Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    I'll take the assumption you're not-Republican. You could just as well campaign for the working class. And if memory serves, hasn't the working class typically been a large part of your party platform...?
    Working-class has traditionally been a big Democratic Party base, yes. (And I'm only a Democrat inasmuch as I disagree with the vast majority of Republican Party stances) Policy-wise, Democrats are still the pro-union, pro-minimum wage raising, pro worker's rights party, but a) they have gone drastically off-message and failed to convey it, b) they ran Hillary Clinton, who voters didn't believe was really "for the people", c) they have chased donors just as much as Republicans (although Dems are trying to fix the money in politics issue, and Republicans really aren't), which has pushed them away from the working class, and d) allowed the Right-wing media to successfully portray them as coastal elitists.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-02-09 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    How exactly are you going to teach a 60 year old who's been laid off for almost a decade the skills necessary to get a well-paying manufacturing job? The people banking with industrial jobs nowadays are tradesmen doing gig work: Welders, CNC machinists, sparkies, HVAC guys, etc. That's a combination of physical and mental labor, labor which a 60-something is ill-equipped to perform.
    60 year olds should be eligible for retirement IMO. Reducing the retirement age eligibility for pensions, retirement funds, and SS benefits would open up jobs across the board and reduce wages. It would benefit us all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    This thread is still open? Brb gonna make a thread about when are regressives going to stop studying liberal arts and be a useful part of society.
    grammar, logic, rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy.

Those are liberal arts.

But I can see how someone like you would consider those sorts of things to be useless.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Not everyone is a 25 year old single guy with no liquid assets or family to care for who can move anywhere at a moments notice.
    Then people have made other choices in life. Once again, it all boils down to the personal choices and risks they make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Not for unskilled labour, though. That's abundant everywhere.
    Then that person should have gotten more skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I do believe the government should help those who lost manufacturing jobs gain skills to enter other areas.
    America should be investing in all of it's potential workforce, not just pieces here and there. The truth is, we're headed to a time when most people aren't going to be required to work since those jobs will be handled by robots and automation. What do you do when 50%+ of your workforce can't work because those jobs are now obsolete?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top 10 most popular jobs are done by 28 million people. There are 124 million working adults in the United States. That's 22.5% of the current working adults whose jobs are easily replaced. The top 3 jobs; Retail Sales, Cashiers, and Food prep / service, are already starting to be replaced with automation. Those three alone account for 11 million of those 28 million in the top 10.

Again, this isn't just an issue that affects the top 10 jobs in America. Jobs all down the line are either already being replaced or at risk of being replaced.

To the OP, America has always banded together to overcome obstacles. This boot straps thing is a modern narrative from Libertarians and Republicans who were born into luxury and/or are of the "I got mine, no one else matters" mentality. Of course, now that I think about your statement, I may have been sarcasm.
    Sure, America always bands together for major events, but on the day to day, Almost everyone shares that same, "I'm going to get mine!" mentality. You sure are all about jumping down the throats of Republicans and Libertarians, but I sure as hell remember the Obama administration going into Hillary / Bernie, that the Democrats were crying "Where's my cut! Free education! $15 minimum wage!" At the end of the day, it was all about "Getting mine" because that's the true American way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Working-class has traditionally been a big Democratic Party base, yes. (And I'm only a Democrat inasmuch as I disagree with the vast majority of Republican Party stances) Policy-wise, Democrats are still the pro-union, pro-minimum wage raising, pro worker's rights party, but a) they have gone drastically off-message and failed to convey it, b) they ran Hillary Clinton, who voters didn't believe was really "for the people", c) they have chased donors just as much as Republicans (although Dems are trying to fix the money in politics issue, and Republicans really aren't), which has pushed them away from the working class, and d) allowed the Right-wing media to successfully portray them as coastal elitists.
    *nods*
    In a rather crappy fashion they've all but become Republicans. They've claimed a platform that was Liberal, but when it came to making policy decisions it always benefited Wall Street, Big business, at the expense of that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then people have made other choices in life. Once again, it all boils down to the personal choices and risks they make.
    Then that person should have gotten more skilled.
    Plenty of unskilled labor and what do you think to do...oh...right nothing, because lets add more problems because "where they were born limited their options and it's not my fault since I had plenty of options myself, and my experience means everyone has those same opportunities, so fuck them"...

Your useless ignorant opinion in a nutshell.

Maybe. But that's why you won't just sit on your hands and keep working for a nation you want to live in. Wasn't Trump supposed to step up on the protectionism aspects as well?
    I can only thing two ways in which he can enact policy to prevent imports.

- Tax exemptions
    - Subsidies (In a administration who is focused on fiscal responsibility is unlikely)

Neither of the two have a significant enough to keep prices down. The reason I did not include tariffs, it's because so far he has shown he won't do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I can only thing two ways in which he can enact policy to prevent imports.

- Tax exemptions
    - Subsidies (In a administration who is focused on fiscal responsibility is unlikely)

Neither of the two have a significant enough to keep prices down. The reason I did not include tariffs, it's because so far he has shown he won't do it.
    Why is primary production for national essentials like food already not heavily laden with tax exemptions and reductions? Subsidies never work.

Another prime example of word-think. Please do me a favour and look it up.
    Oh my fuck, I did look it up and found nothing when it came to definitions. so either spell it out for me or I'm gonna just assume it's some pedantic term that doesn't even apply in the way you're using it.

There is a skills gap and a jobs gap (in some areas of the US)

Out in rural US, there are towns that were built on coal and manufacturing. These jobs have dried up and the towns are now struggling to survive. What jobs are there are from small retailers or big name chains that suck the money out of the local economies. I dont know what you do with a 50-60 year old person who only knows coal or manufacturing. Even if they are able to leave their small town and learn a new skill with a degree, nobody is going to hire a person in the twilight of their working career with a brand new skill. Lets face it a 55 year old recent graduate in business is not going to be able to compete with a 24 year old business graduate in the job market.

We have had decades of kids raised under the mentality that "if you dont go to college you will not get a good job", so we have this big push for our students to get degrees in careers that we just outsource to H1B Visa holders.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post

We have had decades of kids raised under the mentality that "if you dont go to college you will not get a good job", so we have this big push for our students to get degrees in careers that we just outsource to H1B Visa holders.
    what jobs get outsourced from Americans to H1B visa holders

cuz it's not tech jobs, it's not hard to get a tech job if you're a qualified american

Quote Originally Posted by Bags View Post

cuz it's not tech jobs, it's not hard to get a tech job if you're a qualified american
    ANY JOB that is going to H1B Visa Holders.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    ANY JOB that is going to H1B Visa Holders.
    ah yes the ANY job at the ANY factory where you produce ANYs, very vital to the american economy

Complaining about folks on welfare? Get used to it and more. Automation is the slow end of capitalism by a thousand paper cuts, and it's going to be hilarious to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Complaining about folks on welfare? Get used to it and more. Automation is the slow end of capitalism by a thousand paper cuts, and it's going to be hilarious to see how it all plays out.
    So true. I have Trump-supporting in-laws who complain about "welfare queens", ignoring that two of their siblings are on lazy dole *cough* I mean permanent disability.

These two twenty somethings think they've got budding careers as truck drivers ahead of them. Joke's gonna be on them.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

ah yes the ANY job at the ANY factory where you produce ANYs, very vital to the american economy
    Are you trying to argue that they arent taking jobs or lowering demand for jobs?

10+ Year Old Account

It can be, there is a trend to bring in a couple H1B workers to be taught everything for a given job such as tech support and then have them train the new workers in an outsourced call center.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Why is primary production for national essentials like food already not heavily laden with tax exemptions and reductions? Subsidies never work.
    It already is, and its also heavily subsidized.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Oh my fuck, I did look it up and found nothing when it came to definitions. so either spell it out for me or I'm gonna just assume it's some pedantic term that doesn't even apply in the way you're using it.
    Read his article on it. "How Persuaders See the World". You can roughly sum it with certain words literally triggering people in certain way. :^)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    It already is, and its also heavily subsidized.
    Ho-hum. Something's fucky.

Factory jobs haven't been in a really sustainable position for awhile now. Anyone working at a factory and expecting it to work out in the long run is fooling themselves and don't really want to have to work to better themselves. I doubt they will ever attempt to pick themselves up since they decided long ago to try to make a living and a life by being a factory worker. Surely some of them had to know the dangers and understand that they could be replaced with machines or the job shipped overseas at any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?