Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

State of the Game (worth coming back)?

Pretty straightforward and self-explanatory.

I stopped playing around Cataclysm's release (2010-ish?), so I've missed quite a bit obviously.

Is the game enjoyable (even playable?) for someone who was competing at high levels during previous expansions, but simply doesn't have the same free time available at this point?

Can you play casually, and still feel like you're getting somewhere with your character, etc.?

Only person that can decide that is you. I can say the game is going to be way different then the version you last played. That could be good since you quit playing though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Game is at its quality peak in any aspect (except pvp). No reason not to come back.

When you first start playing Legion and for a decent amount of time afterwards, it will probably be the most fun you've had in an expansion in a long time. The amount of solo content is overwhelming at first and there is a tremendous amount of stuff you can without needing a group, and the few things you do need/want a group for can be done almost instantly (in terms of time to find a party) with the LFM tool.

With the world quests, your class hall story campaign, the artifact obtainment quest chains, each zone's respective story while leveling, Suramar, and more... in terms of content, no expansion has come close. Many of us forget how great Legion felt at launch because we're at a point now where we've got nothing to do but raid and spam M+, but as a returning player I promise you won't get to that point for quite a while.

For the rest of us... just keep thinking about how amazing it's going to be to go to ARGUS in 7.3. An entire new zone, and it's ARGUS, man! Just look ahead, friends mindlessly grinding away in M+!

Well except the legendary system that's pretty aids when you change specs

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's put it this way: On one hand Blizzard have delivered an expansion with tonnes of content. The patch cadence is good. Some specs are crap right now, others are great.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person that gets frustrated with yourself because you didn't meet a mandated quota of Arbitrary-Single-Expansion-System-Magic-Fun-Points on a nightly basis and that feels like "a waste", Legion will eat you alive and spit out your psychological-reward-loop-manipulated husk.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Yes. People will tell you it's "grindy" But...it's an MMO. And WoW. So let them whine. Idk. Come back. Gear up. Do whatever you need for part 1 pathfinder. enjoy Suramar and raids. Get ready for 7.2 in a couple-few months.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Up to you. Nobody else can really decide for you since everyone has a different opinion on the game. I come back now and then but the whole Titanforging and RNG concept eventually pisses me off to the point I take a break. Otherwise PvE is in a decent state whereas PvP is in it's worse state ever so far.

Deleted
    https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/crossrealmassist

On some lowpop realm he will be up for you and you'll make it there on time.

I'd assume...

if you like repeatable content, you will love it. you can do tons of daily quest every day, you can farm ap every day and you can chain spam mythic dungeons every day. otherwise no, not really. i resub to wow every here few months but its mostly for nostalgia as i never play it much after coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I have quite a bit of fun raiding with friends casually.
    This. I think they've hit a sweet spot for casual raiding.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Don't let the clueless haters fool you: the game is in the best shape its ever been right now.

Quote Originally Posted by prolific1 View Post
    Pretty straightforward and self-explanatory.

I stopped playing around Cataclysm's release (2010-ish?), so I've missed quite a bit obviously.

Is the game enjoyable (even playable?) for someone who was competing at high levels during previous expansions, but simply doesn't have the same free time available at this point?

Can you play casually, and still feel like you're getting somewhere with your character, etc.?
    I wouldn't come back if you are a competitive person since legiondaries make the game a joke competition-wise.

If you're lucky on lego drops, you get to do good DPS, if not, you do mediocre DPS.

A game with a more balanced playing field and less grinding required might suit you better.

If you just want to come back and dick around, you might enjoy yourself.
    Last edited by IceMan1763; 2017-02-11 at 04:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    the game is fantastic currently imo.

you should at least give it a try.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    you still can play mostly solo and enjoy the game at your pace
    collections have always been a big deal, like in a lot of video games
    it's about the world and what we feel when playing, not just about the gameplay imo

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd hold off til next expac, unless you don't mind being far behind everyone in AP.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

I think its still fun. Just don't back for PVP. Its cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I'd hold off til next expac, unless you don't mind being far behind everyone in AP.
    AP has catch up mechanisms and they are increasing this for next patch as well.

If you like grinding AND you have 4 people to run M+ with, give it a go by all means. Otherwise it's a really meh experience, playing Legion solo would be trash tier waste of time IMO.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My biggest tip I can give you, since you are likely 85 maximum is to pick a high population server before investing a lot of time and realize your server became tiny or heavy faction outnumbered. Save your self a lot of trouble later on.

Legion comes with a level 100 boost as well, and demon hunters start at 98 if you have a 70 on the realm.

I came back after 3 years too having level 90 characters but jumped straight back in my old mains, now realized my server is very low pop, sure I can transfer still at any time, but since blizz did announce "mega-servers" at blizzcon in 1 vague QA line I have held off on it.

Now I'm still hoping for account wide rep some day so switching characters/restarting on other servers feels far more fluid instead of punishment.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-11 at 04:13 PM.

Wait until 7.3

You'll get through the same stuff in less time and everything will be out.