Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    55% of what, though? 55% of the 10,000-100,000 people who probably took the poll? that's not 55% of American's, not even remotely close. What a stupid thread.

Unless literally EVERY American takes that poll and I do mean EVERY American - that 55% means absolutely nothing, nothing at all, zippo, zilch.

Prime example - 100,000 take that poll, 55% of that 100,000 are racist bigots.... BANG! 55% OF "AMERICA" AGREE WITH TRUMPS EXECUTE ORDERS" /facepalm
    This is actually a pretty good example of why polling isn't that useful for policy decisions. Not because polls are inaccurate, but because people taking them often understand basic facts as poorly as someone that would write this. Without even the most basic understanding of how sampling and statistics work, there's no reason to treat your opinion as being worth more than that of a child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    If you say so.

I do tend to completely and totally (not to mention blindly) believe what a random forum poster states on a random video game forum. It must be true!!
    Well, no... because a random poster is not silent. For you to believe him, he would have to say nothing, based on your logic.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Well, no... because a random poster is not silent. For you to believe him, he would have to say nothing, based on your logic.
    Wait.

What?

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's pretty interesting how policies often poll much better when they're separated from the person implementing them. We saw this time and again with the ACA. If you ask people about "Obamacare", you get bad results. If you ask them what they think about covering people with preexisting conditions, they're very enthusiastic about.

One obvious takeaway is that we shouldn't pay too much attention to public polling. A minor shift in wording can swing a poll by 10-15% because so many people don't know the first thing about what they're being asked.
    That is because people live in a very filtered world in the United States. You pick a news station and it tells you more or less what to think. You watch Fox than you have been for years told Obamacare is the devil, it is killing your kids, you are broke because it takes all of your money. But they really have NO clue what it really is. They just see "Obama" and then associate "Obama" with "Democrat" and instantly think devil, devil, devil. But if you, as you said, tell them about it like per-existing conditions they think it is great. Because their filter has never really blocked that part of it out because their filter has never really explained what it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/13292/...-aaron-bandler

In spite of the relentless anti-Trump media portrayal of the president, and in spite of the Trump camp's numerous missteps and flawed spokespeople that fuel that portrayal, the American people are quietly nodding their heads when they see what Trump is doing so far.
    Most people will choose candy over going to the doctor too. That doesn't mean constantly eating candy is a good thing, or that doctors are wrong.

51% of Americans believe in creationism too. Let that sink in...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you buy demand narratives with regard to the macroeconomy, the wall is exactly the sort of pointless spending on a useless project that left-leaning economists like Krugman have advocated for years.
    Could you explain? Because demand and useless don't really work together.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Made your thread title significantly less deceptive for you.

(Poll: Americans LOVE Trump's Executive Orders -> Poll: Up to 55% of Americans Approve Trump's Executive Orders)

I even cherry-picked the highest number out of the two polls to help make your point.
    Sorry if anyone was bothered by the title, I simply copied the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Could you explain? Because demand and useless don't really work together.
    Here's Krugman on the matter. I gotta run, but I'm pretty sure he's made blog posts that are basically the same. I don't think he's alone in having advocated that we just spend money on anything, no matter how useless. Granted, most economists aren't this extreme about putting burnt offerings at the altar of the aggregate demand gods, but it's a real position that exists.

It's not my position, to be clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait.

What?

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.
    When you are advocating a silent majority, sarcasm about not listening to posters results in you believing in silence. I know you didn't realize it, but implying you listens to or believe a silent majority, is like saying you eat what's on an empty plate. I can claim silent majority believes you are a leprechaun, the confirmation would then be no one saying you are a leprechaun.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's Krugman on the matter. I gotta run, but I'm pretty sure he's made blog posts that are basically the same. I don't think he's alone in having advocated that we just spend money on anything, no matter how useless. Granted, most economists aren't this extreme about putting burnt offerings at the altar of the aggregate demand gods, but it's a real position that exists.

It's not my position, to be clear.
    Your position is comparing a wall to an actual Alien invasion? That part is your position?

"If we discovered that space aliens were planning to attack, and we needed a massive build-up to counter the space alien threat, and inflation and budget deficits took secondary place to that, this slump would be over in 18 months,” Krugman says, referencing an episode of The Twilight Show in which an alien threat was manufactured to bring about world peace.
    Now, you just have to convince us, how building a wall is the same threat as an alien invasion, so as to put budget and inflation secondary? Because I'm willing to point out that demonizing Mexico and immigration, is specifically what Trump is doing to make those secondary. Krugman isn't saying that the public needs to be distracted, to make Mexico a priority over inflation and the budget. You are highlighting what is wrong, because according to Krugman, it will negatively impact inflation and budget... which is why he is using something so absurdly dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    The silent majority stands with Trump.
    I'm starting to think you are more right than most are willing to admit.

It's also probably why he won the presidency and it was such a shocker because there was this silent group that polls didn't show and they were indeed in favor of Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

It's also probably why he won the presidency and it was such a shocker because there was this silent group that polls didn't show and they were indeed in favor of Trump.
    Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million, while the state's he won were within margin of error. There are a lot of people who are ashamed to admit they support Trump, but to claim he holds a silent majority, requires demonizing 3 million American citizens as not being real Americans.

That's the fun part in claiming a silent majority. You are quite litteraly claiming a mass, by the fact it's not tangible. It turns a Trump supporter in to that giant orb at the end of one of the Dr Who season. It doesn't register on any measuring device, but when the moment comes it unleashes the dearlak (sp?) invasion.
    Last edited by Felya; 2017-02-09 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    but then you can't help but say the last part, and how 43% approving of him is "utterly horrifying". Its not utterly horrifying.
    Yes it is.. That 43% approve of a president, that outright disagree with establshed facts and lie left and right for his own gain.. That is horrifying..
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

In spite of the relentless anti-Trump media portrayal of the president, and in spite of the Trump camp's numerous missteps and flawed spokespeople that fuel that portrayal, the American people are quietly nodding their heads when they see what Trump is doing so far.
    I trust in polls as much as I trust the POTUS election and Brexit polls.

If you say so.

I do tend to completely and totally (not to mention blindly) believe what a random forum poster states on a random video game forum. It must be true!!
    Back at ya...

Just like believing one poll of your preference.

This is pretty silly. The worst you could reasonably say about the wall would be that it'd be a complete waste of tens of billions of dollars. That wouldn't even put it in the top ten worst policy decisions - other projects have wasted hundreds of billions of dollars for no discernible gain.

If you buy demand narratives with regard to the macroeconomy, the wall is exactly the sort of pointless spending on a useless project that left-leaning economists like Krugman have advocated for years.
    I'll re-phrase without hyperbole: It's a colossal waste of money on an ineffective project that will become a widely maligned mark in the history of government policy and generally thought of as a poor decision railroaded through by a small group of people who gave no thought to what the practical application and results would be, just as Prohibition was.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine
    Basically this.
    Is it though? Basically all the results showed between 45-55% approval. Given a 2% margin of error, the average on each individual topic is about 50% approval among those polled. The only one to break the 50s for % approval was the protection of LGBTQ rights. An average of 50% is not exactly a ringing endorsement of a 'silent majority'. Also buried at the bottom is this little gem:
    Sixty percent said that the country is not headed down the right path.
    Given that this poll was conducted only a few days ago, during Trump's administration, 60% saying the country is not moving in the right direction is a direct counter to a 'silent majority' statement.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

I've never understood why the silent minority keeps calling itself the silent majority when they didn't even come close to winning the popular vote. That's a funny definition of majority....

- - - - - - - - - - - -

A 2070 sample size. Of which some interesting points to take away-

2016 Vote: Democrat Hillary Clinton 764 37%
    2016 Vote: Republican Donald Trump 834 40%
    2016 Vote: Someone else 195 9%
    N 1793
    So almost every other question had the full 2070 answer it? Where is the missing 277 on this question? In a later question they actually had "didn't vote" as a number/percentage included, so that's not it. The good old silent minority, not willing to admit who they voted for? That sort of puts the whole poll out of whack, but we'll continue.

Educ: < College 1361 66%
    Educ: Bachelors degree 460 22%
    Educ: Post-grad 250 12%
    N 2070
    So this makes one wonder, are they educated on the issues they're being asked about? Lot's of people don't even follow the news/current events, no less understand what half the EOs they're being polled on entail.

RD/WT: Right Direction 837 40%
    RD/WT: Wrong Track 1233 60%
    N 2070
    Oddly enough, even a poll, skewed seemingly in Trump's favor, still has 60% of those polled thinking the country on the wrong track. That's the real take away. Makes you wonder what that actual number is.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-02-09 at 03:00 PM.

You're making a grand assumption here that the American people are seeing what is going on.

The fact that so many millions of people voted for him means precisely the opposite. They aren't paying attention now just like they weren't before. Or if they are paying attention, they voted for him and to preserve ego, they are just digging in their heels. #MAGA

Deleted
    Wait, did he end funding to sanctuary cities?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Why does every other poll show otherwise?
    Because Trumpettes love to use a single poll to try and reinforce their confirmation bias.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Back at ya...

Just like believing one poll of your preference.
    I don't believe just one poll. Frankly I don't believe the vast majority of polls.

Because let's be honest. They can all be wrong. Yes Hillary won the popular vote but per EVERY poll possible it should have been a total landslide. But she didn't (obviously). Like none of those polls you love so much predicted Trump would win more than a handful of states. But he did.

My entire point was that the people that voted Trump in are the same ones who aren't raising hell right now rioting and causing trouble. They are quietly going about their jobs and sticking to whatever it is they do.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis