using dps as the only new jobs at the same time.
    I'm really starting to feel everything from the Spiderman shirt to the Data files have all been misleading troll information.
    I AM the victim.

Well SAM has been used before for something like 'sample job placeholder data' back when they were testing NIN which is why a lot of sites were going 'holy shit calm down its not confirmed' when dataminers found it.

I'm really starting to feel everything from the Spiderman shirt to the Data files have all been misleading troll information.

The files could be fake/what Dope Danny said.

Spiderman could be a number of things. Going just from the shirt I would think blue mage. But I don't see them doing red and blue mage in the same expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incoming Beast Master out of left field, but they give them a super long whip so they dps like a BRD/MCH.

Spiderman could be a number of things. Going just from the shirt I would think blue mage. But I don't see them doing red and blue mage in the same expansion.

Agreed on both accounts.
    I AM the victim.

Astrologian was an odd job to pic so we could always get something unexpected. Though part of that was probably FF not having much in terms of dedicated healers outside of white mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one hope the data mining turns out to be a grand troll on data miners(permanently casting doubt on mined data)

Though to the earlier comment of a melee going ranged to counter the rdm then in that case I say a Blu or a magic Knight could do melee aa a focus swapping to ranged spells though I would want Mystic Knight as a tank using elemental magic to supplant melee. Could be distinct from DRK thematically by being more neutral magic wise. Maybe have them focus on more damage then defense like DRK has more defensive skills then war. possibly modelled off of the enh shaman with procs granting free casts

Also another thing to remember their is more to consider then meta in the sense of themes and styles.

For instance a DRK uses fury and rage(ironically meant to be righteous fury not emo fury) while a magic Knight could be about protecting the balance of aether in the world or fighting with the blessing of the elementals while channeling the void(allowing earth water and lightning) maybe an entirely new style even.

Then their are rube fencers abd rdm both could be more agile casters but one more focused on melee the other on ranged.

Quite frankly I do wish they had not abandoned base classes. Would enable alot more jobs more easily with say a Rapier using class(duelist?) becoming a RDM ir a rube fencer a greatsword wielding class(swordmster?) become DRK abd Sam maybe magic Knight(gladiator would also work for magic Knight is they got a spell crystal or catalyst for offhand) and so on. Hell a gun base class could become MCH and corsair(or be corsair to start with)

It lent itself to ALOT of variety at this point I do wonder about different weapon types permitting more classes bar subcategories going crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, Stormblood already has the big RDM announcement, a Job many people have been begging for since launch. I mean SAM is a heavily requested Job as well, but that's two fan favorites in one expansion destroying a lot of Job hype for the Othard expansion which I'm positive we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Quite frankly I do wish they had not abandoned base classes. Would enable alot more jobs more easily with say a Rapier using class(duelist?) becoming a RDM ir a rube fencer a greatsword wielding class(swordmster?) become DRK abd Sam maybe magic Knight(gladiator would also work for magic Knight is they got a spell crystal or catalyst for offhand) and so on. Hell a gun base class could become MCH and corsair(or be corsair to start with)

It lent itself to ALOT of variety at this point I do wonder about different weapon types permitting more classes bar subcategories going crazy.
    I think you and I are both in the minority that actually liked the Class----Job system.

I like it both for the doors it opens up and the sense of progression it offered.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-02-08 at 11:32 PM.
    I AM the victim.

I don't know it would feel weird to me to put in twonjobs that both swap in and out of melee range just for the sake of having something with a similar gimick to red mage.

Was excited about Red Mages coming to ffxiv. But then I remember that I get caught with a 300ms ping to the US servers. Whilst it's not that bad here in Texas at present it will be once I return to Australia in a few months.

i have a strong feeling SAM will be a dps and there won't be a tank or healer added in 4.0.

no melee are able to share left side gear. no new melee class since ninja during ARR. tank balance is terrible atm and paladin's need a lot of work. healer balance also pretty bad since they made AST so OP. and they have yet to add a different 2h melee to the game besides drg.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i have a strong feeling SAM will be a dps and there won't be a tank or healer added in 4.0.

no melee are able to share left side gear. no new melee class since ninja during ARR. tank balance is terrible atm and paladin's need a lot of work. healer balance also pretty bad since they made AST so OP.
    Possibly. They plan to fix the Tank/healer thing with new abilities from what I hear so they may not be worried about that.

I think they could, from the trailer onwards red and blue has been a theme and i could see a 'red oni blue oni' brand of thinking behind RDM and BLU dropping but being completely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tank balance is a mess for the same reason I adore tanking in this game. With such a large focus on damage output it really puts the Paladin at a disadvantage to the more offensively balanced DRK and WAR.

The Idea.

Sturdiest----PLD--------------DRK-------------WAR----Offensive

NOW I know in practice that does not even work, I won't get into the fine details, when your focus is on damage as a tank after you have survival down it really lends to the two more offensive tanks to be favorable over the sturdy Paladin. Buff Paladin damage and then they could have the damage output of one of the other two but have more survibalility and vise versa.

I mean the balance could be much worse but it's not an easy issue to fix.

I don't know shit about healers though.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-02-09 at 12:01 AM.
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I think they could, from the trailer onwards red and blue has been a theme and i could see a 'red oni blue oni' brand of thinking behind RDM and BLU dropping but being completely different.
    Possibly. But I would think they would want more variety in the jobs rather than two color mages. And red and blue mages have never had a duality thing like white and black.

Though they could share a new gear category if added together. If they're both dps at least.

Possibly. But I would think they would want more variety in the jobs rather than two color mages. And red and blue mages have never had a duality thing like white and black.

Though they could share a new gear category if added together. If they're both dps at least.
    So far the only things I see supporting BLU outside of spiderman getting his powers from being bit by a spider (like how a blue mage absorbs monster powers), Raubahn of the Immortal flames used 'skills' in the grand melee against you that didn't fit in with a class we are aware of (neither did Ilbred, really).

Raubahn also shares the name of the FFXI leader of the Blue Mages who were "The Immortals". While speculative, outside of martial arts we are unaware of the culture of Ala Mhigo. So an Arabic themed Blue Mage (like FFXI) can fit in, using scimitars or cutlasses

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    So far the only things I see supporting BLU outside of spiderman getting his powers from being bit by a spider (like how a blue mage absorbs monster powers), Raubahn of the Immortal flames used 'skills' in the grand melee against you that didn't fit in with a class we are aware of (neither did Ilbred, really).

Raubahn also shares the name of the FFXI leader of the Blue Mages who were "The Immortals". While speculative, outside of martial arts we are unaware of the culture of Ala Mhigo. So an Arabic themed Blue Mage (like FFXI) can fit in, using scimitars or cutlasses
    Yeah, a possibility. Though giving them another sword? Wouldn't that be a bit odd, two hybrid mages with swords in one expansion? As for Raubahn I think those skills were more for 'rule of cool' and to make the fight interesting than hinting at a job. But who knows, we'll just have to wait. From what we know of Ala Mhigo though I don't htink it has much arabian influence, that would be more Thavnairia.

Sure sam would also be another sword using class, but would also contrast much more with red mage than blue mage in other ways.
    Last edited by Florena; 2017-02-09 at 04:04 AM.

Anyone else that will be disappointed if SAM is not announced for 4.0? I personally will even if I won't main it.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Anyone else that will be disappointed if SAM is not announced for 4.0? I personally will even if I won't main it.
    Not me since I'm already getting the job I wanted. Plus better chance of it being dps if it comes in a later expansion when we head to Doma/Othard etc where as I'd guess tank in sb.