Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    So, for someone who has never played the game (barring an hour or so back when I purchased the Imperial Edition a couple years ago) and also knows nothing of the game at all, in fact nothing of the world at all (about an hour of Skyrim played too), is there a class that plays like a WoW death knight - wielding a two-hander, smashing mobs around the head and using dark/necromantic/death magic?

Any useful resources for a complete and utter newbie?
    Uh...sorta? None really fit the whole "dark knight" angle super well, but Dragon Knight/Sorcerer would likely be a bit closer to what you're thinking of. Any class can use heavy armor/2H, so you're mainly deciding the flavor of how you'll use it between weapon and class based skills.

The ESO reddit has a bunch of handy links that you can dig through, and there folks there generally seem to be pretty helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/

It's pretty straightforward though, I was largely in a similar boat (no real ES experience at all) when I first started but it's easy to pick up and get a hang of.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...sorta? None really fit the whole "dark knight" angle super well, but Dragon Knight/Sorcerer would likely be a bit closer to what you're thinking of. Any class can use heavy armor/2H, so you're mainly deciding the flavor of how you'll use it between weapon and class based skills.
    So if I wanna be a DK it's best to go with a DK?

Thanks for the info and link, I'll go trawling through Reddit while patching my install from 2 years ago ... taken an hour so far and showing at 11% ... I might be here a while ...

Thanks for the info and link, I'll go trawling through Reddit while patching my install from 2 years ago ... taken an hour so far and showing at 11% ... I might be here a while ...
    Yeah, ESO launcher has one of the worst patching systems I've ever seen in a MMO. If you're doing that much patching, I wouldn't expect to be playing tonight -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I don't think they ever have sales for the crowns themselves, just for what you can purchase with the crowns.
    They have sales for crowns sometimes, usually 40% off

Id say Nightblade has alot of skills that you could say are kinda dk ish like in the shadow and siphon skill trees. I'm only like 46 tho so I don't know how viable it would be in late game and stuff.

So, for someone who has never played the game (barring an hour or so back when I purchased the Imperial Edition a couple years ago) and also knows nothing of the game at all, in fact nothing of the world at all (about an hour of Skyrim played too), is there a class that plays like a WoW death knight - wielding a two-hander, smashing mobs around the head and using dark/necromantic/death magic?

Any useful resources for a complete and utter newbie?
    I'd say just play a Nightblade with siphoning and Heavy Armor/Greatsword. Bonus points for Vampire skill-line abilities. Bat-swarm is nice.

Dark Magic Sorcerers also work well with the theme. And certain Daedric-line abilities, but I personally avoid most of those cause I'm not a fan of pets.

You won't get any necromancy cause of the whole Molag Bal issue, but you'll get dark magic with Sorcerer and Nightblade.
    Last edited by Triceratrozer; 2017-02-10 at 11:44 PM.

Quit playing for the foreseeable future.

15+ Year Old Account

DK is a dragon knight, not death knight. Same abbreviation, but different meaning.

Dragon Knights breathe fire and venom, have dragon wings, molten scales, have fiery and venomous claw attacks, use fire and earth magic. It's pretty cool, but thematically it's nothing like death knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only class that has leeching skills is the Nightblade.

But yeah, there is really no class that is remotely similar to the WoW's Death Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only class that has leeching skills is the Nightblade.

But yeah, there is really no class that is remotely similar to the WoW's Death Knight.
    Sorcerers have leeching magic, but less overtly so. It's a passive in the Dark Magic line that gets you health based on damage done.

I think you can make them similar enough, but I generally gunned for a EQ2 Shadowknight kinda deal.

Quit playing for the foreseeable future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceratrozer View Post
    Sorcerers have leeching magic, but less overtly so. It's a passive in the Dark Magic line that gets you health based on damage done.

I think you can make them similar enough, but I generally gunned for a EQ2 Shadowknight kinda deal.
    Sorcerers have sick leeching magic with Surge. It's the best leech ability in the game and makes sorc the most enjoyable class to play in my opinion.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    do they also have sometimes specials for crowns? like 50% off for a crown pack?
    Yes. Before the end of last year they had a sale for 50% off Crowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a Magicka Nightblade with 2 Hand Sword/ Staff and light armor (for Passive bonuses) but using a Heavy Armor costume. Between life draining skills and dots on Siphoning and AoEs of darkness and Shadow clones from Shadow , you can actually get a good "Dark Knight" inspired character
    I also went Vampire for extra corpse looking pale skin.

Thematically its imo the closest thing to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are you using 2h instead of dw as magicka nightblade?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Why are you using 2h instead of dw as magicka nightblade?
    Because i want to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    Because i want to.
    But it's pointless. You are not using any of the abilities anyway, dual wield gives you more damage from the passives and you get an extra item in your equipment for one extra set bonus....

10+ Year Old Account
    But it's pointless. You are not using any of the abilities anyway, dual wield gives you more damage from the passives and you get an extra item in your equipment for one extra set bonus....
    Im aware of that, i carry dual wield for when i actually do content where that stuff matters. Which is almost never. I do trials and dungeons once on "story mode". I spend the majority of time on ESO questing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because i want to.
    Which is the correct answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Because i want to.
    Right answer there.

Eso is made to be played in different ways, there'll always be one build that's better, that's the case in every mmo out there. But that doesn't mean
    you'll be behind the Flavor of the month spec, just means you gotta work a bit harder.

BM hunters were really shitty through WotLK, yet I topped the damage through Ulduar, ICC and Naxx. It's all about skills

15+ Year Old Account
    But this isn't a "build discussion", it's a matter of gimping yourself for aesthetic/rp reasons. Using DW vs 2h in a magicka build has zero effect on the gameplay, just the numbers it produces.

I understand playing with 2h in a stamina build instead of DW, that is a build choice. 2h is considered inferior, but if you like it more than DW, go for it. But for magicka, it's just pointless.

Now it's Zenimax's fault it is this way and there doesn't even exist a melee magicka weapon, but it is what it is for the time being.

But this isn't a "build discussion", it's a matter of gimping yourself for aesthetic/rp reasons. Using DW vs 2h in a magicka build has zero effect on the gameplay, just the numbers it produces.

I understand playing with 2h in a stamina build instead of DW, that is a build choice. 2h is considered inferior, but if you like it more than DW, go for it. But for magicka, it's just pointless.

Now it's Zenimax's fault it is this way and there doesn't even exist a melee magicka weapon, but it is what it is for the time being.
    His point still stands. It's how he wants to play, he's paid for that right and has even stated he uses DW in situations where his performance actually matters ie group content. If he's mucking around by himself he can play however he wants...