Page 1 of 3
LastLast

professions were great! then SUCKED in legion

The idea of profession quests was freaking fantastic and I loved doing all of them. You know what wasn't so great? the fact all progression after that was RNG that just upgraded existing patterns....professions...and i guess i speak more for us crafting professions tailors, leatherworkers and blacksmiths deserve more progression than, well this patch you can upgrade the gear you make by 5 more item levels, so people who only do world quests MAY buy it....

I see they're adding legendaries next patch which i really hope are BoP to increase the worth of these professions, but if they're BoE at least we can make money...back on point though professions were really really fun when legion launched, but now they just seem so...blah, i mean I'll never do a rbg for a pattern nor should you ever have to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    professions are all good except blacksmithing Tailoring & Leatherworking.

There is nothing those 3 offer in the long term.
    I think the person designing professions this expansion had an aneurysm. Actually I think that in general regarding professions since Wrath. Professions started going downhill in Cata and they have all repeated the same mistakes made since Classic and somehow even managed to regress.

This desire to constantly increase the cap for every expansion including introducing whole new recipes is - much like the foolish endeavour of introducing a whole new continent with a separate levelling paradigm, swapping between linear and exponential scaling because people like numbers (ooh big numbers!) or attempting to balance PVP and PVE for five expansions - ridiculous.

The current profession system needs to be rethought. I'd propose that it should instead be, source recipe & level recipe, reducing material cost and/or other similar benefits. Levelling recipes should involve the current system minus the RNG. Having some recipes only available through random drops is more than enough RNG.

Sadly most of these ill thought out decisions are stuck in the game like flying, cats out of the bag and all that. At the very least they could trim the fat off the edges, getting rid of item recipes that are pretty much completely unused.

Every expansion the buffs of the previous one become obsolete and a whole new set of buffs are introduced. Is there anything more jarring than being forced to forget the plethora of upgrades our profession allows but can't use "because iL".

/rant

I liked the Burning Crusade model. Every professions was useful and had good endgame items. Leatherworking was overturned but that is the outlier.
    Hi Sephurik

With gigantic 100 iLvl jumps within the same tier I don't think professions can be made relevant the way they used to. It's a different game, players want to upgrade pieces of gear on a daily basis rather than monthly. Professions will because of this always produce sub par irrelevant gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to Legion, I think that Alchemy, Fishing, and Archy was done allright. Cooking was only a slight miss due to the time involved to get recipes - If, instead of getting recipes from RNG Nomi WOs, you instead could buy one from Nomi every 5 work orders for a set food, it would be better.

Everything else was a large miss - The "decreased material cost" feels like shit. Obliterium feels like shit. They should have had the decreased mats cost baseline, removed Obliterium, and made the lvl 110 gear recipe ranks grant increased chance to be titanforged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumar View Post
    The idea of profession quests was freaking fantastic and I loved doing all of them. You know what wasn't so great? the fact all progression after that was RNG that just upgraded existing patterns....professions...and i guess i speak more for us crafting professions tailors, leatherworkers and blacksmiths deserve more progression than, well this patch you can upgrade the gear you make by 5 more item levels, so people who only do world quests MAY buy it....

I see they're adding legendaries next patch which i really hope are BoP to increase the worth of these professions, but if they're BoE at least we can make money...back on point though professions were really really fun when legion launched, but now they just seem so...blah, i mean I'll never do a rbg for a pattern nor should you ever have to.
    proffesions are agrbage because they offer shit usless gear - if they offered 895 itlv gear they would be considered amazing - but atm anythign besides alchemy.enchanting is completly usless.

Deleted
    Apparently, blizzard loves slotmachines.

But it is not really that hard in World of Warcraft. If you compare it with other games from the MMORPG genre, where gearing up consumes millions of ingame credits with RNG upgrade processes, it is quite predictable in WoW.

Most of the patterns i needed i got during world quests and questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I liked the Burning Crusade model. Every professions was useful and had good endgame items. Leatherworking was overturned but that is the outlier.
    This. You would find a recipe for an amazing cloak, potion or gizmo that required fifty more skill points in your main profession than you had, so you'd spend the next days trying to figure out how to grind high enough to be able to learn it.

This in turn introduced content to the game, and allowed the economy to thrive because everyone was always farming herbs, cloths, ores and skins.

Legion brought back this whole idea of getting out there, hunting down recipes and perfecting your professions, but at the end of line there was no Spellfire/Shadowfrost set, or Stormherald to be found. No real advantage to it, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    With gigantic 100 iLvl jumps within the same tier I don't think professions can be made relevant the way they used to. It's a different game, players want to upgrade pieces of gear on a daily basis rather than monthly. Professions will because of this always produce sub par irrelevant gear.
    This is what Obliterum was supposed to fix. Blizzard pulled a nice sprint, but stopped just a few yards short of the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post

This is what Obliterum was supposed to fix. Blizzard pulled a nice sprint, but stopped just a few yards short of the finish line.
    Doesn't obliterum cap out at 855 or something? We're well over 900 now.

I do not think you have a clue. I have made multiple millions of gold off of all 3.

Deleted
    Or the fact that you have to dump 200k + to lvl JC from 779 - 800, Amazing! (depending on server)

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why I don't level profs anymore. Waste of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't obliterum cap out at 855 or something? We're well over 900 now.
    865 IIRC but same difference. The problem is that I get that or close to it from WQs. Why would I pay thousands of gold for gear that I can get for free by cracking some nuts?

Professions have been this way since they removed the stat bonuses whenever that was.

They are back to what they were in Classic. Useless to the equivalent of RP for anyone who doesn't spend a TON of time on them. For those that do, they are a huge source of profit.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

They royally screwed up professions in WoD with everyone having access to everything. The screwed 180 degree's the other way and made professions to much of a hassle to track down everything rank three on multiple toons. Way to go blizz... way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywan View Post
    Or the fact that you have to dump 200k + to lvl JC from 779 - 800, Amazing! (depending on server)
    Or have a brain and level 780-800 for free via Darkmoon Faire. Even spending 200K, you make the gold back quickly due to the costs of red gems.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Indeed, the idea of having profession quests and, overall, making professions more engaging was great - especially after WoD. But, sadly, the execution of both the idea and professions in general, was terrible. So sadly, swing and a miss.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The level for crafting patterns was an interesting idea but horrible implementation, a few professions like JC are just not worth leveling to max as it requires to much rng for a pattern to drop without paying ridiculous amounts of gold, and with warforge/titanforge we should be able to upgrade gear to heroic level ilvl gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Or have a brain and level 780-800 for free via Darkmoon Faire. Even spending 200K, you make the gold back quickly due to the costs of red gems.
    Darkmoon faire is only once in a month, and you only gain 5 skillups with that one quest correct (once a month?) which means there are over 4 months of waiting to get max JC. i have alot of gold so i can afford it, im only speaking on behalf of those who might want JC without paying so much for it.
    Last edited by mmoc1e91e35c21; 2017-02-11 at 10:29 PM.

BS got the pattern to make their mount finally, and are make gold like crazy. About 100k average for less than 30k worth of materials. Not exactly the same in long term as say Alchemy, but still a significant gold maker. LW and Tailor really have nothing significant to offer. Even the riding harness that LW can make, that sells for almost nothing, will be made obsolete with flying in 7.2.

Overall professions were handled better in Legion than they were in WoD, but they took things one step too far with the massive amount of RNG. Still can't get rank 3 mastery food despite thousands of work orders. Not super critical, but it's the principle more than anything else that's annoying. I have rank 3 of other food that I wasn't even trying for and will never use. And all gathering professions need to be made secondary professions that anyone can learn and use any time they want.

They could learn a lot from how FF14 handles professions. Not copy their system exactly, but allow you to have more professions over all than we do now, just make it so they can't all be active at once. You can choose which two professions you want active at any one time, and maybe only allow you to switch them at an NPC at a major hub so you can't switch on the fly. Possibly going as far as only allowing you to switch once per day. That would allow us to go out and spend a day gathering, then spend the next day crafting. But you wouldn't run into absolutely everyone gathering at the exact same time.

They would need to take the multi tap skinning system from the Felhide mobs and make it apply to all mobs. I'll never understand why they haven't done that yet. And the current multi tap system for herbs could maybe be extended by a couple of seconds. It wouldn't tank material or item prices either, because the people who are already unwilling to gather their own mats would still be unwilling to do so under that new system. It wouldn't be like WoD where they could gather nearly everything they needed, no profession required, without going out in the world.

I liked the profession quest chains. Crafted legendaries are whatever to me. If you really need them by the time they're out that kinda sucks for you. But hey. Stats are stats.

No limit to crafted gear is good for alts. I also benefited from being a skin/LW before raids opened after launch and was over 840 ilvl between crafted/dungeon loot. Was nice. Showed how much people were prepared and how much time they committed.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.