Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You think they'll be protestors when he goes to the UK?
    There's protesters when he goes to he toilet.

AKA writing an EO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I don't know, the notion that Trump is a petulant toddler is echoed by countries other than Britain. And by people in the American justice system. And by states in the union. And by many Americans in general.

I sense a theme.
    And a significant portion of his own party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    So, Trump isn't fit to address Parliament, but somehow he is fit to be POTUS? Can anyone not see the anomaly here? He won the election, like or loathe him he represents the people of the US. Bercow is slapping your democracy in the face and you lot are cheering him on.
    Yes, the anomaly here is that we here in the UK aren't US citzens and we aren't the same country. Puzzling I realise since we speak the same language and all but it's one of those peculiarities you will have to accept at some point. We didn't vote for Trump but the US did and we can respect that, what we don't have to do though is let him speak in Parliament, we reserve that honour for people we actually respect (not to be confused with the American people who we broadly do respect) who might have something decent to say rather than a man that can't give a speech without making the main subject of it himself. The State Visit isn't a given even for the US President.

Bercow is not slapping our democracy in the face, he's doing his job. Trump polls here just as appallingly as he does over in the US, the majority of us do not want the man anywhere near our Parliament so it's the complete opposite of him "slapping our democracy in the face".

10+ Year Old Account
    So, Trump isn't fit to address Parliament, but somehow he is fit to be POTUS? Can anyone not see the anomaly here? He won the election, like or loathe him he represents the people of the US. Bercow is slapping your democracy in the face and you lot are cheering him on.
    He is not fit to be the POTUS either. Besides, according to the UK system, Trump is not a democratically elected president, since Hillary won the popular vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Pretty sure that actually doing the opposite, since you know this imply not doing what the electorate would want. The people of Britain do not get to vote for Donald Trump and they poll overwhelmingly against him, as do most western countries, even the more right wings ones. So its unlikely Trump gets much visit time to speak to officials outside of real group gathering. You voted this clown, your allies dont have to put up with him.

I mean they are gona have to listen to his ramble during G8 and G20. Give them a break?
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-13 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Yes, the anomaly here is that we here in the UK aren't US citzens and we aren't the same country. Puzzling I realise since we speak the same language and all but it's one of those peculiarities you will have to accept at some point. We didn't vote for Trump but the US did and we can respect that, what we don't have to do though is let him speak in Parliament, we reserve that honour for people we actually respect (not to be confused with the American people who we broadly do respect) who might have something decent to say rather than a man that can't give a speech without making the main subject of it himself. The State Visit isn't a given even for the US President.

Bercow is not slapping our democracy in the face, he's doing his job. Trump polls here just as appallingly as he does over in the US, the majority of us do not want the man anywhere near our Parliament so it's the complete opposite of him "slapping our democracy in the face".
    It has nothing to do with who the UK would have voted for or how popular Trump is in the UK. He is the president of the UK's supposedly biggest and closest ally. That alone should be enough to give him the honour to speak in the house of commons. You are effectively saying Trump doesn't meet a certain standard, and the US citizens are idiots for electing him. You cannot insult Trump in this way without insulting the people he represents.

Your last sentence gives it away, Becow isn't doing his job he is doing what is popular with the media. He's a pathetic little man grasping at the limelight.

It has nothing to do with who the UK would have voted for or how popular Trump is in the UK. He is the president of the UK's supposedly biggest and closest ally. That alone should be enough to give him the honour to speak in the house of commons. You are effectively saying Trump doesn't meet a certain standard, and the US citizens are idiots for electing him. You cannot insult Trump in this way without insulting the people he represents.

Your last sentence gives it away, Becow isn't doing his job he is doing what is popular with the media. He's a pathetic little man grasping at the limelight.
    It most certaintly should not, and is not.

Bercow is the speaker - he decides who does and who does not speak. That is literally his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Does it really surprise people that the UK version of Liberals are as much of Children as Americas?
    I do find it strange that what the US defines as "Liberals" we call "Conservatives."

So we should just bend over and take it even if we dislike the guy. (Plus the fact 3million+ more voted against him than for him). Yeah fuck that. No matter if he brought back Churchill bust into the white house. We're not vassal state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Pretty sure that actually doing the opposite, since you know this imply not doing what the electorate would want. The people of Britain do not get to vote for Donald Trump and they poll overwhelmingly against him, as do most western countries, even the more right wings ones. So its unlikely Trump gets much visit time to speak to officials outside of real group gathering. You voted this clown, your allies dont have to put up with him.

I mean they are gona have to listen to his ramble during G8 and G20. Give them a break?
    Okay, so because Trump is so unpopular within Britain does that mean the UK should cancel any alliance with the US? As you just said, the UK don't get to vote for the US president, so by what right do they get to dictate to the USA who they should and shouldn't vote for?

Imagine if Hillary won and Bercow pulled this stunt and stopped her addressing Parliament because of her corruption scandal. Yeah, I bet that would have gotten a different response on this forum. I bet you leftoid hypocrites would be screaming that Bercow was a misogynist git.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if Hillary won and Bercow pulled this stunt and stopped her addressing Parliament because of her corruption scandal. Yeah, I bet that would have gotten a different response on this forum. I bet you leftoid hypocrites would be screaming that Bercow was a misogynist git.
    You are pretty good at pointing out imaginary hypocrisy in imaginary scenarios, I'll give you that.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Okay, so because Trump is so unpopular within Britain does that mean the UK should cancel any alliance with the US? As you just said, the UK don't get to vote for the US president, so by what right do they get to dictate to the USA who they should and shouldn't vote for?

No the parliament is not forced to do anything for the president of your country. Also the allies go beyond a single man that is your president, as has already been said only 4 of your president ever got to speak there to begin with. The parliament primary job is to actually do what its own population would want. You can vote for who you want, but only a baby cant understand others dont have do bow down to it.

If Hillary won and was this garbage, its unlikely shed got to speak there either. Hell its unlikely May would have even tryed to force in an invitation to her.

He is doing 100% his job. If you think the UK will be the only one, get ready for a next 4 years of Trump talking to himself. Your own country political shitstorm does not need to be exported to others, keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-13 at 04:27 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Threatening to start war because you don't get your way is textbook childishness.
    I agree.

You seem to think a State Visit is something we afford to every US President, we don't. George W. Bush never got one and he became Tony Blair's BFF in our closest period yet. Neither Roosevelt or Truman despite the US being Europes saviour during WWII (fair play Roosevelt was dead but.....). Not giving Trump a State Visit is not a snub, being given the opportunity to take part in a State Visit is an honour we visit upon the worthy. The error was on May in treating it as a way to curry favour with a man that is obviously susceptible to having his ego stroked.

I never used idiot and I'd never disparage anyone that thought they were voting for Trump for a good reason which is why I said we respect the right for the US to vote in Trump. This doesn't automatically have to mean that we agree with everything the man does nor prevent us from heaping scorn on an obviously unpleasant individual. If you want to call Trump supporters idiots then that's your problem and your words, not mine.

John Bercow is indeed a little man grasping at the limelight but for a pleasant change he's actually got it right this time.

- - - Updated - - -

As you just said, the UK don't get to vote for the US president, so by what right do they get to dictate to the USA who they should and shouldn't vote for?
    We don't and haven't. Keep tilting for those windmills Don Quixote.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    So how's that Brexit going?
    The man is unwelcome pretty much everywhere. Especially in Europe.

No the parliament is not forced to do anything for the president of your country. Also the allies go beyond a single man that is your president, as has already been said only 4 of your president ever got to speak there to begin with. The parliament primary job is to actually do what its own population would want. You can vote for who you want, but only a baby cant understand others dont have do bow down to it.

If Hillary won and was this garbage, its unlikely shed got to speak there either. Hell its unlikely May would have even tryed to force in an invitation to her.

He is doing 100% his job. If you think the UK will be the only one, get ready for a next 4 years of Trump talking to himself. Your own country political shitstorm does not need to be exported to others, keep it to yourself.
    I apologise for the confusion, but I'm not from the US and neither am I from the UK. I'm just an neutral observer that is totally amazed at the hoops people are willing to jump through just to denigrate an elected president.

I apologise for the confusion, but I'm not from the US and neither am I from the UK. I'm just an neutral observer that is totally amazed at the hoops people are willing to jump through just to denigrate an elected president.
    Vladimir Putin is an elected president. Should the world grovel before him too? Or before Robert Mugabe?

The point is that the title is meaningless if the person holding it is a farce or scummy.

What hoops, whens the last time Vladimir Putin was asked to speak in the UK parliament? Xi Jinping? Being the president of a country does not give you any right to address another country parliament. There are already people he can speak to, the prime minister/president or the representative of a country in its embassy on US soil. If the people of the UK do not want Trump in the parliament, it would actually be not doing its job as a parliament to let him visit period. The queen and the prime minister can suck his toes, but the parliament is something else.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-13 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Vladimir Putin is an elected president. Should the world grovel before him too? Or before Robert Mugabe?

The point is that the title is meaningless if the person holding it is a farce or scummy.
    So we are comparing Trump to dictators and despots now? Xi Jinping was given the honour to address both houses, what makes him better than the President of the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    So we are comparing Trump to dictators and despots now? Xi Jinping was given the honour to address both houses, what makes him better than the President of the US?
    Xi Jinping is a dictator that can speak intelligently and decently. Donald Trump is a wannabe-dictator that cannot. That's all the difference, really.

What hoops, whens the last time Vladimir Putin was asked to speak in the UK parliament? Xi Jinping? Being the president of a country does not give you any right to address another country parliament. There are already people he can speak to, the prime minister/president or the representative of a country in its embassy on US soil. If the people of the UK do not want Trump in the parliament, it would actually be not doing its job as a parliament to let him visit period. The queen and the prime minister can suck his toes, but the parliament is something else.
    Xi Jinping addressed both house in October 2015. I wonder how popular he was in the UK? Were the people of the UK asked if he should be given the honour? How are you measuring how popular Trump is in the UK? By phone poll? We all know how accurate polling is in the UK when every media outlet got brexit wrong and the last UK election horribly wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Xi Jinping is a dictator that can speak intelligently and decently. Donald Trump is a wannabe-dictator that cannot. That's all the difference, really.
    So maybe all Trump needs is an interpreter