Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Protecting civilized debate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e9771d3800f8

I don't care if you're republican or democrat. We cannot allow civilized debate to die in this country. We cannot allow all debate, especially in our governing bodies, to descend into insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e9771d3800f8

https://youtu.be/5XycsE4FICg

I don't care if you're republican or democrat. We cannot allow civilized debate to die in this country. We cannot allow all debate, especially in our governing bodies, to descend into insults.
    Not watching a whole video. And don't really need to. He says "we are becoming a country that can't debate anymore". Where was this the last 8 years?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    I don't care if you're republican or democrat.
    Only one of those sides seems to be doing their best to shut down discussion outside of an echo chamber. Whats worse is they are resorting to more extreme methods to shut down conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    Only one of those sides seems to be doing their best to shut down discussion outside of an echo chamber. Whats worse is they are resorting to more extreme methods to shut down conversation.
    And the other side did it the last 8 years.

Welcome to hyper-partisan politics, aka 'Murica since Obama
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Well by "debate" Rubio really just means "shut up and vote for what we say".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    And the other side did it the last 8 years.

Welcome to hyper-partisan politics, aka 'Murica since Obama
    Yeah you're gonna go far with that logic(moral equivalency).

I'm not very amused that the people calling for unity and civilized debate are largely the ones that worked for the last decade to kill it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

So how was Coretta Scott King's letter offensive?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Listened to the first minute or two and while I agree with the sentiment, it's hilariously disingenuous coming from the GOP given their behavior over the past 8 years.

I mean, shit, they literally stonewalled a SCOTUS nominee for a full year. Where was this sentiment when they weren't in charge? Where was this sentiment when they were actively driving that partisan wedge further and further down into the tree?

I'm all for bringing back actual, reasonable, civilized debate, but both sides need to make an attempt for it to work. The GOP can't drive that wedge down for nearly a decade straight and then play the innocent card when they're finally in power.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    It hurt McConnel's feelings : (

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm not very amused that the people calling for unity and civilized debate are largely the ones that worked for the last decade to kill it.
    What better way to show how superior you are then to lead by example? Why resort to underhanded tactics that you denounced for years? Think there's a word for that.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Reality is offensive to those people who don't live in it.

Deleted
    People seem to actually want 'debates' to die and have some 'action'

How are they supposed to have debates over cabinet appointees if they're not allowed to criticize them?

I understand not criticizing the person you are debating with, but they weren't debating with Sessions, they were debating over him.

What better way to show how superior you are then to lead by example? Why resort to underhanded tactics that you denounced for years? Think there's a word for that.
    lol, you can use the argument on Republicans too.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

The word is called karma, and the Republicans are about to get a 4 year helping of it.

Also, the side that started it suddenly asking the other side to lead by example is just all sorts of convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The GOP really should shut up when it comes to rational debate and all that charade.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The word is called karma, and the Republicans are about to get a 4 year helping of it.

Also, the side that started it suddenly asking the other side to lead by example is just all sorts of convenient.
    lol moral high ground argument

Yea, people might care about that if they weren't about to fill a stolen supreme court seat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a good laugh at 3:50. Brought to mind a few years back when Paul Ryan put forth a budget plan that him and the Dems agreed upon and he was shit on for it by his own people.

We are already at a point where civilized debate is dead. Look at who's in the White House now. He damn sure doesn't care for civilized debate when he's constantly on Twitter firing up his voter base to hate anyone who disagrees with him. And after the fiasco in the Senate with Warren and Turtle Face there's not much hope for Congress now. But I guess that's why Rubio thought it was his job to stand up and try to get everyone to hold hands.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Yea, people might care about that if they weren't about to fill a stolen supreme court seat.
    Stolen? Thanks for that, I always like being able to identify the people I don't have to take seriously.