Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Interstellar was a bad film designed to make dumb people feel smart. So much woo.
    Far as I've heard, it's mostly accurate when you consider how accurate you can get with the highly theoretical material they work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Far as I've heard, it's mostly accurate when you consider how accurate you can get with the highly theoretical material they work with.
    IMO, the movie was great in the middle and the ending, while a mess, took a great stab at visually representing four dimensional space, something incomprehensible to the human mind. I couldn't stand the first act though, and overall it was a deeply flawed movie.

Also it pushes the boundary dividing homage from plagiarism, re: 2001.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Not at all. Too many religious overtones and bullshit about "the universal power of love". It's a feel good theology flick disguised as shoddy science.
    Religious overtones? Haw haw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IMO, the movie was great in the middle and the ending, while a mess, took a great stab at visually representing four dimensional space, something incomprehensible to the human mind. I couldn't stand the first act though, and overall it was a deeply flawed movie.

Also it pushes the boundary dividing homage from plagiarism, re: 2001.
    I don't find them all that similar, but YMMW I suppose.

Not at all. Too many religious overtones and bullshit about "the universal power of love". It's a feel good theology flick disguised as shoddy science.
    I find this interesting. What was shoddy about the science? As far as I can tell the movie represented science as well as we know it. The time dilation might have been reaching a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post

Probably one of the movies I never get tired of, and the soundtrack is awesome
    This one and Tremors would both be contenders for my top spot.

Saving Private Ryan
    The Departed
    Bourne 1-3
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted

7+ Year Old Account

I usually don't watch same movie twice, but this one I saw four times.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Interstellar was a bad film designed to make dumb people feel smart. So much woo.
    Thanks for being a positive contributor.

By far :

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I find this interesting. What was shoddy about the science? As far as I can tell the movie represented science as well as we know it. The time dilation might have been reaching a bit.
    It represented science as we currently understand it (the Nolans consulted theoretical physicists on the script - gonna go ahead and believe them over you). The haters above are seeing things that aren't there @Lobosan) and there were NO religious undertones, lol - did you actually see it (@Mormolyce)? What do you mean flawed? And at this point I don't think you know what plagiarism means (@Mormolyce again).

It's ok if @Lobosan you don't understand the movie - no need to hate on things that are confusing to you. Just ask and we'll explain them.

It was a spectacular piece of filmography crafted by one of the greatest combinations of minds in the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It represented science as we currently understand it
    Well, no. It really didn't Neil deGrasse Tyson's summary was 'the science was ambitious'

They went for visuals over substance - and it worked, it was a visually stunning movie with a shallow and lame repetition of the same old story underneath.

Arrival - now there is a movie that tries to make the science forefront ... and pretty much suceeds.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-02-08 at 06:12 PM.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well, no. It really didn't Neil deGrasse Tyson's summary was 'the science was ambitious'
    Yes, it did. The science might have been "ambitious" but it was also as accurate as we understand it currently. Not sure why you want to fight this - they are the ones who consulted with physicists when writing the script.

They went for visuals over substance - and it worked, it was a visually stunning movie with a shallow and lame repetition of the same old story underneath.
    Again, no, they didn't. They went for both and achieved it fantastically. If you didn't like it, that's fine, but don't make things up to justify your opinion.

Here is the interview with Kip Thorne, the astrophysicist who wrote the original treatment for the film: Link

Arrival - now there is a movie that tries to make the science forefront ... and pretty much suceeds.
    I've still got to see this - I hope I haven't put it off too long. Heard only great things about it.

Again, no, they didn't.
    When you check out the movie you will see that they went for style, visuals and pretty stuff over science - I'll go with NDGT any day on that one. "Ambitious science"...

When you check out the movie you will see that they went for style, visuals and pretty stuff over science - I'll go with NDGT any day on that one. "Ambitious science"...
    NDGT was very positive about the movie, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    NDGT was very positive about the movie, FYI.
    As was I - thought it was an awesome movie, however that was because it looked so great. IT even used some IRL science modelling to create the visuals. All impressive stuff.

It was just the underlying story didn't really science things too much.

Here is the interview with Kip Thorne, the astrophysicist who wrote the original treatment for the film: Link
    So the "scene that made him cringe" (/clickbait) wasn't... the one where Anne Hathaway's character insists that love is a physical force?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens. I could watch that movie on repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I would say that inception is definitely one of the best movies, got that right combo of action, plotline (even if there are a few contradictions) and sass.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And I'll go with Kip Thorne - the real astrophysicist. And they certainly did go for visuals and style as well as accuracy - they (the Nolan brothers) are literally the whole package. You don't have to give up one to achieve the other - especially if you are talented.

Remember, Neil didn't say it was wrong, he just said it was ambitious.

Look, I get that some people didn't like the movie - and that's fine if you didn't. There are a couple of movies out there that most people like/love that I didn't - and it's no biggie. Just don't inaccurately bag on the movie to justify your dislike. That's all I'm asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So the "scene that made him cringe" (/clickbait) wasn't... the one where Anne Hathaway's character insists that love is a physical force?
    Lol, yeah - I have to admit that wasn't the best scene in the film, but it was a consistent theme in the movie, and it added to the entire film. Love was a theme in the movie - multiple characters were motivated by it.

Dammit - why did you go and get banned - I want to discuss this! Come back!