Page 30 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Am i the only one sensing a repeat of 5 years ago?

Unless AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs 200$, aka 250e averagely in any EU country cause of taxes and performs actually better than any i5, no one will care and by better i mean, OC to 4.5Ghz averagely without requiring a watercooler.

I sense the same repeat of 5 years ago.

"Oh, you need power for video edit and audio etc?, nah not the 600e-1k CPU from intel, FX8350 does fine for 200$"

And after a few months were those people try to game and cry they dont perform as well as their friend with the i5 and they dont really care waiting 30 more mins for a video to render when they cant even play their game properly.

Lets hope they dont disappoint, got a few people waiting to see before they buy/build :/
    Last edited by potis; 2017-02-10 at 12:25 PM.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyle.../#ce06a5b6e7c2

is what is expected atm, but like always with leaks take with a spoon of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Am i the only one sensing a repeat of 5 years ago?
    Probably. Ryzen isn't going to end up like Bulldozer. What I'm worried about is that Ryzen ends up like the Athlon 64. Despite the Athlon 64 being faster, OEMs went for Intel's Pentium 4's, and they did because secretly Intel was making threats.

Though today the OEM market is shrinking while the PC gaming market is growing.
    Unless AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs 200$, aka 250e averagely in any EU country cause of taxes and performs actually better than any i5, no one will care and by better i mean, OC to 4.5Ghz averagely without requiring a watercooler.
    Well we know the 1700 is $319 according to rumors. Which pretty much destroys the entire i7 market. If these rumors are true, then I say the 1600X is $250. Which for a 6 core 12 thread CPU that performs like Skylake, that's a bargain. But like I've said in the past, it doesn't have to perform better, just be about Haswell performance while being cheaper. Looks like AMD is going to surpass my expectations, but who knows?

"Oh, you need power for video edit and audio etc?, nah not the 600e-1k CPU from intel, FX8350 does fine for 200$"

And after a few months were those people try to game and cry they dont perform as well as their friend with the i5 and they dont really care waiting 30 more mins for a video to render when they cant even play their game properly.

Lets hope they dont disappoint, got a few people waiting to see before they buy/build :/
    I'm using an FX 8350 and it works just fine. Most issues are related to the motherfuckin VRMs from motherboard manufacturers. Because the AM3+ socket has been around before Bulldozer was released, the VRMS on those boards weren't meant to handle the demands of the 8 core CPUs. The only boards that could handle these CPUs were the 990 and 990FX models. The 970 and 770 chipsets were almost always given low quality VRMs. Resulting in them getting really hot, beyond their specifications. Some makers even give their boards the names of 970 to indicate 970 chipset, when they really have a 770 in them.

And what would happen when they get too hot? A BSOD or the system resets? Nope, instead the VRMs throttle down the CPU to help keep them cool. Failed VRMs don't even show a problem either, unless you're like 1/3 the performance you're expecting. Motherboard manufacturers actually put in fail safes to avoid people recognizing there's a problem. I'm surprised there isn't massive class action lawsuits over this?

Couple the Bulldozers with bad motherboards with Windows 7 not being properly able to handle the CPUs without being patched, and yea the Bulldozer CPU looks much worse than it really was. Even Jayztwocents is surprised from the FX CPUs performance recently. But none of these issues are going to plague the RyZen CPUs. AM4 boards won't be given shit VRMs, and hopefully AMD will work with Microsoft for any driver or patch needed for the CPUS to work optimal.

- - - Updated - - -

AdoredTV think Intel is in a panic right now over RyZen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Pricing:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-lineup...cores-low-320/

Still out of the reach of most people but priced about where i expected them to be. Should drop pricing on intels 2011 stuff so there is that, but im more curious about AMD's 4c8t parts and how they stack up to i7's or i5's for gaming.
    I always suspected the 8 core to be out of reach for most people however most people couldn't utilise that type of chip so its bit of a waste really, however the lower core count chips is where its at right now, getting more and more people onto true quad core will be a big push, mean a sub £100 true quad core that at leasts competes with the stock skylake chips will be good.

Most people do not go into the bios to overclock anyways, which is probably why AMD implemented its CPU boost frequency tech to narrow this performance gap with overclocked chips, but I also want to see a dual core with 4 threads, wanting to build a SFF budget system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    I always suspected the 8 core to be out of reach for most people however most people couldn't utilise that type of chip so its bit of a waste really,..
    This. While the 8/16 core AMDs are definitely great and shake up that market, it is the 4 core CPU sector that matters for gamers, as games won't make use of those extra cores.

Unless we see a dramatic clock rate increase for those I think they will perform on the same level as the existing intel CPUs - great for people building new systems and of course good for AMD, but not really a reason to upgrade for people who already have a decent system (running an overclocked 3570k here).

ryzen stock coolers : http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpu-co...-65w-versions/

they look really good for stock cooler , not like the crap intell uses..

Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    ryzen stock coolers : http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpu-co...-65w-versions/

they look really good for stock cooler , not like the crap intell uses..
    Intel doesn't even ship a stock cooler anymore on the more expensive CPUs. And no, they didn't reduce the price of the CPU to compensate either.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700...hmarks-leaked/

Preliminary round of tests, doesn't say that much but it's a good start.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700...hmarks-leaked/

Preliminary round of tests, doesn't say that much but it's a good start.
    Personally AMD should of priced the 8 cores a bit higher, this way they can get more money, still cheaper then Intel, only power users and prosumers will be interested in those and they will pay the pretty penny more then your regular Joe, AMD did not need to start low, if they had this potential profit margin, they could of had a price war and lower prices if Intel did.

AMD need market share and actual money, I would of been fine to see the 8 cores go down to this price in a years - 2 years time, I am not worried how Intel will respond because imo they don't have anything due soon to counter it, mean they could still add a 6 core chip to the mainstream chipset but this still is a more expensive and wasteful chip to produce for that market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Personally AMD should of priced the 8 cores a bit higher, this way they can get more money, still cheaper then Intel, only power users and prosumers will be interested in those and they will pay the pretty penny more then your regular Joe, AMD did not need to start low, if they had this potential profit margin, they could of had a price war and lower prices if Intel did.

AMD need market share and actual money, I would of been fine to see the 8 cores go down to this price in a years - 2 years time, I am not worried how Intel will respond because imo they don't have anything due soon to counter it, mean they could still add a 6 core chip to the mainstream chipset but this still is a more expensive and wasteful chip to produce for that market.
    I disagree cause it's that aggressive pricing that got AMD in their poor situation to begin with. Even at those prices enthusiasts are going to have a hard time letting go of Intel. For a while AMD has always been just a little cheaper than their competitors and it hasn't worked out well for them. AMD is worrying about market share first, and pricing later. It's not like AMD's CPUs are going to be faster than Intels, at least nothing worth switching from an i5 or i7. People who need 8 core 16 thread CPUs already have them. People who want them, but can't afford them are the people AMD wants. Same goes for people who want 4 core 8 thread CPUs but can only afford i3's.

AMD isn't just fighting Intel's pricing, but a stagnated market as well. If they want people to spend money you have to give them a reason to upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tough to say. I've been NEEDING something with multi-threading for a few specific games, farting around with OBS as well as Unity. If I can get a CPU with 8 "threads", board & RAM for sub-$1000 CAD I'd be happy. But then I worry about compatibility with my 1080, I worry about Ryzen-specific issues, I worry about my PC being like "wait you need Windows again"...

My H60 is in need of a replacement after close to 5 years of up-time, so new CPU cooler as well. Ugh!

Unsure and undecided. Price is right for me for sure, but as always...gotta wait for benchmarks.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    But then I worry about compatibility with my 1080, I worry about Ryzen-specific issues, I worry about my PC being like "wait you need Windows again"...[/COLOR]
    I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about... There won't be any compatibility issues with your 1080, Zen SKUs need to pass validation so they will work as intended even if AMD has to turn off silicon to make it possible. They don't have time to change things anymore in the first few batches, so I don't really know what you mean by "Ryzen-specific issues". If you mean some programs not being optimised for it due to compiler shenanigans, Zen is supposed to be way better at AVX which is mainly what fucks AMD CPUs when you compile things with ICC. And about the "wait you need Windows again" I literally have no clue about what you mean =(

It should be fine though really, let's see how the benchmarks go once they're actually purchasable =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I disagree cause it's that aggressive pricing that got AMD in their poor situation to begin with. Even at those prices enthusiasts are going to have a hard time letting go of Intel. For a while AMD has always been just a little cheaper than their competitors and it hasn't worked out well for them. AMD is worrying about market share first, and pricing later. It's not like AMD's CPUs are going to be faster than Intels, at least nothing worth switching from an i5 or i7. People who need 8 core 16 thread CPUs already have them. People who want them, but can't afford them are the people AMD wants. Same goes for people who want 4 core 8 thread CPUs but can only afford i3's.

AMD isn't just fighting Intel's pricing, but a stagnated market as well. If they want people to spend money you have to give them a reason to upgrade.
    It's quite likely AMD will pull a Nissan. Take a loss on this generation of Zen chips and next year when they release the next step they will be more in line with expected costs. Just not expected costs at Intel levels, they've lose their minds over the past 10 years with these $1000 chips that just aren't worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    It's quite likely AMD will pull a Nissan. Take a loss on this generation of Zen chips and next year when they release the next step they will be more in line with expected costs. Just not expected costs at Intel levels, they've lose their minds over the past 10 years with these $1000 chips that just aren't worth it.
    Full Zen's die is smaller than Polaris 10, they're still making an insane profit even selling it at the prices they put. Way way better than what they used to get selling the old FX SKUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, the 1400X/1600X will be in my new PC I'm piecing together for next month (or early April) and I already ordered a few parts:

Fractal Mini C MATX case
    Two Corsair SP 120 B.LED fans
    Was going to get a custom cooler but the stock AMD one might be enough for now (I don't OC my CPU until a few months in anyway) plus it looks pretty cool tbh

Handing the old Fractal case, 2500k, ram, MB off to my cousin's cousin because he's using an old gaming laptop from 2010 and I can't stand that.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Full Zen's die is smaller than Polaris 10, they're still making an insane profit even selling it at the prices they put. Way way better than what they used to get selling the old FX SKUs.
    You have to take into consideration development costs of the chip itself, marketing etc... It's quite likely they won't start turning profits on these chips for quite some time. That's more what I was referring too. Making the chip itself never costs much, but taking the whole pie into consideration, at these prices... AMD is jamming it's foot back in the marketplace as not just an alternative but a contender for best manufacturer.

You have to take into consideration development costs of the chip itself, marketing etc... It's quite likely they won't start turning profits on these chips for quite some time. That's more what I was referring too. Making the chip itself never costs much, but taking the whole pie into consideration, at these prices... AMD is jamming it's foot back in the marketplace as not just an alternative but a contender for best manufacturer.
    At this point, AMD is more concerned about grabbing some market share back. Profits will come then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about... There won't be any compatibility issues with your 1080, Zen SKUs need to pass validation so they will work as intended even if AMD has to turn off silicon to make it possible. They don't have time to change things anymore in the first few batches, so I don't really know what you mean by "Ryzen-specific issues". If you mean some programs not being optimised for it due to compiler shenanigans, Zen is supposed to be way better at AVX which is mainly what fucks AMD CPUs when you compile things with ICC. And about the "wait you need Windows again" I literally have no clue about what you mean =(

It should be fine though really, let's see how the benchmarks go once they're actually purchasable =)
    I guess I'm just worried about some out-of-the-blue compatibility issues. We spoke when I bought my 390X and it had several issues specific to Fallout 4 and the UI, and the Crimson drivers didn't help. I want to see if there's any BS like that with their CPUs. You never know. *shrug*

And by the Windows thing, I mean what if Windows convinces itself that it's no longer genuine when everything but my GPU, Hard Drives & Power Suppy would be swapped out? Going from 4670K & DDR3 to R7 1700, new MoBo, new RAM etc. I've seen it happen, just another thing for me to worry about.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm just worried about some out-of-the-blue compatibility issues. We spoke when I bought my 390X and it had several issues specific to Fallout 4 and the UI, and the Crimson drivers didn't help. I want to see if there's any BS like that with their CPUs. You never know. *shrug*
    Yeah I remember it, sadly it didn't go well for you =(
    And by the Windows thing, I mean what if Windows convinces itself that it's no longer genuine when everything but my GPU, Hard Drives & Power Suppy would be swapped out? Going from 4670K & DDR3 to R7 1700, new MoBo, new RAM etc. I've seen it happen, just another thing for me to worry about.
    Ah! Got it now. Well I guess that's something to worry about if you have an OEM key, but I think you can always just call them to reactivate in most cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever the costs are, it's probably nothing compared to what Intel has spent. Intel has invested a lot of R&D into other markets they haven't been able to penetrate into. Also I don't think you realize how overpriced Intel CPUs are. Especially since Intel hasn't been putting that much R&D in their CPUs for some time. AMD has to because they have a lot of catching up to do.

Worst case scenario you reinstall Windows and give Microsoft a phone call.