Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Anyone else that will be disappointed if SAM is not announced for 4.0? I personally will even if I won't main it.
    Honestly not really, we have Paladin, Dark Knight, Warrior, Dragoon, Ninja and now Red mage that beat the shit out of people with sharp implements. I would much rather see something more martial arts of magical like Dancer or Puppet Master. Samurai is a neat image but in terms of gameplay its just a guy hitting things with a sword, two swords or a spear. We kind of have those bases covered really.

Personally i would like to see a new tank, maybe something like WoW's brewmaster in playstyle. They could use a job like Beast Master, Blue Mage or Magitek Knight for it but could also take something from another SE ip like Bravely Seconds Exorcist/Phantom Knight. Mostly because getting SAM now when the new big bad is a Samurai trained in Rabanastre feels a bit wierd and all the more so when it would feel more in line with a frontline leading a charge in an othard expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Yeah, a possibility. Though giving them another sword? Wouldn't that be a bit odd, two hybrid mages with swords in one expansion? As for Raubahn I think those skills were more for 'rule of cool' and to make the fight interesting than hinting at a job. But who knows, we'll just have to wait. From what we know of Ala Mhigo though I don't htink it has much arabian influence, that would be more Thavnairia.

Sure sam would also be another sword using class, but would also contrast much more with red mage than blue mage in other ways.
    Just because we're going to Ala Mhigo doesn't mean the classes have to be themed around that. Ninja was from Doma with Lady Yugiri being the kind of intro character for it, with the Rogue guild and Thancred kind of being the connecting stuff for Rogue.

Dark Knight wasn't strictly Ishgardian themed either, seen more as a pariah than anything else with no specific connection to ANY region.

I'm not sure how or if Red Mage ties into Ala Mhigo directly either, I don't know enough about Ala Mhigan culture to see the connection if there is one. There's a precedent for classes being introduced from outside the main themed geographical location in the game. The classes can essentially be imported from a region outside of the main expansion locale through a refugee scenario or a trade agreement or something else that just puts reasonable motive for an outside region to be connected to the one we're operating in, like Ninja was. It could also be some kind of shadow cult not really specific to that region, like Dark knight was. Or it could be directly linked to the in-game regions seen by the player character, as with most other classes in the game.

I'm excited to see how they do it, I'll be excited for whatever class gets added. Red Mage looks great, and if it's Samurai that would be awesome, but I'll admit Blue Mage would make me even more excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just because we're going to Ala Mhigo doesn't mean the classes have to be themed around that. Ninja was from Doma with Lady Yugiri being the kind of intro character for it, with the Rogue guild and Thancred kind of being the connecting stuff for Rogue.

Dark Knight wasn't strictly Ishgardian themed either, seen more as a pariah than anything else with no specific connection to ANY region.

I'm not sure how or if Red Mage ties into Ala Mhigo directly either, I don't know enough about Ala Mhigan culture to see the connection if there is one. There's a precedent for classes being introduced from outside the main themed geographical location in the game. The classes can essentially be imported from a region outside of the main expansion locale through a refugee scenario or a trade agreement or something else that just puts reasonable motive for an outside region to be connected to the one we're operating in, like Ninja was. It could also be some kind of shadow cult not really specific to that region, like Dark knight was. Or it could be directly linked to the in-game regions seen by the player character, as with most other classes in the game.

I'm excited to see how they do it, I'll be excited for whatever class gets added. Red Mage looks great, and if it's Samurai that would be awesome, but I'll admit Blue Mage would make me even more excited.

I know the new jobs don't neccisarily need to fit ala mhigo, that was directed at him saying we don't have a good look at their culture yet and saying that might fit there.

But yeah we had monk in arr despite no Ala Mhigo and Dragoon despite only having central corthas. So we could get a doma job in 4.0.

One thing to consider though is that Yurigi and the doman refugees were an important part of the plot in the 2.x patches where ninja came in and the three ishgarde job storylines all also dealt with Ishgard sociery in one form or another, so I'd be a bit surprised if the new jobsore wise have nothing to donwith ala mhigo even if they don't start there. But we'll have tonwait and see to be sure.

Dark knights were born from those in power in ishgard being shielded from their crimes
    Machinists are all about arming the common man and revolutionizing Ishgards traditional military. Haven't finished ast yet but the clashing between schools of astrology seems to ay a part. These jobs are not divorced from Ishgard's story but play upon different aspects of it.
    Last edited by Florena; 2017-02-09 at 06:17 PM.

I know the new jobs don't neccisarily need to fit ala mhigo, that was directed at him saying we don't have a good look at their culture yet and saying that might fit there.

But yeah we had monk in arr despite no Ala Mhigo and Dragoon despite only having central corthas. So we could get a doma job in 4.0.

One thing to consider though is that Yurigi and the doman refugees were an important part of the plot in the 2.x patches where ninja came in and the three ishgarde job storylines all also dealt with Ishgard sociery in one form or another, so I'd be a bit surprised if the new jobsore wise have nothing to donwith ala mhigo even if they don't start there. But we'll have tonwait and see to be sure.

Dark knights were born from those in power in ishgard being shielded from their crimes
    Machinists are all about arming the common man and revolutionizing Ishgards traditional military. Haven't finished ast yet but the clashing between schools of astrology seems to ay a part. These jobs are not divorced from Ishgard's story but play upon different aspects of it.
    Was more pointing out that there are some jobs that are not directly tied to the region we're operating in, but are brought in via some external interaction like Ninja. I took the DRK backstory a little more broadly than just Ishgard, even if the in-game verbiage seems specifically tailored to Ishgards situation. The concept that the privileged elite protectors could become corrupt and would therefore result in the downtrodden populace needing protection from their protectors is not specific to any region. AST and MCH are directly tied to Ishgardian lore, though the player character AST is trained by an outside Sharlayan AST coming to Ishgard to visit, understand and "preach" the differences between Ishgardian astrologian philosophy and the Sharlayan philosophy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Honestly not really, we have Paladin, Dark Knight, Warrior, Dragoon, Ninja and now Red mage that beat the shit out of people with sharp implements. I would much rather see something more martial arts of magical like Dancer or Puppet Master. Samurai is a neat image but in terms of gameplay its just a guy hitting things with a sword, two swords or a spear. We kind of have those bases covered really.

Personally i would like to see a new tank, maybe something like WoW's brewmaster in playstyle. They could use a job like Beast Master, Blue Mage or Magitek Knight for it but could also take something from another SE ip like Bravely Seconds Exorcist/Phantom Knight. Mostly because getting SAM now when the new big bad is a Samurai trained in Rabanastre feels a bit wierd and all the more so when it would feel more in line with a frontline leading a charge in an othard expansion.
    Honestly I feel like Yda in the video was a dancer abd a tank. The way she fought was very defensive I feel and had alot of counters could be a fun playstyle

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Was more pointing out that there are some jobs that are not directly tied to the region we're operating in, but are brought in via some external interaction like Ninja. I took the DRK backstory a little more broadly than just Ishgard, even if the in-game verbiage seems specifically tailored to Ishgards situation. The concept that the privileged elite protectors could become corrupt and would therefore result in the downtrodden populace needing protection from their protectors is not specific to any region. AST and MCH are directly tied to Ishgardian lore, though the player character AST is trained by an outside Sharlayan AST coming to Ishgard to visit, understand and "preach" the differences between Ishgardian astrologian philosophy and the Sharlayan philosophy.
    The lore book backstory for drk is about a temple knoght and pedo priest but the whole theme could work somewhere like Ul'dah too I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly I feel like Yda in the video was a dancer abd a tank. The way she fought was very defensive I feel and had alot of counters could be a fun playstyle

Some speculate that could be Yda's sister mentioned in the lore book too.

Either way though I think she was still just a monk. It didn't seem distinct enough to me to be a while new job. And even then npcs don't play by the same rules as players when it comes to classes and abilities anyway.

I would much rather see something more martial arts of magical like Dancer or Puppet Master.
    You pretty much mentioned my worst case scenarios for new jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean in thoery they could go Kanabō SAM in thoery and add a mace melee fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I mean... she was being attacked.... so you know... as a monk... she could have just been ya know... defending?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I mean... she was being attacked.... so you know... as a monk... she could have just been ya know... defending?
    Yeah, seemed like a fairly typical anime eaque kung fu fight to me. Let's not forget monks also have a dodge cooldown and hay maker after dodging.

Anyone else that will be disappointed if SAM is not announced for 4.0? I personally will even if I won't main it.
    I will be. I want my 2H Katana!

and it's not like if they give us both SAM/RDM that there's nothing left class wise to look forward to.

Blue Mage, Geomancer, Dancer, Time Mage would be nice additions

tbh they said rdm is mainly a ranged caster and the rest of the sword users are tanks. the game sorely lacks the swordsman melee that people want and the only 2h melee we have is drg which doesn't really fill that niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else that will be disappointed if SAM is not announced for 4.0?
    I'll have half of Free Company angry if I don't show them SAM.

*Only one in FC who purchased EU FanFest stream since I got it with 30% off.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    tbh they said rdm is mainly a ranged caster and the rest of the sword users are tanks. the game sorely lacks the swordsman melee that people want and the only 2h melee we have is drg which doesn't really fill that niche.

i agree, i would love a really good sword user thats not a tank,

Well, I'm just the belt and accessories away from having full 130 maiming set ready to go.

If this whole gamble of mine blows up in my face, it's not a big deal...I can still make some gains on desynth from this stuff and/or turn it in for GC seals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thinking they are going to do either Blue mage or samurai, both tank classes. The spiderman t-shirt points to blue mage imo. He was bitten by a spider and gained its powers which is what a blue mage does. How they would implement that in game seems tricky too me. I would also like to see them get a non-bladed weapon, maybe something like a club or flail.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Thinking they are going to do either Blue mage or samurai, both tank classes. The spiderman t-shirt points to blue mage imo. He was bitten by a spider and gained its powers which is what a blue mage does. How they would implement that in game seems tricky too me. I would also like to see them get a non-bladed weapon, maybe something like a club or flail.
    I agree the shirt in and of itself points towards blue mage, though I'm a bit skeptical that they would do red and blue at the same time especially if we only get two jobs this expansion. If it is blue mage though, I'll tell you exactly how they'll do it. Just like how monks 'open chakras' lore wise but just get abilities by leveling up and doing quests, it would be the same for blue mage. They would have some unique story fluff about how they do it, probably studying how monsters utilize their natural aether to do certain things then mimicking it, but gameplay wise would get their spells the exact same way as everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree the shirt in and of itself points towards blue mage, though I'm a bit skeptical that they would do red and blue at the same time especially if we only get two jobs this expansion. If it is blue mage though, I'll tell you exactly how they'll do it. Just like how monks 'open chakras' lore wise but just get abilities by leveling up and doing quests, it would be the same for blue mage. They would have some unique story fluff about how they do it, probably studying how monsters utilize their natural aether to do certain things then mimicking it, but gameplay wise would get their spells the exact same way as everyone else.
    Probably though if they still did hunt logs tying it to that would have worked imo

10+ Year Old Account
    The next Fan fest needs to happen already, so we can put this new Job speculation to rest, and get maybe just a little more info on the Combat rework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    The next Fan fest needs to happen already, so we can put this new Job speculation to rest, and get maybe just a little more info on the Combat rework.
    this is what I want to know, cause like, do healers still get swiftcast?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.