The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

"Personal rank adjustment"?

At the end of the game when the rank points are being distributed, what do the personal rank adjustment points mean? How are they calculated? If I'm getting 25 extra points a game, what does that mean?

Help me escape my ignorance.

Deleted
    PRA is a modifier based on your (visible) rank and your (invisible) MMR. The adjustment is supposed to help you reach the rank, that the Matchmaker believes you belong, quicker. This is based on past performance and past opponents' strength.

It's needed for two reasons. First, initial season ranking is limited to Dia 3 or worse. So even if your MMR indicates GM skill, you land in Dia 3. To leave that rank behind, you receive the adjustment points. Secondly, two players with identical starting MMR and identical win rate can have different skill. Let's assume A and B start with 2000 MMR. A loses 50 games, then wins 50. B wins 50 games, then loses 50. B is significantly better as he reached his 50:50 win quota against on average stronger opponents. Without adjustment, B and A would hold the same rank. With adjustment B will be higher.

So far in a perfect game with unlimited players and only balanced games. When the Matchmaker due to wait time constraints creates unbalanced matches, an adjustment is needed as well. I have no clue if it's done via the PRA as well and I have generally no clue how the formula looks.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    PRA is a modifier based on your (visible) rank and your (invisible) MMR. The adjustment is supposed to help you reach the rank, that the Matchmaker believes you belong, quicker. This is based on past performance and past opponents' strength.

It's needed for two reasons. First, initial season ranking is limited to Dia 3 or worse. So even if your MMR indicates GM skill, you land in Dia 3. To leave that rank behind, you receive the adjustment points. Secondly, two players with identical starting MMR and identical win rate can have different skill. Let's assume A and B start with 2000 MMR. A loses 50 games, then wins 50. B wins 50 games, then loses 50. B is significantly better as he reached his 50:50 win quota against on average stronger opponents. Without adjustment, B and A would hold the same rank. With adjustment B will be higher.

So far in a perfect game with unlimited players and only balanced games. When the Matchmaker due to wait time constraints creates unbalanced matches, an adjustment is needed as well. I have no clue if it's done via the PRA as well and I have generally no clue how the formula looks.
    Thank you the detailed reply! That definitely clears it up for me, and I am very glad they have something like this in place.

Purely out of curiosity, if I'm sitting at gold 3 right now getting 25 extra points a game, do you know what my "Invisible" MMR would be at? If you've no clue thats also fine of course.

Deleted
    No idea, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    Thank you the detailed reply! That definitely clears it up for me, and I am very glad they have something like this in place.

Purely out of curiosity, if I'm sitting at gold 3 right now getting 25 extra points a game, do you know what my "Invisible" MMR would be at? If you've no clue thats also fine of course.
    25 is a lot, so I would imagine the game thinks you're low Platinum.