Poll: Which Legendary system did you prefer, and would it have teamed well with Artifacts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Make the 50 essences you need a currency. retain the old quest for 50 to level up an legendary, introduce new quest for 500 of them to flat out buy a legendary. Remove legendary drops. problem solved.

My list from most fav to least fav legendary system:

• Guildbreakers #1: Sulfuras and others from Vanilla. Cool quest chains which require a lot of crafting and farming;
    • Guildbreakers #2: Shadowmourne from WotLK, and Tera's Staff from Cata. No crafting, have somewhat cool quest chains, also require killing raid bosses w/ special tactics.
    • TBC, Legions legendaries. Random drops;
    • MoP, WoD legendaries. Long quest chain that's available to everyone, everyone could complete relatively easily. They're just meh...

I REALLY like guildbreakers. They're the best legendaries, obv IMHO.

I would combine aspects of most styles: -

Fangs of the Father - but on personal loot for the raid gathering and challenging* solo content outside the raid.
    Val'anyr - for the mid-encounter shenanigans
    Thunderfury - for the raid mat/crafting mats requirement

...so about 2/3rds of the lifespan of the raid patch people who raid week in week out get a shiny orange related to that raid setting for their spec/class, and can involve any amount of solo questing outside the raid and some fanciful "Get Ony to breath on the sword" midencounter activity before it is complete. Make the "legendary affect" one that won't last into the next patch or work well in PvP (so eg. in Firelands could make it proc to deal X dmg or X% more dmg to Elementals; or give you 50% reduction from Fire damage; but the next raid patch is more shadow/frost heavy with demons/dragonkin rather than elementals)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by dabanks07 View Post
    Killing raid bosses is far more "legendary" than getting one to drop out of, say, a Val'sharah cache in which you caught squirrels/cracked nuts, played a shell game, helped trees grow, and marked birds for an old lady to shoot.
    But you still get legendaries from killing raid bosses. You can just get them from helping out the various factions in the world as well now, which has always felt like the heart and soul of WoW to me far moreso than raiding. Thematic preferences aside, though, I think the core idea of getting legendaries via pursuing whatever activity you want is infinitely better than grinding a specific niche of the game over and over again. There's nothing I dislike more in game design than hiding a shiny reward players really want behind an activity they don't necessarily enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    But you still get legendaries from killing raid bosses. You can just get them from helping out the various factions in the world as well now, which has always felt like the heart and soul of WoW to me far moreso than raiding. Thematic preferences aside, though, I think the core idea of getting legendaries via pursuing whatever activity you want is infinitely better than grinding a specific niche of the game over and over again. There's nothing I dislike more in game design than hiding a shiny reward players really want behind an activity they don't necessarily enjoy.
    IMO legendaries are too imbalanced to be appropriate for PVP and not necessary in non raid content. I'm completely find with needing to raid, at least on some level, to get a legendary.

Your point is moot in that you can never set foot in a raid and get your 4 legendaries. They literally come from ANY looting opportunity.

"which legendary system did you prefer" - shows the same system in two poll options...

It shoul've been something like:
    "RNG from world/quests/bosses" (Legion)
    "RNG from the boss drop" (TBC)
    "Epic quest lines" (Wotlk/Cata)
    "Quest line for everyone" (MoP/WoD)
    "A little bit of everything"(Vanilla)

But you still get legendaries from killing raid bosses.
    Of course you do, but that's not he point. It's like saying "well, you're earning money for being a lawyer(doing somehintg harder), but people who are washing toilets(doing something which require no brain) also earn the same money".

You can just get them from helping out the various factions in the world as well now, which has always felt like the heart and soul of WoW to me far moreso than raiding.
    I agree - but legendaries? They should've been for something LEGENDARY. Killing a dragon in a group is legendary achievement, gathering nuts? Killing 100 pigs? Not really.

There's nothing I dislike more in game design than hiding a shiny reward players really want behind an activity they don't necessarily enjoy.
    I want legendaries for duels. <= Same argument as yours.

Shiny rewards should be for doing hard-work, not for something you enjoy. They should require effort, and by that I don't mean time spent online.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-02-12 at 04:56 PM.

While TBC was one of my favorite expansions, it had my least favorite Legendary system. Getting a complete weapon or armor via RNG is so fucking boring.

I couldn't really get into the Draenor ring quest chain either, as it did not seem to have the same amount of challenge as the MoP cloak did.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely for the vanilla type of legendary system with crafting/questing and a real story behind the weapons. However I'm very against legendaries being gated behind raiding.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I'm definitely for the vanilla type of legendary system with crafting/questing and a real story behind the weapons. However I'm very against legendaries being gated behind raiding.
    Well if this kind of system is the answer to players whining about having to raid to get a legendary item, I'd rather have absolutely zero legendaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than you writing Thori'dal and not Val'nyr in the Wrath section, I would say that system that was used for these selected legendaries.

Shadowmourne
    Tarecgosa
    Fangs of the Father
    Cloaks
    Rings

If you don't fully understand the pattern. I want the items to be locked behind a multiple stage questline that demands you to do content, and lots of it, to achieve it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'd make a hybrid inbetween MoP and Legion.

Make utility legendaries random, and make 3 questchains with a lot of hard work for role-boosting ones.

As an example, for the Demon Hunter:

Make a Questline for the Head, one for the shoulders and one for the Ring. You can do all 3 questlines, but only one at the time, and you can only equip one at a time.

Have the others drop randomly. You have something to work towards combined with the joy of random drops.
    That could be really cool.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Other than you writing Thori'dal and not Val'nyr in the Wrath section, I would say that system that was used for these selected legendaries.

Shadowmourne
    Tarecgosa
    Fangs of the Father
    Cloaks
    Rings

If you don't fully understand the pattern. I want the items to be locked behind a multiple stage questline that demands you to do content, and lots of it, to achieve it.
    Isn't that what our Artifacts have become? I feel like our Artifacts are very much in line with the cloaks and rings, with the addition of oldskool talent trees. They could have called them our legendaries and left it at that.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I liked MoPs personally. And WoDs. Hope they go back to the system of earning it over the expansion personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    Isn't that what our Artifacts have become? I feel like our Artifacts are very much in line with the cloaks and rings, with the addition of oldskool talent trees. They could have called them our legendaries and left it at that.
    That it is, basically, though I wouldn't count them under as legendaries, really. They are a one time thing, and well, doesn't sound like their idea will carry on. The artifact feels more like, an heirloom. Someone had to pass it to us. And over half of us aren't really worthy of them anyways, but we were the 'better' choice till a better person appears.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the Legion system the most.

Wrath and Cataclysm for sure.

Pandaria/WoD + artifacts. Essentially everyone gets the BiS legendaries and the lore associated with it. No "RNG - sorry, better luck next time in 4 months" - bullshit. The artifact weapons are their own thing, which I quite like, though personally I I kinda miss having a chance to collect some awsome transmogs for my character because they are now class specific (corrupted ashbringer for example).
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-02-12 at 06:03 PM.

For all I care they can make open world PvE legendaries with cool effects that can be obtained via solo questing. I have no problem with that. I just want to see an epic, extensive, lore-filled quest line to get to that point. Same goes for PvP, I know it would make for terribly balancing in PvP with the way they are now trying to normalize everything but letting them have a PvP based legendary that gives them bonuses during PvP content would be cool. Let them give you waterwalking while mounted in BGs so you can use any mount you want, let it be a perma flask/food buff anytime you enter a BG, anything is fine. By the same token let the raid legendaries only take effect in a raid, I'm not picky. I just think having random Legendaries dropping from doing nonsense quests that have nothing to do with them just feels horrible. For example I'm a Paladin and I got the Chain of Thrayn out of a random emissary cache. Who is Thrayn? No clue. Apparently some old champion of Valhalas. What was so important about this chain? Where did it get it's power? It's nothing more than a class trinket tossed to me because my RNG said it should go to me at that point. Same goes for my Uther's Guard. Uther, the legendary Paladin, apparently lost his bracers while wandering around Suramar and Thalyssra thought they would make a pretty present for me.
    Last edited by dabanks07; 2017-02-12 at 06:19 PM.

All of them up till pandaland were fine to me. If I had to choose a specific system then I would go with Shadowmourne/cataclysm. There's nothing legendary about everyone getting the same cloak and ring. There's also nothing legendary about opening your 37th emissary box and getting 1 of 8 legendaries with half of them being useless.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    This one for sure. It has two major flaws imo, but it's still infinitely better than the original "you'll be lucky to see one in a 40 man guild" and preferable to "everyone gets the exact same one at roughly the same time."

The thing I love about this one is how it incentivizes you to keep doing stuff and how fun it feels to finally get the one you want. But I totally recognize how it feels shitty if you never get it.
    The current legenday system feels like you just ignore legendarys altogether, and then every once in a great while a legendary drops out of the sky onto your head and you're like "ooooooo kay...."
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.