Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Frankly I hope they just add flying as they always did in previous expansions rather than these account wide achievement grinds in future.

Its prooven to the people that like flying (which is evidently NOT a minority given how many people have hype for 7.2 purely BECAUSE they can fly in Legion) that Flying is a pivotal part of wow's lifestyle.

People bitch that no flying is more immersive and better but frankly the game had flying and sky cities and space cities long before they tried cutting it back. Honestly, all it does is hold back the game.

Blizzard has failed to capitalise on flying as a form of immersion, gating certain end game content behind requiring you to fly, instead of having no flying at all.

Maybe in future we can have some mountainous regions too high for any boost to reach, requiring you to fly to get to them, and equally have areas where you can *only* fly to a certain point before being forcefully grounded like an Aa tower shooting you out of the sky.

Or, maybe theres flying islands that literally are where the raids/end game zone is requiring you to fly to reach it.

Frankly, it would be better for the game if it had flying, because it would be relevent again if they actually focused on making it immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Maybe in future we can have some mountainous regions too high for any boost to reach, requiring you to fly to get to them, and equally have areas where you can *only* fly to a certain point before being forcefully grounded like an Aa tower shooting you out of the sky.

Or, maybe theres flying islands that literally are where the raids/end game zone is requiring you to fly to reach it.

Frankly, it would be better for the game if it had flying, because it would be relevent again if they actually focused on making it immersive.
    Blades Edge, Tempest keep.

It didnt work before, its not going to work this time. Designing zones solely around flying is a mistake they already admit at Blizzcon 2015.

Glad you are up to date.

I miss flying, it definitely makes things more convenient

Playing the game is not grinding reputations. That is just silly timesink to leach our money. I haven't paid them a cent for the last 3 years over this and am increasingly happier about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Playing the game is not grinding reputations. That is just silly timesink to leach our money. I haven't paid them a cent for the last 3 years over this and am increasingly happier about that.
    Still playing the game and I wont pay for the game for the next 1-2 years at least. Just tokens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Obviously they want to keep people playing, they are there to make money, HOWEVER with as fast as people blow through content in 1 month time they would lose their money and the game wouldn't be worth investing money into..........use your brain.
    They just need to encourage playing alts more, problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Here's your daily reminder that the "arbitrary" time-gates are indeed put in place for the benefit of the players. People want to have a reason to continue subscribing for months, the biggest complaints about WoD were about running out of things to do too quick. Without the time-gating Blizz would have to put in content that caters for the higher end of "hardcore" players who want to put in many, many hours so the more casual side would struggle to get anything done.

Also I'd better explain (again) that the travel system is a separate matter. If Blizz wanted they could allow you to fly and tweak the rewards or requirements for quests so you end up spending the exact same amount of time in the game. Don't forget that MoP allowed you to fly at the level cap and people complained about the amount of daily content, whereas WoD had not flying until quite late on and people complained about running out of things to do.

Finally, Blizz have a taxi system of flightpaths rather than teleports with loading screens because it gives a better impression of a large open world, personally I'd be much happier if more RPGs adopted that system rather than the waypoints etc. that literally take you out of the game world.
    Encourage playing alts then. Nothing beats an alt in terms of content replayability, and with creating class-specific content, you even have more reasons to play alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Erm, that is why flying is account wide when you get it, but I mean it seems the biggest complaint it people actually have to PLAY THE GAME to get flying.
    No, the biggest complaint is that we play the game to get flying, but don't get it for playing, but only after waiting for months. I should have flying by now, I have done my Pathfinger long ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Same, having fun with this expansion as it is. I do not feel any need for flying at all. We have so many means of transportation.
    Tell that to my guild, where 60% don't play anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Frankly I hope they just add flying as they always did in previous expansions rather than these account wide achievement grinds in future.

Its prooven to the people that like flying (which is evidently NOT a minority given how many people have hype for 7.2 purely BECAUSE they can fly in Legion) that Flying is a pivotal part of wow's lifestyle.

People bitch that no flying is more immersive and better but frankly the game had flying and sky cities and space cities long before they tried cutting it back. Honestly, all it does is hold back the game.

Blizzard has failed to capitalise on flying as a form of immersion, gating certain end game content behind requiring you to fly, instead of having no flying at all.

We already had that in past expansions and it had worked out well. Blizzard constantly breaks the rule of "never change a running system" because they feel some kind of compulsion to tweak with their game, which is so often not necessary and creates more problems than it solves (class skills / talents, class balance and tuning is the most prominent example).

Who cares? The game is better without flying. Thought all you pro-fly babies had quit the game already, at least that's what you've been saying for ages.

Deleted

It didnt work before, its not going to work this time. Designing zones solely around flying is a mistake they already admit at Blizzcon 2015.

Glad you are up to date.
    How did this not work? I was there, I have played all this. I only knew exactly one player who was not able to reach the TK dungeons because he could not afford the gold to buy basic flying skill (he was a tank and a jewelcrafter, it is beyond me how he could not make some money with gems). We usually had to summon him up to the entrance with a warlock. Besides that, it was not that expensive. I had to work half a year to get my epic riding in Classic, and I had to borrow some gold for my first mount at level 40. But in contrast to that, I could get basic flying skill right away when my characters dinged 70, without any loans. And when I changed mains in the mid of BC (different server, different faction, no character transfers) and build up everything from scratch again, I still did not have any problems in getting flying skill, and some weeks afterward, fast flying skill. I am no AH tycoon, and I surely could make even more money if I would not primarily have the aims of being self-sufficient and supporing friends / guildies.

And the big problems of Cataclysm has been excessive phasing, not flight. I just love how people constantly use flying as a scapegoat while other things have a far stronger effect on the gameplay.

Travel IS NOT gameplay. It's only relevant dimensions are amount of time needed and rate of convenience. The only relevant thing flight has is equalising some things, nothing more. Flight makes the game more of a sandbox than everything else. And this is what Blizzard don't want to happen. They want us to be on rails, so they can calculate our behaviour more precisely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XamFTW View Post
    Who cares? The game is better without flying. Thought all you pro-fly babies had quit the game already, at least that's what you've been saying for ages.
    I have not quit, and I probably earn more than you, kiddo. I don't need some basement dwellers to tell me that a game which wastes my time with pointless distractions and roadblocks to be better. These things are cut out of any other form of entertainment by purpose. WoW is not a simulator, it has magic and strange technology, cutting out flight is bullshit. Flight paths are a totally outdated system, even LOTRO does have a better travel approach and I am not that much of a fan of this game anymore. Platforming is very bad in WoW - just look at GW2 if you need an example of an MMO which does it way better.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-02-09 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I have not quit, and I probably earn more than you, kiddo. I don't need some basement dwellers to tell me that a game which wastes my time with pointless distractions and roadblocks to be better. These things are cut out of any other form of entertainment by purpose. WoW is not a simulator, it has magic and strange technology, cutting out flight is bullshit. Flight paths are a totally outdated system, even LOTRO does have a better travel approach and I am not that much of a fan of this game anymore. Platforming is very bad in WoW - just look at GW2 if you need an example of an MMO which does it way better.
    That right there shows a complete lack of self esteem and personality. Insecurities are eating you alive homie.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    How did this not work? I was there, I have played all this. I only knew exactly one player who was not able to reach the TK dungeons because he could not afford the gold to buy basic flying skill (he was a tank and a jewelcrafter, it is beyond me how he could not make some money with gems). We usually had to summon him up to the entrance with a warlock. Besides that, it was not that expensive. I had to work half a year to get my epic riding in Classic, and I had to borrow some gold for my first mount at level 40. But in contrast to that, I could get basic flying skill right away when my characters dinged 70, without any loans. And when I changed mains in the mid of BC (different server, different faction, no character transfers) and build up everything from scratch again, I still did not have any problems in getting flying skill, and some weeks afterward, fast flying skill. I am no AH tycoon, and I surely could make even more money if I would not primarily have the aims of being self-sufficient and supporing friends / guildies.

And the big problems of Cataclysm has been excessive phasing, not flight. I just love how people constantly use flying as a scapegoat while other things have a far stronger effect on the gameplay.

Travel IS NOT gameplay. It's only relevant dimensions are amount of time needed and rate of convenience. The only relevant thing flight has is equalising some things, nothing more. Flight makes the game more of a sandbox than everything else. And this is what Blizzard don't want to happen. They want us to be on rails, so they can calculate our behaviour more precisely.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to walljump/sprint to get to any normal location. "Platforming" in wow is non-existant. If you mean finding the "hidden" path following the dirt track, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by BurntToast View Post
    Good. Wouldn't care if it doesn't come at all.
    I agree. Flying should never have been allowed in WoW. It's a terrible idea, which has ruined a good part of the community aspect of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get really fucking tired of hearing this refrain of "because I don't like this feature, and don't want to use it.. I command that YOU not be allowed to use it".

Trigger warning: If you don't want to fly.. don't fucking fly. But stop trying to dictate your bullshit on other people. Seriously. It is an indefensible position for you because every argument you can make is entirely subjective.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grab Her By The Pussy View Post
    When the flying patch came out, I had 2 days of gametime left. And I didn't renew my sub at that point
    You should have, flying instantly made WoD a significantly better expansion. It was still the worst but not that much worse than Cata (IMO if it had flying at launch it would have been better than Cata). All of a sudden leftover quests, apexis quests and simple exploration that weren't worth doing beforehand became viable and not to mention the transformation of Tannan from a chore to navigate into one of the most enjoyable zones ever.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? The game is better without flying.
    Not at all. It's an entirely subjective issue. The game may be better for you without flying, but it is better for me with flying. Now for the kicker: If flying makes your game worse, you can solve your problem by choosing not to fly. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to withhold flying from everyone because those who don't like it lack the capacity to simply not use it.

Thought all you pro-fly babies had quit the game already, at least that's what you've been saying for ages.
    Nice ad hominem. The fact that you would use such an attack to try and make your point simply demonstrates how weak your actual argument is.

Anyhow I haven't quit the game because I largely enjoy it. A lack of flying may detract from that enjoyment, but it's not a game breaker, not yet at any rate. Many people who are pro-flying do acknowledge the merit of delaying the advent of flight in new content. I just wish Blizzard would realise the benefits of flying once people are familiar with the world environment instead of constantly villifying it as some dreadful evil that destroys immersion and ruins the game.

Honestly, I find the lengths they have gone to try and compensate for a lack of flying to be ridiculous. I have no real gripe with the Flight Master's Whistle or grappling hooks, but I also don't see that they add any real value to the game, nor how they help to preserve the sense of immersion that flight allegedly breaks.

Sorry, but it is my considered opinion that some devs at Blizzard have got it into their heads that flight ruined WoW and they simply cannot escape that fallacy. And unfortunately as long as there remains a silly but vocal minority of people like you who will constantly re-inforce that opinion, I think they will continue to feel validated in their thinking. The WoD flying debacle actually showed just how massive the pro-flying support is, but instead of hearing the actual demand, they have insisted on trying to answer all the reasons people gave for wanting flying by putting in alternative, vastly inferior, solutions to the problems identified because, as I said, they cannot wrap their heads around the simple truth: Flying is not actually the problem. It never was. It's like trying to make you feel better after losing a loved one by trying to identify all the things you miss about the person and then trying to find substitutes without ever realising that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

So once again, we're in the situation where their decision to withhold flying is starting to hurt the game more than it benefits it. Flying should have been introduced to Broken Isles in 7.1.5, and every day that they delay that move out of their misguided views on flying, the more it will hurt their sub numbers.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2017-02-09 at 10:04 AM.

Glad you are up to date.
    Stormpeaks and Icecrown, both zones made with flying in mind during the most popular era of WoW's history. Some Blue post being made that claims flying was a mistake, during the exact time period that they're pushing hard to justify their decision to remove flight, doesn't hold a candle to that evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altarion View Post
    I agree. Flying should never have been allowed in WoW. It's a terrible idea, which has ruined a good part of the community aspect of WoW.
    Care to explain exactly HOW it ruins community? This should be good.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-02-09 at 01:47 PM.

Flight, ever since it was added in TBC, was something people took for granted. In WOD they tricked lots of people by promising flight would return in 6.1, but instead ended up delaying it to a point where there was nothing left to do with it.

Absence of flight back then turned me from a completionist ( close to 100% achievements prior to wod, missed some high rated pvp ones) with 7 max lvl characters with maxed professions, having done loremasters on 4 of them previously and playing+ gearing 3 chars for raids, into feeling physical disgust when stepping outside the garrison to do anything but going to a raid and ultimately resulted in me quitting the game.

Expansion launch patch should allow unlocking of flight, no matter the difficulty or time investment.

For what I care all of the following would be required: loremaster, world explorer, completing all max lvl heroic dungeons, having 3 chars max lvl, catch every type wild battlepet from the new zones, get 3 xpac based reputations to exalted (handins/daylies/rep grinds or any combination of such), get 5 professions to max lvl, complete the 5man dungeon meta achieve and then pay 200k gold for flight.

All that would be done in less then 2 weeks, it'd take lots of time and dedication and make sure you experienced the world, but would not punish you beyond that for wanting to complete already mundane things like fishing and archaeology achievement, nor would it hinder you when you try to help a guildy/friend in need simply because they are on the other end of the map.

Forcing someone to crawl instead of walking or riding a bike does not make the world larger, it makes the forced crawler more reluctant to do anything in it, thus making the world effectively smaller or non existent.

Flying is fine just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Flying is fine just the way it is.
    Just the way it was before WoD.

(If you actually meant that it is fine the way it is now = disabled, then I disagree. Ample reasons on this page and on previous pages.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Can any anti fliers give a good reason as to why blizzard continues to sell flying mounts in store for $30 however restrict flying in current content?

Seems like the height of abusing their playerbase financially.

This is also excluding the time cost people have invested farming mounts in some cases for years
    So you know you can ride a dragon on the ground as well right ?

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    So you know you can ride a dragon on the ground as well right ?
    You can also drive your car by pushing it with your hands from the back. Hey, it takes less fuel that way!