High School Fleet 3: rip sub

This is so addicting holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    X3 will never happen, since X2 finished the LN, which is the source material. There is a sequel series to Durarara, again a LN, but it has a new cast of main characters. I doubt it will ever be animated though, since X2 didn't sell that well compared to the original. Though if you include merch, the low production values, and the popularity of DRRR overall, there is a possibility.
    I'm surprised X2 wasn't as popular. Is that worldwide, or just in the West? It wasn't as popular in the East, either? Did they just not advertise it enough, were there not enough DRRR fans aware of its release?

As much as I'd love X3, I'll admit that it being an entirely new cast is a bit of a turnoff. Getting new main characters in X2 is about as far as I'd like to see it go. Even some of the new ones seemed a bit squeezed in just for the sake of it (but I don't read the Manga; maybe they were more relevant there). If X3 is entirely new characters, to me it'd just be an entirely new show that happened to take place in the same city rather than a continuation. If there are new characters, they had to leave SOME old ones, right? How could it be DRRR without Celty, Shinra, etc? I guess I can understand not having Mikado, Masaomi, etc, but definitely not Celty! I love my Celty. I wanted to get a helmet for my motorcycle that looks like hers, but my friends told me the ear-style helmets are for females and that I'd look dumb I'm still considering it, though. Fuck 'em!

Also, unrelated question -- any time I've seen pictures of the Manga, many of the characters look the same, such as Izaya. With them, I often see a blonde kit with a bowl cut. Is that Masaomi? Does he look a lot different and have a bowl cut in the Manga? If so, why would most (if not all) of the characters look the same aside from him? Isn't the point of turning a manga into an anime to have the characters relatively the same for the fans who transition from one to the other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I'm surprised X2 wasn't as popular. Is that worldwide, or just in the West? It wasn't as popular in the East, either? Did they just not advertise it enough, were there not enough DRRR fans aware of its release?

As much as I'd love X3, I'll admit that it being an entirely new cast is a bit of a turnoff. Getting new main characters in X2 is about as far as I'd like to see it go. Even some of the new ones seemed a bit squeezed in just for the sake of it (but I don't read the Manga; maybe they were more relevant there). If X3 is entirely new characters, to me it'd just be an entirely new show that happened to take place in the same city rather than a continuation. If there are new characters, they had to leave SOME old ones, right? How could it be DRRR without Celty, Shinra, etc? I guess I can understand not having Mikado, Masaomi, etc, but definitely not Celty! I love my Celty. I wanted to get a helmet for my motorcycle that looks like hers, but my friends told me the ear-style helmets are for females and that I'd look dumb I'm still considering it, though. Fuck 'em!

Also, unrelated question -- any time I've seen pictures of the Manga, many of the characters look the same, such as Izaya. With them, I often see a blonde kit with a bowl cut. Is that Masaomi? Does he look a lot different and have a bowl cut in the Manga? If so, why would most (if not all) of the characters look the same aside from him? Isn't the point of turning a manga into an anime to have the characters relatively the same for the fans who transition from one to the other?
    It mainly wasn't as popular in the East, which is the only demographic that the anime industry cares about. It probably still had a large following in the West, but nothing compared to season 1 for the East. Each cour for x2 sold between 2.4-4.6k volumes average, which is a fraction of the 24k average the original series has (including one re-release). You can add merchandise to that, but it still lost a lot of its fanbase since season 1 aired a while back. DRRR used to be incredibly popular when season 1 aired. I believe it was the most popular show of that season.

The story for the original series ends completely in x2, so an x3 would have to have a new cast, with maybe some returning. I haven't read the LN though, so I don't know how it goes.

Also, the manga is substandard in comparison. I wouldn't compare anything to the manga, as it's essentially just a money grab, like many manga based off of LNs. If you want what the characters are supposed to originally look like, I would check out the LN art. Anime often will change how characters look to adapt them for animation, some more than others. Just look at Youjo Senki from this season.

You'll see more accurate representations of characters if they are adapted from a manga, but the anime was not adapted from the manga, but from the LN, where there isn't as much source material for art as a manga would have, and it's easier to take liberties in character design.

For comparison, here are some covers from the LN, which would have the original designs for characters.

Volume 1
    Volume 3
    Volume 9

If you are interested in reading the sequel series, titled Durarara!! SH, there are 4 volumes out, and you can find translations online.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2017-02-13 at 03:39 AM.

I get that the story ended, but DRRR seemed like the perfect "world" for further adaptations, even with the original cast. The multiple plots, character development, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult for those characters to get into another situation. Saika, the woman that had her own more powerful Saika, etc.

Celty got her head back, but then "lost" it again and it's now being held overseas. I understand that the "hunt for her head" aspect is now resolved, but honestly that was a part of so few episodes even if it was a constant underlying theme.

The world of Ikebukero seemed so colorful and there were so many unique stories that I just don't see having more tales as being unforeseeable. Now, if it comes down to the economics of it, that I can understand.

If for whatever reason X2 had been more popular and there was TREMENDOUS demand for X3, I'm just saying that it's certainly the sort of cut and dry ending that leaves no room for expansion. And, as a fan, of course I'm going to cry myself to sleep because there won't be any

I was upset when I ran out of episodes of AoT, but I can look forward to eventually seeing more (although it got mainstream pretty fast). I also ended up liking Blue Exorcist more than I expected, and was a bit down when that ended (at least in terms of episodes I could get) as well.

Oh, the Magi shows! Magi the Kingdom of Magic and whatever the second one was; loved them. I *think* there were more to come or they may already be out, but nothing I could find in regards to English. I REALLY want to watch Sinbad in English. I saw the first 3 or 4 subbed, and I'm really glad I did because it made it a lot more awesome when he showed up in Magi, but I can't find a reliable English source of that, either.

If there are any great shows you can suggest, let me know. English dubs *heavily* preferred.
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-02-13 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that the story ended, but DRRR seemed like the perfect "world" for further adaptations, even with the original cast. The multiple plots, character development, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult for those characters to get into another situation. Saika, the woman that had her own more powerful Sakia, etc.

Celty got her head back, but then "lost" it again and it's now being held overseas. I understand that the "hunt for her head" aspect is there, but honestly that was a part of so few episodes even if it was a constant underlying theme.

The world of Ikebukero seemed so colorful and there were so many unique stories that I just don't see having more tales as being unforeseeable. Now, if it comes down to the economics of it, that I can understand.

If for whatever reason X2 had been more popular and there was TREMENDOUS demand for X3, I'm just saying that it's certainly the sort of cut and dry ending that leaves no room for expansion. And, as a fan, of course I'm going to cry myself to sleep because there won't be any

I was upset when I ran out of episodes of AoT, but I can look forward to eventually seeing more (although it got mainstream pretty fast). I also ended up liking Blue Exorcist more than I expected, and was a bit down when that ended (at least in terms of episodes I could get) as well.

Oh, the Magi shows! Magi the Kingdom of Magic and whatever the second one was; loved them. I *think* there were more to come or they may already be out, but nothing I could find in regards to English. I REALLY want to watch Sinbad in English. I saw the first 3 or 4 subbed, and I'm really glad I did because it made it a lot more awesome when he showed up in Magi, but I can't find a reliable English source of that, either.

If there are any great shows you can suggest, let me know. English dubs *heavily* preferred.
    Make sure to use spoiler tags for spoilers. We're hard about it here.

Ikebukero is definitely one of my favorite settings. DRRR is in my top 5 easily. I'd love to see more adapted, but I don't see it happening. The best way to keep experiencing it is reading the novels.

There have also been plenty of shows that sold exceptionally well, but never got a season 2. Even more than sales, it has to do with the politics in the industry, and how production committees operate. Almost every studio has no say in what they make beyond being able to deny something (Shaft and KyoAni being notable exceptions).

Blue Exorcist's season 2 is currently airing, but it picks up where the manga stopped being adapted in the first season (episode 18, everything after is anime original and now no longer canon).

Magi is also a top 5 show for me. Many here would love a season 3, but it's becoming less and less likely, especially as the manga wraps up. I recommend reading the manga, as the story gets a hundred times better where season 2 leaves off.

I also recommend trying to wean yourself off of dubs. Essentially no one here watches dubs, for good reason. You'll also find a large majority of the overall community doesn't watch dubs. You'll have a much wider selection of shows, many of which will never find dubs, and objectively better voice acting (also having to do with the economics of things. Funimation recycles the same two dozen VAs for almost every show, and it pays low compared to the hundreds of VAs and growing in Japan fighting just to be in a single show to put their name out there).

Make sure to use spoiler tags for spoilers. We're hard about it here.

Ikebukero is definitely one of my favorite settings. DRRR is in my top 5 easily. I'd love to see more adapted, but I don't see it happening. The best way to keep experiencing it is reading the novels.

There have also been plenty of shows that sold exceptionally well, but never got a season 2. Even more than sales, it has to do with the politics in the industry, and how production committees operate. Almost every studio has no say in what they make beyond being able to deny something (Shaft and KyoAni being notable exceptions).

Blue Exorcist's season 2 is currently airing, but it picks up where the manga stopped being adapted in the first season (episode 18, everything after is anime original and now no longer canon).

Magi is also a top 5 show for me. Many here would love a season 3, but it's becoming less and less likely, especially as the manga wraps up. I recommend reading the manga, as the story gets a hundred times better where season 2 leaves off.

I also recommend trying to wean yourself off of dubs. Essentially no one here watches dubs, for good reason. You'll also find a large majority of the overall community doesn't watch dubs. You'll have a much wider selection of shows, many of which will never find dubs, and objectively better voice acting (also having to do with the economics of things. Funimation recycles the same two dozen VAs for almost every show, and it pays low compared to the hundreds of VAs and growing in Japan fighting just to be in a single show to put their name out there).
    Sorry about the spoiler thing, fixed. I dunno what I was thinking, sometimes I forgot not everybody's watched it!

As for dubs vs subs, I *completely* get why people prefer subs. I actually watch TV with subs on at all times; my girlfriend got used to it and does the same thing too. I'm not hard of hearing or anything, but for some reason I find it more... comfortable? There are always times I can't quite tell what somebody is saying or other various things, and I just love having the sort of audio confirmation at the bottom.

When I have to watch the subs the entire time, however, I find it too distracting. My problem is that I feel like I'm looking away from the actual show too much. I read (and type) *incredibly* fast, multiple times faster than the average person, and have since... man, 3rd grade, maybe? Even still, I just feel like my eyes are darting up and down like a madman and that I'm constantly pausing/rewinding to constantly compensating for something I *just* missed. If the subs were more inline, it'd be different.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and considering building a new sub plugin for VLC, and any other platform possible; more effort would go into people making subs and they would have to specifically design them to work with it, but it would basically add speech bubbles to the show. When somebody speaks, instead of having the typical text at the bottom of the screen there would actually be speech coming out of their mouths, each bubble specifically positioned to that while it was relative to the speaker it was always out of the way of anything relevant. I figured that having this and never needing to look in a dramatically different area would help me, so maybe it would help others that aren't fans of subbed content.

Regardless, I have watched some stuff with subs, I just prefer the dub. If I have no choice but subs and it's a show I really want to watch, I'll do it.

And as much as you miss out with dubs, aren't there official dubs that are pretty high quality in terms of translation? I'm assuming that a lot of words are changed around to match mouth movements, but that in general the higher quality ones go very far out of their way to make sure it's a consistent meaning, and they rarely change an overall and larger story element to compensate (basically, they'd rather have mouth movement be inconsistent than change the meaning too much, which you can definitely see at times).

With the tech today, and especially with the prevalence of animes being created with more and more computer-aided design, you'd think that when a show reaches the west they would simply redo the mouth portions. Hell, maybe they're doing that already with some. If that were the case, if the mouth were its own layer that could be adjusted per-language, would there then be any real downside to dubs assuming they could adjust things and bring a *precise* translation?
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-02-13 at 04:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry about the spoiler thing, fixed. I dunno what I was thinking, sometimes I forgot not everybody's watched it!

As for dubs vs subs, I *completely* get why people prefer subs. I actually watch TV with subs on at all times; my girlfriend got used to it and does the same thing too. I'm not hard of hearing or anything, but for some reason I find it more... comfortable? There are always times I can't quite tell what somebody is saying or other various things, and I just love having the sort of audio confirmation at the bottom.

When I have to watch the subs the entire time, however, I find it too distracting. My problem is that I feel like I'm looking away from the actual show too much. I read (and type) *incredibly* fast, multiple times faster than the average person, and have since... man, 3rd grade, maybe? Even still, I just feel like my eyes are darting up and down like a madman and that I'm constantly pausing/rewinding to constantly compensating for something I *just* missed. If the subs were more inline, it'd be different.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and considering building a new sub plugin for VLC, and any other platform possible; more effort would go into people making subs and they would have to specifically design them to work with it, but it would basically add speech bubbles to the show. When somebody speaks, instead of having the typical text at the bottom of the screen there would actually be speech coming out of their mouths, each bubble specifically positioned to that while it was relative to the speaker it was always out of the way of anything relevant. I figured that having this and never needing to look in a dramatically different area would help me, so maybe it would help others that aren't fans of subbed content.

Regardless, I have watched some stuff with subs, I just prefer the dub. If I have no choice but subs and it's a show I really want to watch, I'll do it.

And as much as you miss out with dubs, aren't there official dubs that are pretty high quality in terms of translation? I'm assuming that a lot of words are changed around to match mouth movements, but that in general the higher quality ones go very far out of their way to make sure it's a consistent meaning, and they rarely change an overall and larger story element to compensate (basically, they'd rather have mouth movement be inconsistent than change the meaning too much, which you can definitely see at times).

With the tech today, and especially with the prevalence of animes being created with more and more computer-aided design, you'd think that when a show reaches the west they would simply redo the mouth portions. Hell, maybe they're doing that already with some. If that were the case, if the mouth were its own layer that could be adjusted per-language, would there then be any real downside to dubs assuming they could adjust things and bring a *precise* translation?
    I was the same early on. I can find posts in the previous thread where I thought watching subs was the worst thing ever, and dubs was more natural, so I totally understand. I would still force yourself to start watching subs. Choose some shows that you can't find dubbed so you don't feel conflicted, and before you know it you'll only watch subs and wonder why people ever even would want to watch shows dubbed, even if they were available.

Lots of practice though. You get to the point where you aren't even really looking at the subs, and they're in the corner of your eye. I hardly even read it, and just glancing at the sentence and I see what they're saying. It's gotten to the point I've forgotten I'm actually reading at all while watching anime, though I've seen hundreds of shows subbed since I switched over.

I also recommend using MPC-HC, as the playback and features are much better than VLC. The best version is the CCCP codec pack which has MPC-HC bundled, as it is made for anime, especially subbed anime.

The only dubs I would say are decent would be Ghibli ones, as those have Disney's money behind them and actual Hollywood actors voicing the characters, not a couple people they picked up off the streets and ended up keeping for every show they do (aka Funimation). Even then I'm not a fan of Disney's Ghibli dubs, as the voices in the original Japanese version are much better, and also stay true to the intent of the director. The anime director is there when the voicing is happening and can change inflections and the like, unlike when the show is being dubbed, so a lot of that can be lost in translation.

Funimation is not a big company. They can hardly have the selection of voice actors they do have, which is why they recycle them so much. Re-editing the show to match the English voices would not only be a massive waste of money for something so small that many would not notice or care about, but it would also most liekly anger the anime industry, which is already not too caring for Funimation or even Crunchyroll.

Not even Disney does it, and they're filthy rich, but I think that's more Miyazaki's elitism at play, along with Ghibli films being hand drawn.

Most anime are still 90%+ hand drawn. Even in-betweens are done, just outsourced by smaller studios. Layering mouth on top would most likely look either extremely strange, or be impossible. In America it would be easier, as essentially every show here is now near pure CG.

I was the same early on. I can find posts in the previous thread where I thought watching subs was the worst thing ever, and dubs was more natural, so I totally understand. I would still force yourself to start watching subs. Choose some shows that you can't find dubbed so you don't feel conflicted, and before you know it you'll only watch subs and wonder why people ever even would want to watch shows dubbed, even if they were available.

Lots of practice though. You get to the point where you aren't even really looking at the subs, and they're in the corner of your eye. I hardly even read it, and just glancing at the sentence and I see what they're saying. It's gotten to the point I've forgotten I'm actually reading at all while watching anime, though I've seen hundreds of shows subbed since I switched over.

I also recommend using MPC-HC, as the playback and features are much better than VLC. The best version is the CCCP codec pack which has MPC-HC bundled, as it is made for anime, especially subbed anime.

The only dubs I would say are decent would be Ghibli ones, as those have Disney's money behind them and actual Hollywood actors voicing the characters, not a couple people they picked up off the streets and ended up keeping for every show they do (aka Funimation). Even then I'm not a fan of Disney's Ghibli dubs, as the voices in the original Japanese version are much better, and also stay true to the intent of the director. The anime director is there when the voicing is happening and can change inflections and the like, unlike when the show is being dubbed, so a lot of that can be lost in translation.

Funimation is not a big company. They can hardly have the selection of voice actors they do have, which is why they recycle them so much. Re-editing the show to match the English voices would not only be a massive waste of money for something so small that many would not notice or care about, but it would also most liekly anger the anime industry, which is already not too caring for Funimation or even Crunchyroll.

Not even Disney does it, and they're filthy rich, but I think that's more Miyazaki's elitism at play, along with Ghibli films being hand drawn.

Most anime are still 90%+ hand drawn. Even in-betweens are done, just outsourced by smaller studios. Layering mouth on top would most likely look either extremely strange, or be impossible. In America it would be easier, as essentially every show here is now near pure CG.
    Wow, I can't believe they still manually do in-betweens. I just watched some documentary on Netflix a few weeks ago about some guy who's huge at Disney; it's an older black genteman that started working here as a kid, doing just that for a while - in betweens. He is now retired but still goes to the studio every day to stuff. I'm sure somebody here will know who I'm talking about, it was a nice doc.

Anyways, as you've watched more and more subbed episodes do you find yourself learning or at least understanding Japanese better? Hearing certain words/phrases where you don't even need to read the subs? I'm really interested in learning Japanese and want to go there to visit at some point in my life, and desperately hope it's while I'm still young. If I could genuinely learn the language, hell, I'd move there or at least go for an extended year+ visit. It's always been incredibly interesting to me. Now that I think about it, watching subbed anime couldn't possible hurt in terms of learning the language. Compared to where you were a year ago (or whenever you started), do you find you have an innate understanding of some Japanese, at least commonly used phrases?

The same goes for the written word; are you able to read any of the characters that they display during the title sequence or on signs and other stuff during an episode? Hell, you could look at subbed anime as an almost educational form of television.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I can't believe they still manually do in-betweens. I just watched some documentary on Netflix a few weeks ago about some guy who's huge at Disney; it's an older black genteman that started working here as a kid, doing just that for a while - in betweens. He is now retired but still goes to the studio every day to stuff. I'm sure somebody here will know who I'm talking about, it was a nice doc.

Anyways, as you've watched more and more subbed episodes do you find yourself learning or at least understanding Japanese better? Hearing certain words/phrases where you don't even need to read the subs? I'm really interested in learning Japanese and want to go there to visit at some point in my life, and desperately hope it's while I'm still young. If I could genuinely learn the language, hell, I'd move there or at least go for an extended year+ visit. It's always been incredibly interesting to me. Now that I think about it, watching subbed anime couldn't possible hurt in terms of learning the language. Compared to where you were a year ago (or whenever you started), do you find you have an innate understanding of some Japanese, at least commonly used phrases?

The same goes for the written word; are you able to read any of the characters that they display during the title sequence or on signs and other stuff during an episode? Hell, you could look at subbed anime as an almost educational form of television.
    I think it is possible to get a rudimentary understanding of Japanese by watching anime for a long time, but only broken, like a child watching TV for hours a day, though worse because it's a secondary language so you're conflicting it with the one you have. Phrases here and there, something that you could use if you went to Japan to get by. Nothing on taking an actual course or actually focusing on learning the language though. Anime would be a great supplement alongside learning, since hearing the language and focusing on what they're saying is one of the biggest parts to learning and keeping a language.

The best way would be to take classes, use Rosetta Stone (if you must, but it requires actually using it, not having it sit on a shelf), supplement with watching Japanese media, and study lots, and then go to Japan and use it. Using a language in the country of origin, no matter the country, is much faster than learning it outside, since it requires you to use the language each and every day.

I think there are a few here who have a good grasp on Japanese, and learned a lot from anime, but I can guarantee they will say they used anime mainly as a supplement, and learned the language from other sources.

I took a course myself, though only one semester. I would actually say for myself I learned more phrases from anime than I did the class, but I learned more about semantics in the language, and things like counting and objects in the class. Though I've been watching subbed anime for almost 5 years now.

In terms of writing, I learned absolutely nothing from anime, and all of what I know came from the class I took.

Overall, if you do want to learn Japanese, watching subbed anime will do nothing but help you. Just realize that how it sounds is a lot different when you hear it from an actual Japanese person than in anime, and there are phrases in anime that are rarely if ever used in everyday Japanese conversation.

Language learning from subs: You won't learn it from subs, it helps but you can't learn a language solely with subs.

<- ESL who has been watching English movies and shows with subs for his whole life.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2017-02-13 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Floyd Norman? Sweet, something to watch later.

As for watching the subbed versions to learn the language, you'll mostly just come to recognise certain phrases, not truly learn Japanese. Supplement watching with truly trying to learn the language. I've been watching subbed shows since I could get fansubbed VHS tapes in the 90s and while my Japanese understanding is definitely above average, I couldn't really write or read it and still struggle with a lot of the language itself. If I put a proper effort into learning, I'd be much better off but... you know, effort
    Yep! That's him, was right on the tip of my tongue. It was definitely a good one.

The other one I really liked, surprisingly, was the one about the guy that is Elmo. I think it's called "The life of Elmo" or something. Maybe just "Elmo"? I don't know, it's on Netflix. It's a great story about a black kid coming up and having a dream that was, obviously, different than everybody else. Honestly I think luck played a bit of a part, but he just happened to be growing up at the perfect time to do what he wanted and now he literally RUNS Sesame Street. I had no idea that the guy that is Elmo's voice (and his puppeteer, although I think he does that less now?) runs the entire show, and he got to that point literally from working his way up from the very bottom. Both of them are good docs for when you're looking for something to watch and can't find anything, for sure.

I think it is possible to get a rudimentary understanding of Japanese by watching anime for a long time, but only broken, like a child watching TV for hours a day, though worse because it's a secondary language so you're conflicting it with the one you have. Phrases here and there, something that you could use if you went to Japan to get by. Nothing on taking an actual course or actually focusing on learning the language though. Anime would be a great supplement alongside learning, since hearing the language and focusing on what they're saying is one of the biggest parts to learning and keeping a language.

The best way would be to take classes, use Rosetta Stone (if you must, but it requires actually using it, not having it sit on a shelf), supplement with watching Japanese media, and study lots, and then go to Japan and use it. Using a language in the country of origin, no matter the country, is much faster than learning it outside, since it requires you to use the language each and every day.

I think there are a few here who have a good grasp on Japanese, and learned a lot from anime, but I can guarantee they will say they used anime mainly as a supplement, and learned the language from other sources.

I took a course myself, though only one semester. I would actually say for myself I learned more phrases from anime than I did the class, but I learned more about semantics in the language, and things like counting and objects in the class. Though I've been watching subbed anime for almost 5 years now.

In terms of writing, I learned absolutely nothing from anime, and all of what I know came from the class I took.

Overall, if you do want to learn Japanese, watching subbed anime will do nothing but help you. Just realize that how it sounds is a lot different when you hear it from an actual Japanese person than in anime, and there are phrases in anime that are rarely if ever used in everyday Japanese conversation.
    Yeah, I actually have Rosetta Stone downloaded, with... Japanese, Italian, and Spanish I think? I did just that - got it and never used it. I didn't have to pay for it, though (not pirated, just friends in "high places"), so it doesn't feel like AS big a waste... but I should probably get on that if I'm going to start watching some subbed anime, like you said it'll probably go quite well together. I've learned a lot about their social structure already; when it's appropriate to use a first name or not (I'm still a bit confused as it changes up sometimes, but I do understand you use the last to be respectful and the first is more familiar but is disrespectful when used towards somebody that doesn't feel you know them well enough or are "beneath" them socially), the bowing, how they're somewhat overly apologetic (but its as a sign of respect, still). I really like the way they act, honestly, as if honor and mutual respect are still very important to them while they mean relatively nothing here in the US now. Some of it might seem a little odd, and honestly some *is* a bit overkill, but in general I'm a fan. Now I'm wondering how accurate it is in anime; for a show like Durarara!! for example, ignoring the extreme and supernatural elements, isn't it meant to represent life in a somewhat normal city? So, the way people interact (especially strangers) pretty similar to real life, or is it totally overstated?

I appreciate all the feedback from you guys. This is a great thread and I'll say it again - I really think there should be an Anime forum. There's clearly enough demand for it, and having the extra organization and allowing there to be threads for discussion on specific shows, megathreads for events, specific mods for it... out of everything here I feel could use a new forum, I really think you guys deserve one.
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-02-13 at 08:06 AM.

Black Elmo guy is Kevin Clash. Really cool guy, got to know him a bit when I worked on set building for Elmo in Grouchland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I'm wondering how accurate it is in anime; for a show like Durarara!! for example, ignoring the extreme and supernatural elements, isn't it meant to represent life in a somewhat normal city? So, the way people interact (especially strangers) pretty similar to real life, or is it totally overstated?
    Anime in general is overstated. Even if it tries to be more realistic, like you may see in the recent Hibike! Euphonium, there's still quite a lot of overstatement in how characters act in general. Japanese themselves are far more withdrawn, much more than Americans, and in anime I see the average character as far more boisterous than I see anyone in real life acting. Sans me watching anime. As you can probably guess, people don't go around in Japan yelling "kisama!" at each other.

In DRRR it'll be the same, though I do think characters act pretty familiar to what I'll see in real life, at least on a friend to friend basis. Definitely less drama and less shenanigans in real life, but similar attitudes, demeanor's, and even dialogue. Though people wouldn't interact with strangers, especially in Japan, as much as they do in DRRR.

Off Topic: Wiped 3 times on a mission in GW1, every time near or at the very end, and had to reset from the beginning. It's triggering as fuck. Mainly because the AI in the game clips on terrain and can't get through to attack what you're attacking, and end up dying. I love the game, but shit like that is the worst.

Me right now -
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2017-02-13 at 09:26 AM.

As you can probably guess, people don't go around in Japan yelling "kisama!" at each other.
    TEMEEEEE!
    10char

Yeah, that makes sense. Another thing I've noticed is the food always looks great in Anime, even when I know it's just rice with a seaweed wrap or whatever. I remember being a kid and thinking pizza in cartoons looked *amazing* (I can specifically remember the pizza in "A Goofy Movie" looking incredible), but some of this food I see in Anime is just great. It's to the extent that I actually ordered a bunch of ingredients from Japan on a whim. Now I've got a BUNCH of Miso and tons of other stuff (like those fish flakes you soak in water... is that Kombu? Kombu might be something else, I can't remember) just sitting unused in my kitchen. The only store I used also said "free gift with purchase" and I was expecting some tiny thing - they sent me literally like 9 bonus candies and cookies and stuff, almost more items than I had purchased. Some of it is crazy and weird, but a few things are great, like this huge box of individual packets of Hello Kitty "biscuits" with strawberry filling -- amazing. They sure do love their Hello Kitty. So does my girlfriend, obsessively. I want to get some bento boxes now and make an authentic japanese lunch with these ingredients :3 SO much prep time though, Jesus!

Back to Anime; I've gotten some great suggestions here, thanks! Are there any "must watch" shows that I'm missing out on? I'm talking Anime that you'd assume most people in this thread have watched, something so good and perhaps influential that it's... well, a must-watch. A friend told me about "My Neighbor Totoro" and said it's a must watch -- in fact, he's the owner/developer of a pretty major game and when I was an Administrator he edited my title from "Admin" to "Totoro", which is how it came up. Anything else, and any confirmation on this Totoro show/movie (I think it's a movie, right?) being worthwhile? As for my original question, movies are great too. Another movie I think I need to watch... Akira? Is that it? I'm thinking of something where there's some sort of infection or maybe tech integration and a kid's arm explodes or something, right? That's as much as I remember.

Oh, and I need to watch FLCL! My gf was OBSESSED with it; she's the one that showed me Elfen Lied, which I absolutely *love*, but I only got one or two episodes into FLCL and thought it was kinda dumb. I think it's time for a second chance, is FLCL well-liked here?

I keep making these long posts of random ramblings and then 20 questions, sorry! I'm ADD, and even moreso forum-ADD

Back to Anime; I've gotten some great suggestions here, thanks! Are there any "must watch" shows that I'm missing out on? I'm talking Anime that you'd assume most people in this thread have watched, something so good and perhaps influential that it's... well, a must-watch. A friend told me about "My Neighbor Totoro" and said it's a must watch -- in fact, he's the owner/developer of a pretty major game and when I was an Administrator he edited my title from "Admin" to "Totoro", which is how it came up. Anything else, and any confirmation on this Totoro show/movie (I think it's a movie, right?) being worthwhile? As for my original question, movies are great too. Another movie I think I need to watch... Akira? Is that it? I'm thinking of something where there's some sort of infection or maybe tech integration and a kid's arm explodes or something, right? That's as much as I remember.
    Shinsekai Yori.
    check the thread OP for more.

And yeah, Totoro is worth it. It's a classic.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2017-02-13 at 09:59 AM.

Now I've got a BUNCH of Miso and tons of other stuff (like those fish flakes you soak in water... is that Kombu? Kombu might be something else, I can't remember) just sitting unused in my kitchen. The only store I used also said "free gift with purchase" and I was expecting some tiny thing - they sent me literally like 9 bonus candies and cookies and stuff, almost more items than I had purchased. Some of it is crazy and weird, but a few things are great, like this huge box of individual packets of Hello Kitty "biscuits" with strawberry filling -- amazing. They sure do love their Hello Kitty. So does my girlfriend, obsessively. I want to get some bento boxes now and make an authentic japanese lunch with these ingredients :3 SO much prep time though, Jesus!
    Those fish flakes should be Katsuobushi/bonito flakes, Kombu is seaweed. You aren't the only person in here ordering Japanese ingredients, I do so on a regular basis as well, and Zath did so too for a while. JP has a lot of weird stuff, or flavors when it comes to candy which you wouldn't find anywhere else. You should weeb up and try some Ramune.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Those fish flakes should be Katsuobushi/bonito flakes, Kombu is seaweed. You aren't the only person in here ordering Japanese ingredients, I do so on a regular basis as well, and Zath did so too for a while. JP has a lot of weird stuff, or flavors when it comes to candy which you wouldn't find anywhere else. You should weeb up and try some Ramune.
    BONITO! That's what it is, thanks. I was looking at the process they go through to make it, it's crazy! I'll check out Ramune. I just recently started adding an egg to Ramen and it just changes the entire thing. I ate way too much ramen when I was in boarding school in 7th grade and got sick of it so I didn't touch it again until recently, but if you think of it more as a convenient and fast base for other stuff, man you can make it pretty awesome.

You should weeb up and try some Ramune.
    Don't do it.

JP has a lot of weird stuff, or flavors when it comes to candy which you wouldn't find anywhere else.
    I tried Sake Kit Kat a while back. It was weird af but pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Don't do it.