No communication between screen and pc (new pc)

Hi there!

I've built a new PC, and finished it yday.

But for some reason, when I turned it on, the monitor kept showing "No signal",
    I've tried changing DVI Cables, HDMI cables and whatnot..

Took the RAM out, GPU out .. still nothing.

My MOBO shows orange light (amber), the power button works normal (white light).

The monitor works perfectly, I've connected it to my laptop, and it works just fine.

My specs:

NZXT S810
    Asus H110m-K
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980TI G1 Gaming
    HyperX Fury 8GB 2133MHZ X2
    Intel i7 7700
    Samsung EVO 850 500GB
    LG 24MP77HM IPS LED 24"

If anyone could please shed some light on this, I'd be grateful!
    I am completely out of ideas, tried using google and what not... can't find anything

Thanks in advance!

You have a Gen 7 (Kaby Lake) processor in an H110m chipset motherboard. You're most likely going to need a bios update for that combination to work.
    Signature not found

But it should show something,
    The fact I get the message "no communication" has nothing to do with the BIOS,
    or am I wrong ?

It should at least show the first screen, and tell me something like "your bios is out of date" or something like that..

If the BIOS doesn't have the right microcode needed for the new CPU it won't post at all. I recently bought an Asrock motherboard with the same chipset as yours and an i3-7100 and got the same exact thing you did. I had to contact Asrock and they mailed me a replacement BIOS chip.

EDIT: To be sure it's the BIOS sometimes they put a sticker with the BIOS version on the chip. It looks like your motherboard supports your CPU as of BIOS revision 3016

Last edited by alzoron; 2017-02-12 at 10:58 AM.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    If the BIOS doesn't have the right microcode needed for the new CPU it won't post at all. I recently bought an Asrock motherboard with the same chipset as yours and an i3-7100 and got the same exact thing you did. I had to contact Asrock and they mailed me a replacement BIOS chip.

EDIT: To be sure it's the BIOS sometimes they put a sticker with the BIOS version on the chip. It looks like your motherboard supports your CPU as of BIOS revision 3016

I know my motherboard supports the CPU, I've checked it before purchasing it.

I didn't quite understand your comment though :<

What does that mean?

just a quick post make sure you plug the cable in to your video card and not the on board video of the motherboard.
    otherwise you might have to contact Asus and ask them to send out a updated bios chip.
    As its most likely you got a "older" version of the motherboard that lacks the necessary bios upgrade to make the cpu work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    just a quick post make sure you plug the cable in to your video card and not the on board video of the motherboard.
    otherwise you might have to contact Asus and ask them to send out a updated bios chip.
    As its most likely you got a "older" version of the motherboard that lacks the necessary bios upgrade to make the cpu work with it.
    So if for example my BIOS (of the MOBO) is outdated, it means that the computer won't even start?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    So if for example my BIOS (of the MOBO) is outdated, it means that the computer won't even start?
    yes, you got a motherboard that was made for skylake CPU's (6000 series), and via a bios update also works for Kaby lake CPU's (7000 series) the downside is that you need a compatible CPU to flash the bios for most motherboards, which you do not have from the looks of it.

if you check pc particker website with your mobo and CPU you get the following warning "Some Intel H110 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs."

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    yes, you got a motherboard that was made for skylake CPU's (6000 series), and via a bios update also works for Kaby lake CPU's (7000 series) the downside is that you need a compatible CPU to flash the bios for most motherboards, which you do not have from the looks of it.

if you check pc particker website with your mobo and CPU you get the following warning "Some Intel H110 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs."
    Yes, I know,
    but still, there should be some visualization,
    Anything at all, even the ASUS logo, or anything.. something..

But the moment I turn the PC on, it just says no signal

Yes, I know,
    but still, there should be some visualization,
    Anything at all, even the ASUS logo, or anything.. something..

But the moment I turn the PC on, it just says no signal
    No, there shouldn't be some visualization. If BIOS can not recognize CPU, there will be NOTHING. The message you are getting is from the monitor itself, nothing to do with the PC, because the PC can not do ANYTHING AT ALL without a CPU. With a BIOS that does not recognize the CPU, it thinks there is no CPU so can't do anything at all.

probably because it's not recognising the CPU which is a critical part of the pc in order to start, not like an HDD or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No, there shouldn't be some visualization. If BIOS can not recognize CPU, there will be NOTHING. The message you are getting is from the monitor itself, nothing to do with the PC, because the PC can not do ANYTHING AT ALL without a CPU. With a BIOS that does not recognize the CPU, it thinks there is no CPU so can't do anything at all.
    Can I update it with a Skylake g4400 or does it have to be an i3/5/7 6xxx ?

Can I update it with a Skylake g4400 or does it have to be an i3/5/7 6xxx ?
    Yes, it's a 1151 socket CPU so it should be fine. Unless you are so unlucky that it too won't work before a BIOS update, but I don't think that's the case here.

And just as an off-chance, have you tried to connect your monitor to your integrated GPU? Does it show your mobo posting?
    If not it's probably the BIOS.

If yes, did you remember to plugin the extra power cord in your GTX 980?
    Does anyone else find it ironic that, as your virtual character gains experience, wealth and social stature, your reality character is losing the exact same things at the same rate?